The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

Ok, so I talked with the GSAS and Anthro department today at Yale. GSAS told me that as soon as decisions are made on individual applications then they send an e-mail, which seems strange because no one has posted official acceptances or rejections as of yet. The department told me they are still reviewing and making final decisions but we should hear by the end of the week if not sooner. Hope this helps! 

I'm a bit confused about the Stanford rejections posts. Were the notifications sent in a group e-mail? And if so, at what time? Also, for those of you who contacted Ned at Berkeley for your results, has your status changed on the gradadmit website? Thanks in advance.

I'm a bit confused about the Stanford rejections posts. Were the notifications sent in a group e-mail? And if so, at what time? Also, for those of you who contacted Ned at Berkeley for your results, has your status changed on the gradadmit website? Thanks in advance.

On Berkeley: No. My status still shows as "submitted' on the gradadmit website despite the fact that Ned told me my admissions decision.  

I'm with you on Stanford... I'd like my rejection please. haha

Ok, so I talked with the GSAS and Anthro department today at Yale. GSAS told me that as soon as decisions are made on individual applications then they send an e-mail, which seems strange because no one has posted official acceptances or rejections as of yet. The department told me they are still reviewing and making final decisions but we should hear by the end of the week if not sooner. Hope this helps! 

Really? This is actually not what I want to hear! I have already accepted my Yale rejection is imminent and moved on to getting psyched for where I DID get in.  Now I have to deal with the fact that it's not over yet? We just can't win, you guys!

@mochicologa: I couldn't agree with you more! We shall wait and see and hopefully will know by this week. I think those of us that haven't heard from Yale may still be in the game as NOTHING has gone out yet in terms of acceptances or rejections. The fact that the two people that did hear of their acceptances from POI's have not received "official" word yet is a good indicator that the department may still have been haggling as we were sweating it out :/

On Berkeley: No. My status still shows as "submitted' on the gradadmit website despite the fact that Ned told me my admissions decision.  

I'm with you on Stanford... I'd like my rejection please. haha

I got my formal rejection from Stanford only after I sent them an email asking about the status of my application

i just realised Spring break has either begun for a lot of colleges and/or will begin Friday. Here is to hoping the uncertainty ends by then! Good luck to everyone!

Sorry to rehash a conversation already begun a few times, but is anyone else still hanging out in U.Chicago purgatory?  I emailed the division and got their standard "all applications are under review" email. 

Apologies for my bringing this up again - this is literally the last school I'm waiting to hear from, so it'd be nice to know what was going on with my app...

I haven't heard anything from Chicago either. Since I don't have any other offers I'm hoping they will offer me a spot in the MAPSS program. It's kind of my main hope at this point :\

I am definitely still hanging out in U Chicago purgatory.

hey all- I'm on the wait list and its my understanding that offers/waitlists have been made, but this of course does not mean anything in terms of MAPSS necessarily.  hope this is somewhat helpful.

hey all- I'm on the wait list and its my understanding that offers/waitlists have been made, but this of course does not mean anything in terms of MAPSS necessarily.  hope this is somewhat helpful.

But if offers and wait list notifications have been made and some people have gotten rejections, why are some of us still getting the silent treatment?

But if offers and wait list notifications have been made and some people have gotten rejections, why are some of us still getting the silent treatment?

maybe people who posted rejections inquired about their status?  i received a LOT of rejections last year, and it was my experience that once programs decide to accept people, they aggressively pursue them and that is where their attention lies.  at that point, rejected applications are just bureaucracy that has to be dealt with, so they aren't a priority.  so all of my rejections were received several weeks after admitted applicants had already heard back (based on grad cafe posts).  or you could be recommended for MAPPS or something? 

perhaps more senior members could give you actual insight on this though...

Edited by anxiousanthro

I e-mailed Chicago last night and got an official response this morning. Not admitted to the PhD but offered a spot in MAPSS with 50% tuition remission. It's still a lot of money but I'm going to give it serious thought.

Also, what is considered the proper etiquette on contacting a department about results?

Hey there!  You may have seen something I posted... I wrote them a little over a week ago and they told me that they were finalizing things by the end of the "1st week in march", which presumably is by this friday.  

im sure there are different styles, but i just phrased it by saying that i remain very interest in their program but i have other offers i am considering and asked if they could give any insight into their timeline.  i think as long as you haven't sent them 1000 emails asking about the status of your app that they don't mind you asking!  good luck! :)

I haven't heard anything from NW either, and I have been wording it like so,
"Dear XXX,

I have applied to XXX and cannot seem to find a date referring to expected admissions dates. When should I expect some notification regarding my application"

Hey there!  You may have seen something I posted... I wrote them a little over a week ago and they told me that they were finalizing things by the end of the "1st week in march", which presumably is by this friday.  

im sure there are different styles, but i just phrased it by saying that i remain very interest in their program but i have other offers i am considering and asked if they could give any insight into their timeline.  i think as long as you haven't sent them 1000 emails asking about the status of your app that they don't mind you asking!  good luck! :)

I haven't heard anything from NW either, and I have been wording it like so,

"Dear XXX,

I have applied to XXX and cannot seem to find a date referring to expected admissions dates. When should I expect some notification regarding my application"

Thank you both!  I'll keep you posted on what, if anything, I hear back!

Best of luck to you!