Dean's List in undergraduate studies

missmoneypenny

Hello everyone,

I have a question about being on the Dean's List vs. GPA as the basis for consideration in graduate applications. I'm an Anthropology Honours student in a Quebec university. In order to be on the Dean's List, one must have at least 3.75 (out of 4.30) GPA. My GPA exceeds that significantly but I have been excluded from the Dean's List because I was not registered in at least 12 credits per term for a total of 24 credits for the Fall and Winter terms last year.

In fact, I was registered for 15 credits in the Fall term and 9 credits in Winter and generally, the combined 24 credits should reflect full-time status for the university. However, my faculty is adamant on the point that I must have attempted 12 credits per term. Since this wasn't the case last year and this regulation is not reflected in writing elsewhere, I was understandably annoyed.

My excellence in studies while holding down a full-time job is my personal source of pride, but I'm annoyed that I'm excluded for such a detail - a regulation that is not consistently applied.

Besides my hopefully strong personal statement, recommendation letters, and grades/GPA, how relevant is it not being on the Dean's List?

Also, I will graduate "with great distinction" as opposed to just "with distinction" and this will be noted on my transcript - it's designated to those who achieve at least a 4.0/4.30 final graduation GPA.

Would I even need to explain in my grad application why I'm not on the Dean's List? It's my understanding that this also limits my chances of a scholarship at my university due to the liberal applying of the full-time status rule - in other words, it changes on the person who is applying it.

Many thanks for your thoughts,

MMP

Edited by missmoneypenny

I doubt that it will matter. They will see your transcript and your grades, plus you will have "great distinction" next to your graduating remarks. After all that "Dean's List" is just a flashy star next to your name, it won't hold as real significance as the rigor of your coursework and the grades you received in them.

I would say almost not relevant at all. Shouldn't be an issue, and definitely not worth taking the time to mention why you don't have it.

That said, both my current and past universities would consider you not a full time student for the year with 9 credits in the spring. It would have voided eligibility for scholarships at my undergrad university. Just to give you some perspective.

Agreed. It's a non-issue and I wouldn't bother mentioning or explaining it, especially considering that your credentials (high GPA and graduating with great distinction) are certainly more than enough to answer the question of how good you were in relation to grades.