The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

That is what is going on with William & Mary too, for anyone who may have applied there. The sent out their first three offers about two weeks ago. They have a waitlist, but have not informed those who are on it of their position. Rejections have not been sent out either.

Hooray! Do you think you're going?

Don't know yet to be brutally honest, I have a couple of other offers and I'm still waiting to hear back from 3 or 4 other places. It has the best funding package of all the places I applied to, good resources, proximity to NYC, only one year teaching fellowship as far as I can tell... BUT the fit with my proposed research isn't as good as with Cornell (which is further out, less funding...). A little torn... but I'm visiting the campuses in a few weeks so hopefully that'll help me make a decision, after all the biggest factor in whether I enjoy grad school and what I get out of it is how well I get along with the faculty and other students, and that's something I can't really tell unless I go there.

Just got accepted by York (socio cultural)! So stoked because I couldn't dream of being able to put together a better collection of supervisory committee members in all of North America for my research!! XD

I was accepted via email and they said that the formal letter of offer and details of "a generous financial package" will arrive in the mail within two weeks!

Edit: PhD program

Edited by nicolemc

Received a rejection email from U of Washington a couple days ago, has anyone heard from Northwestern, UGA or Washington University in St. Louis? I'm applying for Sociocultural. I'm assuming that since I haven't heard back from Yale or Stanford, those are probably no's as well.

Edited by Rapang

Received a rejection email from U of Washington a couple days ago, has anyone heard from Northwestern, UGA or Washington University in St. Louis? I'm applying for Sociocultural. I'm assuming that since I haven't heard back from Yale or Stanford, those are probably no's as well.

Sorry about the rejection, but it sounds like you've still got apps in the mix!  I contacted Northwestern to ask about their timeframe and was told that we should hear back from them in the first week in March (so I think next week!).  I hope this is helpful to know.

That is what is going on with William & Mary too, for anyone who may have applied there. The sent out their first three offers about two weeks ago. They have a waitlist, but have not informed those who are on it of their position. Rejections have not been sent out either.

Same here!! I got a call from them saying my transcript never arrived and I had to get a new one to them by Feb. 6 when the ad com was going to meet. That was over 3 weeks ago. I'm going to call next week and see what's going on.

Got an email from University of Kansas this morning.  Accepted to the Masters program with archaeology concentration.  Won't know about funding until mid-March.

Congrats! Hope you get a great funding offer.

Also, I'd just like to thank everyone on this board for being so wonderful and supportive. You guys are awesome.

congrats powertorest! and right back atcha, radiomars. anthropology and all its subfields seem to have a somewhat different app process compared to the more "common" fields around here, so it's nice to have a group of awesome, supportive people who totally get it. :)

Finally heard from Ned at Berkeley, it was a no but I'm not shocked. I also emailed my undergraduate advisor and he told me I didn't get into there either, which is more of a blow since I'm actually on campus now visiting my brother so I was really hoping I'd be back in the fall. My last unknown that I'm still interested in is Yale which is almost certainly a no, but that's fine since I do have Michigan and I'm very excited about it!

Thanks radiomars and pears! I second all the support and general awesomeness of this board.  I'm still unsure if grad cafe has made the whole process easier or if it’s been pushing me ever so closer to insanity....ah who cares anymore. Good luck everyone and congrats on all the acceptances.

Hello everyone and congrats to those of you who have heard good news! I wanted to ask a question in regards to Yale. For those of us who haven't heard news from POI's, would it be safe to assume we still may have a chance? I know some POI's will e-mail and some will not. As far as I can tell nothing official has gone out yet so maybe hope remains for those of us who haven't heard anything. I would appreciate any input. Thanks! 

Hello everyone and congrats to those of you who have heard good news! I wanted to ask a question in regards to Yale. For those of us who haven't heard news from POI's, would it be safe to assume we still may have a chance? I know some POI's will e-mail and some will not. As far as I can tell nothing official has gone out yet so maybe hope remains for those of us who haven't heard anything. I would appreciate any input. Thanks! 

According to the results search, in previous years, some candidates found out through emails prompting them to check the website. I'd think it's definitely still possible that you're in contention and you haven't been pre-informed by your POI.

Thanks Radiomars! Indeed, contact from POI seems like a personal choice the professor makes. I suppose other faculty are more into making you wait it out, or perhaps just don't think to much about it. I hope I'm still  in contention as long as official notices haven't come out yet. I wish all POI's would give a friendly heads up before hand, either way. 

Coffeeandmilk- As far as Harvard goes, I'm not too sure. It seems Harvard is one of the schools that has the most uncertainty when it comes to data on this board. I know one poster wrote that all archaeology decisions had been made a month ago, which I found strange because Harvard started back from winter break on Jan.28th. I'm pretty sure you will find out in post within the week. I don't think they send an e-mail notification unless its from a POI. 

Rapang good luck with your other applications!

who is your POI at Washu? I went there for undergrad and I'm just curious. 

Thanks @Dexterchi, Brett Gustafson is my POI

I've been lurking as a non-member for a while, but figured I might as well start posting.  The anxiety from waiting is insane.  I've been rejected from 3 schools. Super competitive, so I wasn't too surprised.  I noticed several Chicago rejections on the board, but I haven't heard anything from them (good or bad). I am not sure how to take that. Thoughts?

Also, has anyone heard from Boston Univ or Teachers College? I saw some BU interviews on the board, but it seems that TC decisions don't go out until the end of March.