HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

Oh, gosh… I'm joining the gif craziness.

WHEN I GET THE "CHECK YOUR STATUS" EMAIL

2gv80o7.jpg

WHEN I CAN'T BRING MYSELF TO LOG IN

1zd6jgx.jpg

IF I'M ACCEPTED

xcve50.jpg

sy4by9.gif

HOW I'D FEEL ABOUT MYSELF FOR DAYS

16irtq8.jpg

30k7ecx.jpg

IF I'M REJECTED

1zmh201.jpg

b3o0id.jpg

AFTER BEING REJECTED...

WHEN ONE OF MY FRIENDS ASKS ME IF I'VE HEARD BACK FROM HARVARD

16k973r.jpg

WHEN Y'ALL GET IN AND I DIDN'T

tumblrmgpbx9cns81rs7tcn.gif

:)

Here's hoping we hear tomorrow!

Edited by educurious

I'm calling today at 5:22pm EST, only because I can't take more days of this, heh.

Also, I checked my status this morning (not sure why, lol) and I still have the status page. Why, oh why, do you drive us crazy, HGSE?

Awesome. Apparently now the storm that just hit the Midwest yesterday is headed for the northeast tomorrow...hopefully it doesn't mean more delays!

The forecasts I've read said it shouldn't affect Boston at all... Phew! I have a snow day here in MD at least today.

I'm still hoping for today! Maybe around 1PM. IDK.

I'm flying out to NYC today and am a little worried about things getting delayed because of this winter storm....ahem, HGSE! Hope decisions come out today, and weather.com didn't get it wrong lol.

Haha edcurious that was a hilarious string of GIFS.  Thank you.  I need to hear news.  I'm going crazy.  SOME news.  Fin aid, grad assistantship, HSGE.... I won publisher's clearing house?   That last one would be nice and make the first two less relevant.  Pretty sure you have to register for PCH. And be 80.  

I'd wager HGSE will send out decisions around the same time as the rest of the graduate programs at Harvard (HKS, HBS 2nd rd, etc) which should be towards the end of next week. Maybe even the week after since HGSE gives March 25 as the latest notification date.

Is anyone else planning to apply for graduate housing if you get accepted? Crazy that the application opened March 1st before all grad schools send out their acceptances! I'm limited to what they have to offer since I'll be married (June 15th!) and we have a miniature goldendoodle named Kingsley!

Is anyone else planning to apply for graduate housing if you get accepted? Crazy that the application opened March 1st before all grad schools send out their acceptances! I'm limited to what they have to offer since I'll be married (June 15th!) and we have a miniature goldendoodle named Kingsley!
I haven't thought that far lol but living near in Cambridge or Somerville would probably be more economic. I lived in Inman square (on the border of somerville and cambridge) and shared an apartment with 2 other people. My rent was $750 plus utilities. I know people had pets in my area because there was a park. Just a suggestion :-)

I lived in Cambridge for years and trust me, rent around Harvard is insane. It would be way better to commute in as EMG28 suggests. Somerville is a great suggestion as well.

I live in Cambridge between Central Square and Harvard Square.  You can find some cheaper locations where I am and still be close to the Red line and can walk into Harvard.  Look into Riverside and Cambridgeport areas of Cambridge.  I moved here from Denver and let me tell you I am paying much more for a place with fewer amenities.  I have begun to get over it after a year plus of living here but I still miss that garage for my car (especially when the snow is coming)!  I also have a roommate and a very small room.

Ok is this the time we start going crazy and people begin posting.  I am slightly more focused at work today but am ready to lose all motivation the rest of the day :) .

Thanks for the insight into housing, Cambridge-ites! (I'm sure that's not right but I wanted to try it out anyway, heh.) After doing some research it seems like rent is super high around Harvard Square, but it seems like Harvard's graduate housing has some apartment complexes and a dorm available. I definitely plan on looking into their rates and details if I do get in.

I agree with Loseric.  It would be ideal to be close to school so I'm not opposed to living in a dorm.  I don't know anything about Boston living.  I haven't been since i was in high school.  It will be an interesting process trying to figure that all out if I do get in.  

Ok is this the time we start going crazy and people begin posting.  I am slightly more focused at work today but am ready to lose all motivation the rest of the day :) .

I'm telling myself that I am only allowed to freak out between the hours of 3 pm and 6 pm (central time) Monday through Friday until the day that we hear, since I suspect it will be in that time-frame, no matter what day it is.  

I'm telling myself that I am only allowed to freak out between the hours of 3 pm and 6 pm (central time) Monday through Friday until the day that we hear, since I suspect it will be in that time-frame, no matter what day it is.  

Good point.  However, I keep checking this forum because it makes me feel connected haha.  

Good point.  However, I keep checking this forum because it makes me feel connected haha.  

I totally agree with you!!

It's so nice to see so many like minded people and that somehow seems to ease the tension of the waiting game a little bit

With regards to living in Boston, if you live in Somerville, it's very easy to get into Harvard as others have previously mentioned. I'd also recommend Cambridgeport - it's in between Central (MIT) and Harvard Squares, close to a whole foods, etc, and cheap compared to Harvard. EDIT: and you're next to the river, so easy access for the running path!

Edited by nerdvana

Haha. I literally just told my fiancee the same thing in a text. She keeps texting to see if I've heard anything. :lol:

To all thinking about where to live, Cambridge, or even Somerville, is really easy for commuters. I worked in Kendall Sq for a couple of years and lived closer to Porter Sq (past Harvard) and the commute was great. I rode my bike to work everyday and took the T if there was snow on the ground. Super quick and easy. I'd advise against living in Harvard student housing unless you absolutely have to be right next to the university. It's a lot more expensive and you usually get less bang for your buck. 

Edited by vincehoward

Haha. I literally just told my fiancee the same thing in a text. She keeps texting to see if I've heard anything. :lol:

Yeah. I have a bunch of friends messaging me asking if I've heard. Now my rambling about HGSE is backfiring.

To all thinking about where to live, Cambridge, or even Somerville, is really easy for commuters. I worked in Kendall Sq for a couple of years and lived closer to Porter Sq (past Harvard) and the commute was great. I rode my bike to work everyday and took the T if there was snow on the ground. Super quick and easy. I'd advise against living in Harvard student housing unless you absolutely have to be right next to the university. It's a lot more expensive and you usually get less bang for your buck. 

Thanks for the tip, vincehoward! I was considering going for grad housing... Maybe I'll give it second thoughts. I know that if I end up in DC I will be apartment hunting, so I might as well sharpen my skillz in both cities. Anyone have luck with any housing websites? I sort of idly browse Padmapper, which maps a collation of Craigslist and a few other sites' postings, whenever I need distractions. Maybe I should do that now, haha...