Should I contact the university?

alison21

Hi all,

I was notified by the department that the master's program I was applying for were reviewing appications last week, but so far I haven't heard anything. Should I e-mail them about this? They said last week they would keep in touch shortly. Any opinions are most welcome, thanks in advance! . .I am starting to get worried. . :(

i see no harm whatsoever in sending a short and simple email:

"I was wondering if you could tell me if there has been any update on the status of my application?"

Do you honestly think that the grad secretary is going to run over to the DGS's office and say "Mrs. X had the nerve to inquire about her application" and then the DGS will stick your app in the paper shredder while they both laugh maniacally?

On the flip side, just don't email them multiple times a day, everyday for weeks.

I think reviewing can sometimes take more than a week...

I was notified that one of my schools was "reviewing" the first week of February, but I didn't get my acceptance notice until the very last day of the month.

But a short, simple email can't hurt you - especially if it helps you quell a little anxiety!

Do you honestly think that the grad secretary is going to run over to the DGS's office and say "Mrs. X had the nerve to inquire about her application" and then the DGS will stick your app in the paper shredder while they both laugh maniacally?
*raises hand timidly* Yeah, this is exactly what I'm afraid of...

Yes, either that or swap my GRE scores with the worst set in the pile.

I am still waiting on pins and needles for most of my decisions (not a peep from 3 out of the 5 schools) and I am considering sending a "checking the status of my application" email. Do you all suggest just emailing the administrative assistant in the department or should I go straight to the head of graduate studies in each department with the email?

I definitely want to make sure I get some information and I just don't know the odds of the admin. assist. having access to the info. However, I certainly don't want to jump the gun with the head of grad. studies.

Please let me know what you all have done or what you think may be best! :)

I emailed the graduate secretary of the program I applied to and she told me basic information (that admission letters were sent out, but that I was not rejected). She told me to contact the department head if I had any further questions, which I did, and she told me I was waitlisted.

Honestly, I wondered the same thing--should I contact or should I not (imagining a similar scenario that if I contact, the DGS will automatically shred and pitch my application into file 13). However, I have since decided that if a reasonable amount of time has passed since applicants have been notified both "yea" and "nay," then it is equally reasonable to email/call and request a status update. Frankly, if the DGS chooses to discount my application as a consequence of my email/call instead of fairly assessing my qualifications in a comprehensive fashion, then I'm certain I don't want to be associated with that department anyway.

Hi all,

I was notified by the department that the master's program I was applying for were reviewing appications last week, but so far I haven't heard anything. Should I e-mail them about this? They said last week they would keep in touch shortly. Any opinions are most welcome, thanks in advance! . .I am starting to get worried. . :(

I myself have been in contact many times over the past few weeks. They just politely say, "We don't know yet" or "Another few days"...

If it brings you a little peace of mind, CALL. This is YOUR future we're talking about here, they're not going to get upset that you're proactive about figuring it out.

I received an email from a faculty member on February 3rd, which was an unofficial confirmation that my application was complete and currently under review, and that I should hear a decision "in the next few weeks" That was almost 5 weeks ago... I think at 5 it stops being "few" and starts being "several"

I keep telling myself to be patient, because the website says that those who applied by January 4th (which I did) should hear a decision "sometime in March" and we are just starting the second week. What are your thoughts? Contact or no???

Who do I contact if there is no admin assistant or Graduate Coordinator listed? There is a standard program@university.edu address listed on the website... or should I email that faculty member that contacted me before?

I received an email from a faculty member on February 3rd, which was an unofficial confirmation that my application was complete and currently under review, and that I should hear a decision "in the next few weeks" That was almost 5 weeks ago... I think at 5 it stops being "few" and starts being "several"

I keep telling myself to be patient, because the website says that those who applied by January 4th (which I did) should hear a decision "sometime in March" and we are just starting the second week. What are your thoughts? Contact or no???

Who do I contact if there is no admin assistant or Graduate Coordinator listed? There is a standard program@university.edu address listed on the website... or should I email that faculty member that contacted me before?

If its killing you, contact the grad admissions dept for the overall university(I'm doing all of mine via phone, but if you want to do email that works too). "And directly you'll be directed in the right direction..." (Wasn't that Alice in Wonderland?) ie; they'll tell you who to talk to or give you a number for the person to contact. Then you call them and politely inquire about the status of your application. It should clear a few things up (or at least give you as much current info as you can get). Good luck!

I wished I have contacted them earlier. I called them today and the lady had me on hold for a min or two then she told me my app was complete and has been sent to the adcom for review. I was wondering in mind if she JUST find my app under a file of documents. but yea i think it's about time to call and find out cuz i think most of the open house is around these few weeks