SFSU MSW Application for Fall 2013

Kuchan

Hi, those who are applying for SFSU MSW program!!

I have a question about MSW application.

I'm from Japan and finished my CSU mentor application on October 2nd.

According to the guideline, I'm suposed to be emailed the MSW application link and be able to download forms after I finish my CSU mentor application.

However,I haven't received it yet.

I emailed the department, but have gotten no reply.

I also called them, but their voicemail was full.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

I'm kind of anxious because I have to tell the details about recommendation letters to my reference ASAP.

• 4 weeks later...

I received an email from the SFSU admissions department a few days after I submitted my CSU Mentor application. The email included my Student ID number and I was given a link that would allow me to check my application status. They have links on the SFSU MSW website to all of the documents that you need to complete your application, so if you haven't seen those just visit the website.

Thank you paige_elizabeth10,

I was able to get the application forms on the website!!

It seemed like they were not ready for the forms when I finished the CSU application.

Again, thank you very much!!

Kuchan

I 'm not going to send my resume, because the instruction says not to submit any additional materials other than what is requested.

Also, there is a part in the application about employment or volunteer experience in the human/social service field, so it seems like that they reagard it as a resume.

You might want to ask the department to make it sure... :unsure:

Edited by Kuchan

I saw that as well. I have my verification letters from employers but I still have to fill out the experience part of the application. I guess I'll just have to make sure that I mention my academic stuff in my statements!

Just called them--they only require the verification letters.

Edited by paige_elizabeth10

Hey, are you going to submit transcripts both to the university and the department?

I thought I only needed to send them to the University, but the application check list says"MSW application (including transcripts)."

It's confusing....

• 5 weeks later...

I know this is is probably too late to be helpful, but for SFSU you actually do have to send TWO copies of your official transcript, one to graduate admissions and one to the social work department. I emailed the department to confirm because it was confusing... Since you got everything else in, I'm thinking they might still accept that extra transcript after the deadline. It wouldn't hurt to try! If you log in at sfsu.edu/admit there's a "to do" list, which will probably include that extra transcript copy. The graduate admissions mailing address is there.

Thanks, I just called graduate studies and they said that they don't really have a deadline for transcripts, but that the Social Work program is highly competitive and very strict and won't start reviewing my application until everything is in by the 15th...which has clearly passed. So I called the SW department and no one picked up (they are super hard to get a hold of, I have called them several times before and haven't had a whole lot of luck).

Maybe this is my frustration speaking, but I have been incredibly underwhelmed by the application process at SFSU. The directions for applying are vague, some of the documents they use are outdated (not a big thing, but it kind of annoyed me), I had to mail everything in which is a little stressful, and it is ridiculously hard to get a hold of someone in the department to get questions answered. I don't know, for such a competitive program, they don't seem to be too effective/organized. <_<

Just spoke with the SW department, they said as long as I submitted transcripts to the SW department, they don't care that I haven't gotten them to the graduate studies department. Phew! I'm still kind of peeved, but I definitely feel better.

I completely agree about their application process. I applied for the Title IV-E stipend which was another ordeal -- separate mailed application (the formatting was a MESS with headers randomly in the middle of each page), extra reference letter with additional questions, etc -- and I got different answers from different people about the instructions. In that case I did get quick responses (by email) but the fact that two people immediately gave me two different answers made me feel like they were both just responding in order to respond, without actually knowing the right answer...

Oh geez, that is a mess, I'm sorry to hear you also had troubles (but I'm glad I'm not alone!). Its just really frustrating because I know that my chances are already pretty slim (they only accept around 17 percent of applicants??) so I don't want to have anything working against me.

Anyway, thank you again for prompting me to do that, I've been working on other apps and never really took the time to check my SFSU status, so I never even saw that I was missing transcripts.

Speaking of frustrating, I just got an email warning me that my app is incomplete! The only thing showing up is the residency questionnaire due in July... I'll send it ASAP so they don't keep emailing me (this is the 3rd or 4th email they've sent) but it seems odd that the residency Q is not even due by the regular deadline and it's still making my app "incomplete"...Argh!

I heard (friend of a friend -- not sure how accurate) that SFSU has a really small program, 20-25 people per class, which is what makes it competitive relative to the number of people who apply.

