Give us hope! What schools are you NOT accepting?

sonnyday

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just declined my offers from Florida, Georgia, and Wisconsin. I received funding to all three, so hopefully this will help any of you who were waitlisted for funding by Florida or Georgia!

So, are you gonna be a Buckeye?

As a person whose last hope for a funded offer this year might be getting accepted from a waitlist, it might help some of us if those who don't plan to accept waitlist offers send a note to the appropriate department letting them know that you're no longer interested.

I don't know what concrete good it will do, but such a note could potentially save the department from having to issue additional offers and relieve some stress off of those anxiously waiting. :)

So I initially found it a bit awkward to decline from the wait list - turning down an offer no one had made me seemed presumptuous - but I eventually sent this to one of my schools. If anyone else is in this position and wants to know what sort of thing to say, you could probably do worse:

Professor [NAME],

Thank you for providing this information. I'm glad to have received such careful

consideration from [sCHOOL]. I read through the details on the attached letter,

and in the past week I've given plenty of thought to the options in front of me

as far as where I will begin my study next year. I have decided to accept an offer

from another program. I thought it would best to provide this information now out

of respect for your admissions committee and the other students on the wait list.

If the committee would like any information about the institution at which I have

enrolled or the factors influencing my decision, I'd be happy to provide it.

Thanks again for your time and attention,

Matthew

"

As a person whose last hope for a funded offer this year might be getting accepted from a waitlist, it might help some of us if those who don't plan to accept waitlist offers send a note to the appropriate department letting them know that you're no longer interested.

You're on the waitlist for the financial aid package, right? If you have not been accepted formally and are just on a regular waitlist at ucla, keep in mind that you might not even get funding even if you're bumped up.

Yeah, I'm on the regular waitlist and realize that I will probably not get funding from UCLA if I'm bumped up. I'm thinking I've been waitlisted by Northwestern at this point, though, although I realize that my chances of getting an offer there are probably pretty low.

I'm turning down NYU and OSU today. I'm pretty certain at this point that I'm going to Rochester, so I will probably turn down UCSD and Wisconsin (and withdraw from waitlists at Harvard and Michigan) in the next week or so.

Yeah, I'm on the regular waitlist and realize that I will probably not get funding from UCLA if I'm bumped up. I'm thinking I've been waitlisted by Northwestern at this point, though, although I realize that my chances of getting an offer there are probably pretty low.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you mdnicx42! Hopefully you'll be in Evanston come fall and we will be chattering away in a certain foreign language you speak so well :wink: