Endnotes and Works Cited...required?

feraleyes

I have a query regarding length of the sample.....the programs I am mostly applying for ask for the length of the writing sample to be between 15 and 25 pages. Are the pages on Endnotes and Works Cited also a part of this or will they be counted as separate?

Some of the programs I'm looking at specifically say that the writing sample limit applies to "substantive text." But, it might be worth checking with the program to verify if you are worried.

• 3 weeks later...

The works cited page should definitely be included. It would look quite unprofessional to leave it out. This said, it wouldn't normally count toward the page limit (unless, of course, there is actually a limit in the online system on how many pages can be uploaded).

My suggestion is to turn your works cited into footnotes. That way you cite as you go along (even if it is an excerpt). I was told by a program that did not specify on their website or application that they expect you to be familiar with academic standards like citations.

The advice from my LOR writers was that a works cited page is important to show you are "up on the current literature." And I contacted three programs and asked if the works cited needed to be included in the page limit and they all said yes. So I think it depends on the field, but I would definitely ask to be sure about the page limits and also make sure you don't leave something out that you need to reflect your familiarity with current scholarship.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I used footnotes and left out a works cited page. I asked my advisors about it and that was the route they suggested. I'm in History so it might depend on the field.

I'd say any essay with 15 to 25 pages usually includes a reference list/bibliography. Using footnotes instead of the traditional page at the end is, I think, possible. Otherwise, I usually singlespace my references, so they don't take up too much room.

My advice would be to cite to the standards of your field. If your field doesn't use footnote citations then you shouldn't either. The programs that required a writing sample from me said that the limit needed to include the bibliography.

I will say, though, that if you have a 25 page limit and are worried about another page or two you might be able to look at your sample and say the same thing in a more succinct manner. You are trying to show them that you are capable of writing and doing research. You don't need to submit a complex paper with several arguments.

• 1 month later...

15 - 25 pages is a quite an open range, I had schools that advised that the writing sample be "about 20 pages" - not wiggle room at all! Since you've been given a wide range, I would assume that admissions committees might be put off by 1. a shorter sample of just barely 15 pages that is only pushed into the page range by the works cited or extensive endnotes OR 2. a sample that is 25 pages or over and goes into 27/28 pages with end notes and works cited. While you should never leave the works cited out of your paper, as long as your paper fits comfortably in the 15-25 page range, I would not stress over it.

Hope this helps!