The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

Hey Mesoholic! 

Congratulations on being waitlisted at Yale! Its a foot in! Did they tell you where you are on the list and/or how long it is?

I am sure not everyone who was offered a place will take it, considering lots of people make it to more than one place.

Also, have formal acceptance emails gone out from Yale?

Any word from Harvard?

Hi Ramya- thank you! No, they did not tell me a thing about where I was on the wait list. It was the official e-mail though. The letter basically said I would know after April 15th…. so here's to more waiting :/

As for Harvard, I still haven't heard anything yet. I'm on the west coast so I may hear a couple days after you do. 

I received an email from Yale telling me to check the application website about an hour ago.

Also, mesoholic, re: the waitlist, at my visit @ Yale, they told me they don't put more than one or two people on the waitlist (at least bio.anthro doesn't.. last year they only had one person on the waitlist who ended up getting in), so that's not too bad of a position to be in. 

Edited by radiomars

Thanks Radiomars, congratulations! That must be a relief to finally get official confirmation!

I really hope Yale is a little kind for a change and tells us rejects also today. I cant wait to get the bad news and be done with this. :) 

Hello everyone, and congrats to those who have been accepted places! :) I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd finally poke my head in with a question. I've just received an offer from UCSD, which I am very excited about. However, the email was from the Dean of Graduate Studies at UCSD, not anyone in the anthro department, and didn't mention anything about funding.  I was wondering if anyone else who has been accepted heard anything about funding. Does that come separately? Or does the fact that it isn't mentioned in the admissions offer suggest there might not be any? I really like UCSD, but unfortunately don't have the resources to be able to consider it without any funding.

I'm pretty sure that UCSD funds their students through TA positions. However, they are not necessarily in the anthro department. I know several first-year PhD students in the department (I work for UCSD) and they TA for the undergraduate "core courses" -- multi-quarter interdisciplinary courses that combine social science and humanities studies (example: Making of the Modern World -- http://roosevelt.ucsd.edu/academics/gen-ed/mmw.html).

I don't know for sure that this will apply to the incoming cohort but I think it's likely.

I got official notification from BU that my application (due Jan 1) was incomplete and not considered.  Since I submitted my application Dec. 26th and got completion confirmation, I'm pretty annoyed.  I've emailed them and I definitely want my application fee returned, since apparently my application wasn't even considered.

I haven't seen any postings for the Anthro MA at Austin, just the PhD.  Did anyone else apply to Austin's anthro program with just a BA?  Any word on when they are going to finish notifying?

I've been waiting on UT as well; applied for MA in Social. Feeling concerned; it's one of my top schools. I spoke to a friend doing his PhD there and found out the committee made a few initial offers but are trying to get more funding before making any more. Of course this is all unofficial. My understanding though is if you haven't heard anything yet, you're in the second consideration pool. I don't know when they will let us know something, it's driving me crazy! I've been considering emailing the department. If you hear anything more official, please let me know!

I've been waiting on UT as well; applied for MA in Social. Feeling concerned; it's one of my top schools. I spoke to a friend doing his PhD there and found out the committee made a few initial offers but are trying to get more funding before making any more. Of course this is all unofficial. My understanding though is if you haven't heard anything yet, you're in the second consideration pool. I don't know when they will let us know something, it's driving me crazy! I've been considering emailing the department. If you hear anything more official, please let me know!

My thesis adviser and I have spoken quite a bit about their admission process (I'm finishing my undergrad at UT Austin right now) and she said the same thing.  They have made offers to their first round of applicants.

I got official notification from BU that my application (due Jan 1) was incomplete and not considered.  Since I submitted my application Dec. 26th and got completion confirmation, I'm pretty annoyed.  I've emailed them and I definitely want my application fee returned, since apparently my application wasn't even considered.

That is strange. I would definitely fight for my fee back too.  I haven't heard anything from BU, and now I am paranoid about my app.

I also was emailed by Chicago yesterday. Rejected from the phd, but accepted in MAPSS with 1/3 tuition funding. It's not awful, but the tuition is extremely expensive.

Received a rejection from Northwestern today by email.

Me too, though it was expected.  I'm just glad they emailed instead of leaving it up to checking the online portal incessantly. 

Exactly! Where is my rejection! Sigh. 

Has anyone got word from Harvard? I saw a waitlist and an acceptance post last weekend. 

It's ok, Ramya. Keep your head up :) There's still a decision from Harvard lurking out there. 

Does anyone have any advice as far as being wait listed? Is there a proper etiquette in communicating with anybody at this point? Should I communicate with anybody at all? I've never been in this situation so any thoughts you guys may have would be much appreciated! Thanks! 

It's ok, Ramya. Keep your head up :) There's still a decision from Harvard lurking out there. 

Does anyone have any advice as far as being wait listed? Is there a proper etiquette in communicating with anybody at this point? Should I communicate with anybody at all? I've never been in this situation so any thoughts you guys may have would be much appreciated! Thanks! 

I think wait list spots tend to open up in late March/early April once applicants have heard back from all their schools. It doesn't hurt to keep in touch with the school where you are waitlisted and let them know you are still interested but just know that they are probably still waiting on responses from their admissions offers.

Ok. Today I feel awful, so I'll just share it to you to find some pain relief.

I applied only to four schools (NYU, CUNY, Columbia and NSSR... yes, obsessed with NYC). CUNY rejected me early on Feb 6. A "nice email", as many say. And all my optimism crumbled, since it was my best fit. My entire summa cum laude MA thesis was based on the work of some CUNY's faculty members. Had excellent LoR's (one of them from my thesis advisor who is close to some faculty members), a 3.9 GPA in my MA, a profesionally proofread writing sample about my thesis (I'm an international applicant from a non English speaking country), an almost perfect TOEFL (115), and an average GRE (though an awesome 165 in quantitive). I'm starting to think that my SOP sucked.

A month later, I haven't heard anything about Columbia or NYU (yeah, no interviews, no "POIs"). And I'm learning to accept that this means rejection. Some said to me "hey, cheer up, no news are good news", "it ain't over 'till the fat lady sings", but I've seen the patterns in the results forum and actually in this case seems that "no news are rejection news". But, yeah, lets wait. I hope that my applications' fee at least buy me a rejection email.  

So, NSSR is now my last hope. And it kills me to think that I didn't submitted a strong application there, but I guess maybe it's just my current pesimism. 

My life-partner was admitted today to a program in NYC. So I'm feeling a terrible pressure.

:-(

I feel you Jicito, so far I have received rejections from Northwestern, Stanford, UWashington and Yale. I emailed Georgia and they said if I haven't received anything by now, it means I am on the waitlist, but I have no idea how long the waitlist is or where I am on it, or if my rejection letter is just slow in the mail.. It's a terrible feeling to open your email in the middle of the day and see a rejection email, as it brings down your whole day.