NSF EAPSI 2013

Pauli

China group already has a facebook group thanks to the email Elena sent out with everyone's email address. When I told my advisor that I created a facebook group she responded with  "of course you did."  :D

China group already has a facebook group thanks to the email Elena sent out with everyone's email address. When I told my advisor that I created a facebook group she responded with  "of course you did."  :D

Thanks a lot for that idea, I started one for the NZ people as well!

Eastern_wind, my labmate was in the NZ program last year and is back in NZ now.  PM me if you'd like to bug her about her experience.

this is kind of ridiculous - but how can I find my title for my project? I forget what I put, and it is not in any of the documents I uploaded. It was (if I recall correctly) an entry field on the application.

dcfryxell, your title will be finalized at the pre-orientation.  We will have a group-wide activity where we will all tweak our titles, and then we will re-submit our finalized titles to the coordinators after our pre-orientation.

Thanks @GarbageNerdUCF I didn't even think about doing that.  

So, we'll all meet up at the hotel then, I assume?  

I'll message out my number so it's easier to get in touch on Monday..

So, we'll all meet up at the hotel then, I assume?  

Good question, ajcsh15.  I have a suggested schedule below.

11:30 AM - 12:30 PM

japple and Pauli arriving to airport and chilling out at Starbucks near American Airlines check-in counter and National Airport metro station.  Since japple arrives before Pauli, Pauli will call japple once he arrives.

12:30 PM - 3:00 PM

Pauli will discuss EAPSI Singapore stuff and might stick around a bit at Starbucks or other nearby places in the terminal (e.g., TGI Friday's).  japple is free to stick around or head to the hotel early, but Pauli will be around for the remaining mid-afternoon arrivals of the other EAPSI fellows.

3:00 PM - 3:30 PM

GarbageNerdUCF, gzahn, ajcsh15, and Eastern_wind will be arriving during the 2:00 pm hour block for possible meet-up with at least Pauli at the airport Starbucks or similar location.  Then we will all take the metro train together from the airport to the hotel.  Pauli will call the 2:00 PM hour block arrivals (if they already PM'd me their cell number) shortly after they land and will also call japple if she decided to head back to the hotel early.

3:30 PM - 4:00 PM
Afternoon arrivals will check-in at the hotel.  Most likely will be crowded as a bunch of people will be arriving around that time, with early arrivals having already lingered around the hotel.  Ah well, that's life.  Guess we'll just wait in line behind them.

4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Drop off luggage in our hotel rooms and then meet back in the lobby for possible plans as a group or break off into individual activities.  Ideas include chatting at Starbucks, hanging out at Kelly's (a dive bar), grabbing a small late lunch in the area (and then eating dinner later at like 7:00 pm or 7:30 pm), cherry blossoms sightseeing, riding the metro to more interesting areas of D.C., and so on.  Will call pig to see if he finished his city tour, and will call dcfryxell and CountingSeeds shortly after their flights arrive.

6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Group dinner at the hotel restaurant.  We'll talk about our war stories from the forum and logistics stuff for the pre-orientation and upcoming summer fellowship.

8:00 PM+
Possible after-dinner plans.  TBD during dinner.

If you don't have my number yet, PM me for cell number exchange.  Yay!
Edited by Pauli

Congrats to all of this year's fellows. I didn't apply this year because I learned of the program too late, but will be applying next year and wanted to ask a favor while many of you are still hanging around. Would anyone be willing to share a copy of their application? I've not been able to find a single sample application for EAPSI. I really don't even need to see the research proposal part of it, if anyone is worried about me stealing their ideas, and I'm a physiologist, so I get the feeling I wouldn't know the first thing about many of your projects anyway! Thanks!

guttata, PM me so I can send you my accepted 2012 and 2013 app materials.

Edited by Pauli

I think I'm going to go to the smithsonian monday. I'm interested in the american history museum. My flight gets in at about 4, but the smithsonian has extended hours till 7:30.

If anyone is interested in joining me, let me know.

@nadasade, see a few posts back.  Pauli has laid out a pretty great schedule for several of the fellows arriving at DCA around that time.  Looks like starbucks is a likely meet-up point before heading to the hotel via metro together. 

@pauli, Starbucks is near the metro station, so an easy find?  I've never flown into Reagen before .. always Dulles.     

ajcsh15, yep.  The metro station (National Airport station) is directly connected to Reagan Airport, and the current Starbucks meet-up is located inside the airport close to the metro station entrance.  It can be found more or less easily on the 2nd floor (where the metro station entrance is) across from the American Airlines check-in counter and in the vicinity of the TGI Friday's (that one is hard to miss).  Pic for reference!

2750718_GYs_vAr7E_FdSPQNlDeTSRvTOFVWNoK_

Hey EAPSI fellows, for those who haven't exchanged cell numbers with me and wanted to meet up in D.C. for Day 1, go ahead and PM me so that we can exchange info.  See you all in D.C. later today!

Ah, well that was a good time people.  Looking forward to seeing some of you again in Japan.  I sort of wish the NSF would host some sort of poster conference or something for all the EAPSI fellows after this is over so we can get an idea of what we all accomplished.

The thread is back! :D  And I totally agree, gzahn.  It would make a nice little mini-conference.  We should suggest that to Dr. Kimsey and Elena!

BTW, a general 2013 EAPSI Facebook group started by one of the fellows:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/159401120886878/

I wasn't that interested in joining at first, but then I realized that it would be a great way to exchange tips for inter-host country travel to visit other fellows, and would also make a great alternative place to discuss final report matters (which I wished we had in last year's program).

• 6 months later...

Would any of last year's applicants who got accepted be willing to send me a copy of their application? I'm applying this year and it really just helps boost my confidence and gives me some guidance to see what other people have done in the past. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah!  Speaking of final reports, is there a source for completed examples of one of these?  The Japan kids are discussing this on our facebook group but no one seems to be confident in what a final report is supposed to "look like" in terms of formatting etc...

Yeah!  Speaking of final reports, is there a source for completed examples of one of these?  The Japan kids are discussing this on our facebook group but no one seems to be confident in what a final report is supposed to "look like" in terms of formatting etc...

The Japan program guys had similar discussions in their Facebook group last year, and pretty much people had similar confusions for the final report. You can check out the EAPSI 2012 thread for these discussions (I don't remember if it was in that thread or in the corresponding Facebook group discussions), but to summarize, basically just fill it out to the best of your ability. I recall last year that most fellows didn't really start working on the final report until about a day or two before deadline.

In case people haven't started or are confused about getting started on the final report and outcomes due on December 1, here's the quick start steps:

1. Go to Research.gov (http://www.research.gov) and log in as NSF user with the same credentials as your FastLane credentials.
  2. On the Project Reporting Dashboard, click Project Outcome Report.
  3. Click the Reports Due < 12 Months tab.
  4. Outcomes Report
    1. Click on the Create/Edit link.
    2. Fill out the text form and submit when done.
  5. Final Report
    1. Click on the Create/Edit link.
    2. Complete each of the seven sections and submit.

Some quick notes:

• I'm too lazy to see if the online document guidelines for the EAPSI Final Report and Outcomes is updated to match the items for the contents on Research.gov, since things can change every year. Therefore, it might be a better idea to write the report directly from items explicitly shown on Research.gov.
  • Disregard the deadline about when it's due. The deadline listed is the government end-of-fiscal year date, which is not the actual December 1 deadline that is specific to the NSF EAPSI program.