By the way, I'm in the Bay Area but also applying to UW -- I see you're in Seattle...did you apply there? I haven't visited but have I feeling I'd like it! :)

Residency questionnaire, is that for California applicants only? I'm tired of getting the "your application is incomplete" emails as well, its pretty anxiety inducing.

I have heard/read similar things as well, so I am definitely not getting my hopes up. I just really love San Francisco so that's the main reason I applied...

Yes I did apply to UW, that is my number one choice! I applied to the early action deadline because I really want to up my chances of getting in. Seattle is a gorgeous city, I'm so lucky to have grown up in such a beautiful area. The UW campus is pretty awesome as well. I didn't go there for undergrad (I went to a private school in Oregon) but I have a lot of friends who go to UW and I've only heard great things. If you get a chance, you should definitely make your way to the Puget Sound area--even if you don't go to UW, Seattle is just a great place to be anyway :D

Yes, the questionnaire is only for CA applicants. I qualify as a resident but based on the info in the app they "can't determine" if I qualify or not, so there's this added questionnaire.

Good luck with UW! That's great that you made the early deadline. I used to live in Portland and I love the Pacific Northwest. I'm happy here and UC Berkeley is my first choice, but if I get into UW I will be SURE to take a trip!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty late to this, but I agree with everyone's statements about how unorganized and confusing the application process was.  I didn't realize that I had to have transcripts submitted with the application until about ten days prior to the deadline when I was about to send it off and I freaked the F out.  I ended up having to shell out over $60 on expediting transcripts and overnighting the application to get it in on time because of the confusion, since one of my transcripts had to be picked up from a community college that is 300 miles away and I wasn't going to be in town until the 12th!  Their deadline was months before most school's deadlines, yet it took them longer to get the correct documents posted that needed to be completed with the application.  I really feel that they should clearly state what they want in the packet.  How hard is it to state that you must submit OFFICIAL transcripts to the university AND in the application packet?

• 1 month later...

I actually think SFSU's application process is way simpler than other schools I've applied to. Quick and easy applications, they asked for the least documents and forms to fill out. I applied at another school that required an 8-11 page statement of purpose. Talk about frustrating...

The MSW applications for all schools is really frustrating in general becuase it felt like I had to dig for more information.

I agree the deadline really threw me off because it was so early but I didn't mind because that meant they would get back to me earlier!

Are you referring to SJSU?  I wrote 11 pgs for their statement of purpose and it was sooo exhausting.  Another reason I wish I could know sooner from them if I got in or not because I just poured so much time and effort into their statement of purpose.  I don't know how others did both that app. and still managed to apply to other SW grad departments. phew!

I actually think SFSU's application process is way simpler than other schools I've applied to. Quick and easy applications, they asked for the least documents and forms to fill out. I applied at another school that required an 8-11 page statement of purpose. Talk about frustrating...

The MSW applications for all schools is really frustrating in general becuase it felt like I had to dig for more information.

I agree the deadline really threw me off because it was so early but I didn't mind because that meant they would get back to me earlier!

Are you referring to SJSU?  I wrote 11 pgs for their statement of purpose and it was sooo exhausting.  Another reason I wish I could know sooner from them if I got in or not because I just poured so much time and effort into their statement of purpose.  I don't know how others did both that app. and still managed to apply to other SW grad departments. phew!

OMG yes! I applied last year and I wasn't notified until May... TWICE. They e-mailed me a letter and also mailed me a different letter, sucks to be denied once but twice. It sucked. LOL

OMG yes! I applied last year and I wasn't notified until May... TWICE. They e-mailed me a letter and also mailed me a different letter, sucks to be denied once but twice. It sucked. LOL

Oh no. I really hope they notify sooner than in May!!  Do you know if they notify sooner if they know you've applied to the Title IV-E Stipend Program? That's due April 1st and interviews are April 22nd and May 14th but they must know if you've even been accepted to the university by then?

I think if I honestly have to wait 2 more months to know I may just vomit. lol  The worst is that SJSU seems to have NO tracking information.  You have to find out yourself just to confirm that your app is complete.  I hate reading that others are able to check their page status, etc. etc. I mean, there wasn't even an automated response to emails when submitting materials just to let you know right then that it had gotten to the correct inbox. blegh.

What was your undergrad degree in?

• 3 weeks later...