HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

Thanks for the suggestion nicolemae :) 

Alright folks, sorry if this is making things complicated but I really want to make sure we're selecting the option that's in the best interest of the most people interested in attending, rather than guessing :) 

Please vote for the time that's best for you: HERE

In context of the holiday weekend, let's shoot to close voting midnight Monday April 1 so we can have still have enough time to make plans the rest of the weekend :) 

Hi everyone, lots has been discussed. im still catching up.

I'm attending the sessions on 6th, April -One Havard , the afternoon reception on 7th and my programs open house on the 8th. I'm hoping i'll be able to join everyone for the Gradcafe get together.

Now about the cafe and restaurant options.. so i live in Cambridge and for catching up  with my friends from HGSE i typically meet them at the foll places:

For tea/coffee:

Creme Cafe

Tealuxe

Starbucks

ABP

Panera Bread 

For lunch:

Flat patties - burgers and sandwiches 

Maharaja - Indian restaurant

Bertucci's - italian

Border Cafe - Tex-mex (seafood enchiladas, empanadas etc)

Chipotle - mexican

Tanjore - Indian

Wagamama - Asian (noodle and rice dishes, salads, fresh juices, wines, sake and asian beers )

I think we'll be in a better position to pick an option once we know the number of ppl and the time we'd be meeting at.

Hope this helps.

Edited by askamy

Cambridge Commons has the most varied beer on tap, but if there were more than say, ten or fifteen people trying to meet up it would get crowded quickly. I won't be able to make it sadly, but I am looking forward to seeing you all at the visitation day!

My friend who lived in Boston recommended Border Cafe as well askamy! I think he said he had a delicious crawdad enchilada.

I'm excited about Open House and visiting Cambridge/Boston for the first time! Oh and hopefully meeting some of y'all! :)

Well ya, Boardercafe is quite nice.. but for a big group we'd have to make a reservation... I will be happy to make a reservation even if i can't make it for the get together in case of a meeting clash...But let's first see where everyone else also wants to go. 

Edited by askamy

Sunshine, I emailed on Friday to see if we would get a confirmation. I will let you know what response I get. Getting so excited! Grew up in the NE, but never been to Boston or Cambridge. Also, I'm only getting a hotel for Friday night because my flight leaves so early on Sunday. Is there anyone willing to allow my bags to stay in there room Saturday until I head to the airport. Didn't really want to carry my suitcase around all day! Lol

Thanks EdYouKateOr! Also I would let you drop your bags where I'm staying but ill be at my friends parents hours an hour outside Boston so that probably won't work lol. I've found hotels to be really obliging about holding bags for me after I check out.

Guys I took my first steps in Cambridge yesterday and I am sooooooo in love! I'm especially in love with the HUH apartments on Grant and Banks Sts, so much charm, so close to campus, Harvard Sq, and the river!!

Edited by Sunshinegrl456

Sunshine, I emailed on Friday to see if we would get a confirmation. I will let you know what response I get. Getting so excited! Grew up in the NE, but never been to Boston or Cambridge. Also, I'm only getting a hotel for Friday night because my flight leaves so early on Sunday. Is there anyone willing to allow my bags to stay in there room Saturday until I head to the airport. Didn't really want to carry my suitcase around all day! Lol

I had to do this in Philly. I actually just left my bags with the GSE. It was really easy and they took care of them :). I bet HGSE would be just as accommodating.

Just got my FA package.

Here are the details to give everyone an idea of what theirs may look like, in case anyone has to wait an extra day or two:

HGSE Grant = $12,200

Federal Work Study = $5,000

Federal Perkins Loan = $6,000

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan = $20,500

Total Awards = $43,700

The remaining ~20k is going to need to come by way of a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. Here is the link to that because most people are going to need it according to an HGSE FA representative I spoke to a month or two ago:

http://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/financial_aid/loans/plus.html

Got my letter too. $7,600 in grants, plus $20,500 unsubsidized loans. Not even a work study bit or perkins loans. This means about 60k in loans since the rest will have to come from GradPLUS.  Harvard is looking a lot more unattractive :/ ugh, what to do?!

12k grant + 7k merit award puts me back to square 1 on my decision!  I know these are first world problems, but this is agonizing!  And I can't go to open house, which makes it much harder to decide!

12k grant + 7k merit award puts me back to square 1 on my decision!  I know these are first world problems, but this is agonizing!  And I can't go to open house, which makes it much harder to decide!

I feel you. I thought the loans would be worth it, but I've been poring over loan repayment calculators and I feel like it's definitely going to be a struggle to pay back 60k in loans in a reasonable amount of time (5-10 years was my goal). That is, unless HGSE leads me to an amazing, relatively well-paid job...  :( I'm also going to be pursuing a PhD within that time frame, too, so this is quite complicated. Right now it's between UCLA and HGSE for me. Help, anyone! help!!

Minor update: can't find any word on the matter from HGSE, but according to HLS, the restricted scholarships are university wide fund pools and count as "outside resources" leading me to think they're a separate notification process. When that happens, no idea currently. 

Correction:  I got a 7.6k "impact" award, not a merit award.  My mail gets sent to parents' house, so I didn't actually see the letter.  Does anyone know what an impact award is?