The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

No, I contacted the person the UCI website directed me to contact: John Sommerhauser. As I said: incredibly nice and incredibly prompt response! I think he's a social sciences graduate school person, not an anthro-specific person. 

For me, today has been a day of news, so it seems.

I just got a SUPER unofficial yes from Irvine (a missed called/voicemail). No details whatsoever, but "good news".

I also got a SUPER unofficial yes from San Diego, from my POI. 

I also got an unofficial no from Minnesota. Not really surprised at this one, as there's only one person I wanted to work with. Would have liked to have options/leverage though. Oh well. 

Just a note, I'm calling these all unofficial, as they are from POIs, not admissions-like emails or anything. I'm not sure if this is customary, for these to be unofficial or not? Just wanted to clarify. 

Hope everyone is hanging in there! This is my first bit of news, and honestly, it all makes me feel better just to hear SOMETHING, even if it's bad news. Nothing worse than being in a holding period with not news. 

^ Did you guys above at the UCs interview? I am dying to hear back from Davis but so far nothing... I haven't interviewed either so at this point I feel like it is going to be bad news. However, if there was no interview for some other programs I may have a small glimmer of hope...

^ Did you guys above at the UCs interview? I am dying to hear back from Davis but so far nothing... I haven't interviewed either so at this point I feel like it is going to be bad news. However, if there was no interview for some other programs I may have a small glimmer of hope...

i didn't interview at either UCSD or UCI. I know my friend last year interviewed (via phone) for UCSC around this time. I did, however, visit San Diego in November, which I guess counts for something? I wonder when people say they have interviews if they haven't met their departments yet? I met most of my POIs already either on campus visits or at the AAAs in November and already had the kind of chats that that seems to make up interview questions. Just a thought in case others followed a similar path as me.

Hey Panda, what concentration did you apply to at UCSD?

Cultural anthro. Bear in mind, according to my POI, decisions haven't gone out officially or anything. I don't know if other faculty are contacting their candidates or not as well. 

ok lol sorry I'm just super anxious to hear back from UCSD, I was interviewed and I know they only take a select amount per concentration. Did your status change on the website by any chance? 

what's the website? i keep hearing on this forum about checking one's status on admissions websites but i'm unclear what website to look at! can you PM me the link?

The graduate committee at UCD met yesterday to decide funding for all accepted applicants, but nothing official has come out yet (you should get an email soon though). I don't think they interview (I got accepted 3 weeks back without ever interviewing, phone, skype, or otherwise. No contact at all, actually). What program are you applying to?

I have a similar question though -- the other anthro programs I applied to (Duke, Harvard, and NYU) never invited me to interview, so given the low number of applicants people around here are saying they'll accept and the fact that I'm pretty unspectacular compared to so many, is it a pretty safe assumption (p>0.95 ;D) that I'm not getting in?

Edited by derberggeist

Thanks panda & derberggeist! I didn't apply to anthro, I applied to the animal behavior graduate group (but some faculty are cross-listed as anthro) and it seems nobody in the gradcafe universe applied to this program so I am really in the dark on what to expect. 

As for your question derberggeist, the professor I spoke with at NYU said the "short-short" list people would be invited to campus (though someone mentioned above international applicants are still being considered without coming to campus) so I am thinking that for the rest of us, to be honest, bad signs are significant (p<0.05)  :( (I am in this boat too). But you never know. 

first time posting, here.

A question for those of you who have had offers: did you send thank you notes to POI or others or respond in anyway? I've only had one acceptance (cultural anth) and am waiting still on the majority of schools (several interviews - no rejections...yet). I just don't know what the best response (or whether to respond at all) is, especially if I'm waiting to see what other options I might have and am still in the decision-making process. I did send a quick note back to the AD who sent the acceptance out. Thoughts?

first time posting, here.

A question for those of you who have had offers: did you send thank you notes to POI or others or respond in anyway? I've only had one acceptance (cultural anth) and am waiting still on the majority of schools (several interviews - no rejections...yet). I just don't know what the best response (or whether to respond at all) is, especially if I'm waiting to see what other options I might have and am still in the decision-making process. I did send a quick note back to the AD who sent the acceptance out. Thoughts?

i contacted my POI (who also happened to be the grad affairs coordinator) within a couple days of my first acceptance. given that they had a quick turnaround, they mentioned that they didn't expect a committed answer until april, but pointed me in the right direction for info that i could get in the meantime, e.g., a current student to contact, and financial aid info.

also, don't know if anyone applied to WMU (i didn't), but a friend of mine was accepted there today for anthro/archaeo at the MA level.

The graduate committee at UCD met yesterday to decide funding for all accepted applicants, but nothing official has come out yet (you should get an email soon though). I don't think they interview (I got accepted 3 weeks back without ever interviewing, phone, skype, or otherwise. No contact at all, actually). What program are you applying to?

I have a similar question though -- the other anthro programs I applied to (Duke, Harvard, and NYU) never invited me to interview, so given the low number of applicants people around here are saying they'll accept and the fact that I'm pretty unspectacular compared to so many, is it a pretty safe assumption (p>0.95 ;D) that I'm not getting in?

Both NYU and Duke have already had their interview/recruitment days for finalists on the shortlist; sorry for the bad news! Like mp429 said, NYU decisions should be out soon. Not sure about Harvard (I'm assuming HEB) though.

Not sure about Harvard (I'm assuming HEB) though.

Although, a rejection popped up on the results search today... I was actually surprised since previous years all rejections have come considerably later, and by mail. Do you think this means acceptances will come soon????

Hi everyone,

I wrote to Harvard yesterday and they clearly said they are still reviewing applications and that they would start sending out notifications in the mail (not email) only after March 1.

Anyone here applied to the Anthro/FES program at Yale?

I havent heard from Yale/UChicago (Anthro)/JHU (Anthro)/ Harvard (Anthro). I don't know what to think.

I am a fellow at Yale, so feeling a bit sheepish.

Hi everyone,

I wrote to Harvard yesterday and they clearly said they are still reviewing applications and that they would start sending out notifications in the mail (not email) only after March 1.

Anyone here applied to the Anthro/FES program at Yale?

I havent heard from Yale/UChicago (Anthro)/JHU (Anthro)/ Harvard (Anthro). I don't know what to think.

I am a fellow at Yale, so feeling a bit sheepish.

Hey

I applied to Yale Anthro/Fes as well and I know that socio-cultural anthropology invited people for interviews already and started them. I guess if there was no invitation then we can assume rejection.

I as well am curious about that NYU acceptance that popped up. Perhaps it was super unofficial (i put my UCSD acceptance up when mine was super unofficial and probably the only one notified already). I was told they were meeting this week (so assumed notification by fri or by next week? just guessing).

Related: kro7 mentioned above that people were invited to NYU this week. I'm wondering how you know this? 

Edited by panda_bear

I received an official acceptance to NYU (email from prof). I am cultural -- with certificate in culture and media. They are taking 8 ppl. but I dont know if they finished making decision or are done notifying.

thanks coffeeandmilk for the update. And BIG congrats to you!!!!!!!  :)

I as well am curious about that NYU acceptance that popped up. Perhaps it was super unofficial (i put my UCSD acceptance up when mine was super unofficial and probably the only one notified already). I was told they were meeting this week (so assumed notification by fri or by next week? just guessing).

Related: kro7 mentioned above that people were invited to NYU this week. I'm wondering how you know this? 

I am also getting anxious because it seems Presidents day means a holiday for some schools - NYU included i think!? I hope we get to hear something tmrw !!! :unsure: