Do I take trip across country for 30 min meeting with P.O.I.?

redleaf

This is my second time applying for a PhD in Performance Studies. The first time I did not make any contact with any POI, now I have exchanged a few emails with a prof. who suggests the best thing would be for me to come in person if I am in the area. Do I spend the money on the trip? Do I let the prof know that I would be travelling all that way for the meeting. I am inclined to go for as I am not going to apply for a third time -but this is really just visiting the prof during office hours - not a special invite because they are interested in my work (they have yet to see my CV). Any advice, much appreciated

Depends on several factors like how much it will cost and what you can afford. My initial instinct is to say - don't go immediately, instead ask to have a phone conversation. You can learn a lot about how you get along with an advisor by having a one-on-one conversation with them. Granted, it's better to go in person, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hundreds of dollars it might cost. Moreover, if you get accepted into the program or are a finalist, many schools will fly you in on their expense. That would be a better time to visit, if it works out.

I say do it! What have you got to lose... it'll show extra initiative on your part that you'd take such a trip.

Side note: I flew from Toronto to Hong Kong for 48 hours for a 30 minute job interview (on my own dime), and they were, needless to say, impressed.

Hey Thanks for the advice -I have decided to go and am now trying to set up other meetings with other schools to make it worth while. Any hot tips on how to kick butt in 30 minutes -how much do you talk about them -their research? how much you? any dos and don'ts?

• 2 weeks later...

My best job interview was when I already had an offer, and was really relaxed because I wasn't worried about anything.

I also heard a story about someone who fell "slightly short of begging" in the interview. she got in despite being slightly underqualified compared to her peers, but the interviewer "knew she would get in" judging from her interview (I've never really understood this story but it's something to chew on I guess...)

Edited by child of 2

I say do it! What have you got to lose... it'll show extra initiative on your part that you'd take such a trip.

Side note: I flew from Toronto to Hong Kong for 48 hours for a 30 minute job interview (on my own dime), and they were, needless to say, impressed.

so you got the job, right??

SO I am heading out tomorrow, flying across the country to meet with three POI's, have never met any of them, only researched their work -any hot tips on what to say, what not to say? how formal/informal? and how to get them to support you come selection time? Thanks so much :)

but you're applying for grad schools? I'm confused.

Working for 8 months to raise (possibly desperately needed) funds for grad school... then cutting contract short and going straight to California! If all works out...

SO I am heading out tomorrow, flying across the country to meet with three POI's, have never met any of them, only researched their work -any hot tips on what to say, what not to say? how formal/informal? and how to get them to support you come selection time? Thanks so much :)

Glad to hear you're doing it... I don't have any tips but good luck!

I've visited two places, and as far as formal/informal, take your queues from the people you meet with. I've met with both types at one school, and I was as formal as they were with me. I took a list of questions about them, the program, resources, etc., and sometimes I pulled it out and read from it (which seemed to impress the more formal people) and sometimes I just tried to ask all my questions as part of the informal conversation. I would at least prepare a list so you don't get home and kick yourself for forgetting something you really wanted to ask. Other than that, I think you sound prepared! Good luck!