History of Christianity or Theology?

Therewillbeluke

Hey all,

I'm applied to a few M* level programs and am trying to decide between applying with a concentration in History of Christianity or in Theology. I am a double major in Religion and History, which leads me to want to try to blend the two disciplines by pursuing the History track. However I feel as if Theology would give me more room to maneuver in my studies.

Any thoughts?

P.S. The programs I'm considering are Chicago, Yale Divinity, Saint Louis, Fordham, Notre Dame, Boston College, and St. John's School of Theology/Seminary

You may want to give some more information about your interests so folks can best advise you on what school(s) is appropriate. Just FYI, St. John's is fairly conservative, from what I could gather while I was at BC. They are (as you might imagine) mostly male seminarians that take more of a pastoral role, rather than the 'historical-critical' approach you would find at the other seminaries listed. As far as faculty broadly in 'history' BC, ND, YDS, and Chicago are going to dominate the others (with many more students, too). The running joke, which I *think* still applies, is the Protestant schools are always great for bible and the Catholic schools good for history; my time at BC and now Duke confirms this theory! Anyways, all joking aside, others who have experience at the others listed will chime in I'm sure.

cheers

Broadly speaking, I would agree with jdmhotness. I did my M* at a Protestant divinity school and am now doing a Ph.D. in patristic/medieval theology at BC, an era of history that Catholic schools (especially Notre Dame and BC) seem to be particularly strong in. This may not be the case should you have a different historical period in mind (e.g., nineteenth-century American history or theology in the Protestant Reformation). To your question concerning history as opposed to theology, I wouldn't worry about this too much. The likelihood is that you will either pursue an MTS (such as at ND, BC, Duke, HDS, etc.), or an MA of some sort (cf. Yale, Chicago). These programs should include a core curriculum of both historical and theological courses and, through your experience of those courses and conversations with your teachers, you will be able to decide which you would like to emphasize. You will have "room to maneuver" in either area, but it may not be necessary to make that choice quite yet (most people have a change in interest during their M* studies anyway). The more important question is, what aspect of history/historical theology/theology are you interested in? Which school would be able to support you better with that emphasis? Also, practical questions such as funding, placement record (I assume you have some sort of academic telos in mind) and, yes, even geography, should play an important role. My advice is to apply to a variety and then make the decision once you have offers before you.

All the best during this time of discernment and application.

You might also consider Princeton Theological Seminary. At the master's level, they offer tons of courses in theology and church history. At the Ph.D. level, you can do historical theology in either department, depending on what you want to emphasize more, i.e., the historical aspect or the theological aspect.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm interested in the medieval period, particularly monasticism, church reform, and Franciscan theology. However I am also interested in issues such as creation/ecological theology and post-modern theology, which leads me to consider theology rather than history. In short, I am deeply interested in history, but I am interested in more than reconstruction the past, I also want to be able to link the issues of the past to contemporary/trans-historical issues.

I guess I'm really just looking to do Historical Theology.

Thank jdmhotness for the info on St. Johns.

Thanks for the info guys, I'm interested in the medieval period, particularly monasticism, church reform, and Franciscan theology. However I am also interested in issues such as creation/ecological theology and post-modern theology, which leads me to consider theology rather than history. In short, I am deeply interested in history, but I am interested in more than reconstruction the past, I also want to be able to link the issues of the past to contemporary/trans-historical issues.

I guess I'm really just looking to do Historical Theology.

Thank jdmhotness for the info on St. Johns.

Thanks for that information, ThereWillBe. Then I don't think Princeton Seminary will be a fit for you...that was why I asked :)

Actually, Princeton Seminary has a number of people that ThereWillBe might be interested in working with. In Church history, you might be interested in Paul Rorem or Kathleen McVey, although McVey's interests might be a little earlier in time than yours. In Theology, you can check out William Stacy Johnson and Mark Taylor. Johnson seems to be working on creation/ecological theology and has been doing post-modern theology for a while. Taylor does postmodern stuff and critical theory as well. Also in Theology is Ellen Charry, who deals with patristics, medieval mysticism, and contemporary theology. You can also check out John Bowlin, who is a top-notch scholar of Aquinas. If you apply to do historical theology through the Theology department, then you can do the constructive stuff you're interested in with Johnson, Taylor, and Charry and the historical stuff with Rorem or McVey.

Actually, Princeton Seminary has a number of people that ThereWillBe might be interested in working with. In Church history, you might be interested in Paul Rorem or Kathleen McVey, although McVey's interests might be a little earlier in time than yours. In Theology, you can check out William Stacy Johnson and Mark Taylor. Johnson seems to be working on creation/ecological theology and has been doing post-modern theology for a while. Taylor does postmodern stuff and critical theory as well. Also in Theology is Ellen Charry, who deals with patristics, medieval mysticism, and contemporary theology. You can also check out John Bowlin, who is a top-notch scholar of Aquinas. If you apply to do historical theology through the Theology department, then you can do the constructive stuff you're interested in with Johnson, Taylor, and Charry and the historical stuff with Rorem or McVey.

Oops. Missed ThereWillBe's note on creation/eco-theology bit there. Yeah, that's great advice. Does Rorem cover monasticism and Franciscan theology, though?

Thanks all,

I definitely want to puruse history at SLU, Fordham, or Chicago. Yale, Notre Dame, and Boston are the one's I'm up in the air about if anyone has info on these programs.

Given your interests, did you happen to look at SBU? You certainly can't get a program more deeply into Franciscan theology than that one!

• 3 weeks later...

Notre Dame's "History of Christianity" track is within the Theology department. HC requires that you have a major period (early/medieval/early modern/modern) and a minor period as well as an 'external' minor (meaning another track in Theology, like systematics). If you came to ND, you could do HC with a minor in systematics and do what you want.