Study Psychology in Germany?

DorothyHarper

I already have a Bachelor's in Psychology, but I'm thinking to continue my post-graduate studies somewhere in Germany.

Does anyone know any good university that offers quality education for Master's degree, and the tuition is not too expensive?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I don't know a lot of the programs available; however, worst case scenario, you can get additional loans to cover your overseas tuition: http://www.internationalstudentloan.com/foreign_enrolled/ This is a program that let's you get more loans than you normally would through Stafford for US citizens that are enrolling overseas.

I am right now doing my Erasmus in Germany, in Tubingen more precisely... I am not German, and I more in the neuroscience field but maybe if you're interested in Tubingen I can help you some. Anyway, here there s hould be no tuition for Master programs (and it should be the same for all public programs in Germany).

Hi there! If you want to study something like Psychology, I'd recommend going to Ulm University because they have some really good programs on Social Sciences. I've studied Sociology there myself.

Try to search for a scholarship, it will help you tremendously. I'd suggest you take a look at this website, it's the official German university database http://www.daad.de/deutschland/en/

So other than getting a scholarship and applying directly, you also try the Student Exchange programs, which are quite good.

You should try and get more information at the German Embassy. They will tell you what is required more specifically.

I was asked for:

- Personal documents(the passport, birth certificate...etc).

- The scholarship proof, also they may ask for the phone number of the university you applied to.

- Proof of the travel ticket for Germany, you can try online travel agencies they are more cheaper

- Health Insurance for 6 months, which can easily be payed online. I used is http://www.mawista.com , you apply online for the student insurance and get the confirmation letter because that is needed at the embassy. Their coverage is pretty well too for the price.

This is pretty much all I can think of right now. If you need more help please tell.

All the best

Edited by SandraLong

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I'm also looking at applying to schools in Europe in general (French and English programs)

I'm confused about how to address the POI issue when applying to European schools.... I can't even find faculty profiles for a lot of professors at a lot of schools... and yes, this does seem to be a trend across Europe (with the exception of the UK (who apparently don't really accept non-UK residents)).

Can anyone tell me how to go about this?

Do you follow the same format for Canadian/American schools (search for POI, apply to that POI, mention POI in SOP etc)

Thanks in advance!

Hi all

I'm also looking at applying to schools in Europe in general (French and English programs)

I'm confused about how to address the POI issue when applying to European schools.... I can't even find faculty profiles for a lot of professors at a lot of schools... and yes, this does seem to be a trend across Europe (with the exception of the UK (who apparently don't really accept non-UK residents)).

Can anyone tell me how to go about this?

Do you follow the same format for Canadian/American schools (search for POI, apply to that POI, mention POI in SOP etc)

Thanks in advance!

In Europe a lot of the PhD programs do applications differently. Frequently, you apply for and complete a masters degree before applying for a PhD program (unlike the US model of applying directly for the PhD and picking up the masters along the way). Because in masters programs you usually apply to the department (rather than a lab/POI) this may be part of the issue. But, it is highly dependent on field/country/university.

In Europe a lot of the PhD programs do applications differently. Frequently, you apply for and complete a masters degree before applying for a PhD program (unlike the US model of applying directly for the PhD and picking up the masters along the way). Because in masters programs you usually apply to the department (rather than a lab/POI) this may be part of the issue. But, it is highly dependent on field/country/university.

Ah, yes, ok! Was definitely planning on applying to Masters programs.

So, would you say if I can't easily find lists of faculty/faculty profiles/labs I should just neglect the POI aspect and apply directly to the program?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey a friend of my is doing her masters in goetingen. The school is associated with Max-Plank institute so it should be good. She is having fun there.

I did a year of exchange at Ulm, great experience, but I spent too much time travelling. I dont think Ulm has a psychology program, they have a neurobiology program that looks mainly at insects and animals.

Being from Germany myself, I can only second that. With regard to finances, keep in mind that most German provinces don't have tuition rates. Schools are subsidized by higher tax rates.

I think it would be a good idea to get in touch with a few Universities and Professors there. They might be able to give you the best advice as there might be individual differences.

Lastly, with regard to Psych. Some of the most reputable Unis (that's how Germans call it) are Freie Universitaet Berlin and University of Mannheim.