The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

Sweetpearl16,

II would not expect a response from them until March since applications were only just received on February 1st  I would think that we would hear something in March from them as many schools who had apps due in December and January are just now sending our their acceptances and rejections.

Got a more official (but still not fully official) acceptance from UCLA and a promise of 5 years of funding- without digits, though. Maybe looking like I'll go back to LA for my PhD..

CONGRATS!!!!!

Yale interview went really well, and I've been waitlisted for NYU! Also been told that it's very unlikely that they'll go to the waitlist because they've already made more offers than they can take, but nice to hear something positive back from them, especially since unlike others I didn't get any interviews :)

Does anyone know anything about Rutgers? Some results have been posted but no acceptances so far...any info would be appreciated!

im currently on the waitlist there... they made four offers on feb 12th... hope this helps!

**i applied social/cultural

Edited by anxiousanthro

do you happen to know if Penn has notified (unofficially) everyone who has been accepted this round?

It seems like they have... All official offers went out on Friday and we should receive our hard copies this week. Interviews happened about three weeks ago.

It seems like they have... All official offers went out on Friday and we should receive our hard copies this week. Interviews happened about three weeks ago.

Thanks for letting me know. I knew about the interviews; but, I was keeping myself upbeat, as Penn was one of my favorite programs. Did they tell you expressly that they sent out all offers on Friday? I know it's obviously a fair assumption that they did, but I'm grasping.

Has anyone heard from Chicago? Does Chicago necessarily conduct interviews? I haven't been interviewed so I'm guessing I'm out.

Chicago interviewed thirty and is making another cut from that group, then doing campus visits.  They are supposed to notify as of today (!!).  

I'm a newbie around here, and I'm having very discouraging time with applications this round. I was wondering if any of you who have received acceptances in socio-cultural anthropology would be willing to discuss your credentials a bit further? I desperately want to come to terms with my rejections and being passed over for interviews, and I think it would be really helpful for me to hear from you all.

A bit about me: I graduated summa cum laude from a highly-ranked liberal arts college, where I majored in anthropology. I have a regional focus, which I have been exploring since I was a freshman, and years of language training. I have also worked for a number of esteemed professors at several colleges and universities. My GRE scores were not great, but I scored in the 91st percentile in english and was hoping that would suffice. I have recommendations from professors I consider dear friends as well as mentors, and I received positive feedback from both programs I was rejected from (in addition to a third, where I also presume I'm out of the running).

So far I have been rejected from two programs. I have not been chosen for interviews at another five schools. What gives?!?!

Chicago interviewed thirty and is making another cut from that group, then doing campus visits. They are supposed to notify as of today (!!).

Hi, where did you get the information? I was interviewed by them too, but my POI didn't mention the specific schedule. Just a bit curious. This is nerve-breaking...

Edited by parsley

I'm a newbie around here, and I'm having very discouraging time with applications this round. I was wondering if any of you who have received acceptances in socio-cultural anthropology would be willing to discuss your credentials a bit further? I desperately want to come to terms with my rejections and being passed over for interviews, and I think it would be really helpful for me to hear from you all.

A bit about me: I graduated summa cum laude from a highly-ranked liberal arts college, where I majored in anthropology. I have a regional focus, which I have been exploring since I was a freshman, and years of language training. I have also worked for a number of esteemed professors at several colleges and universities. My GRE scores were not great, but I scored in the 91st percentile in english and was hoping that would suffice. I have recommendations from professors I consider dear friends as well as mentors, and I received positive feedback from both programs I was rejected from (in addition to a third, where I also presume I'm out of the running).

So far I have been rejected from two programs. I have not been chosen for interviews at another five schools. What gives?!?!

I PM'd you.

I am waiting it out like you, so my comment may not be the best.  

You sound good on paper, but most of us do as well.  It might come down to fit.  What are your interests and do these institution match up?  Were you able to highlight your fit well in your SoP?  Did you apply only to the tippy-top programs?  I have seen many very well placed, highly credentialed applicants on this board.  There is some great competition out there for very few spots.  Maybe you are just getting the bad luck of the draw.

Just my two cents on it.