2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Thanks for the heads up dlouble. Anyone else think that this Friday might be a big one? Pre-MLK Jr. wave to allow for adcomm relaxation? Just trying to rationalize the crazy levels of anticipation and super quiet weekends :P

UNC Chapel Hill BBSP said they are still reviewing apps and will be until the end of the month, just FYI for any apprehensive UNC applicants.

Oh, good!

Thanks dlouble, I put UNC as rejected in my head... Though I still don't think I will receive an interview.

I am doubtful that I will get one either (apparently they got ~1400 apps), but we will just have to wait and see!

I just heard back from Rice SSPB too. Another interview request. I'll see you at this one too Banksy( I'm also going to UT austin) PS how do you change the applied to, interview, etc. on the bottom of the screen?

So far:

Applied to but haven't heard back: Boston U BioE UC berkeley BioE University of Washington BPSD Northwestern IBiS(assuming a rejection is coming, but I am not as excited about this one now) MIT microbiology

Interview requests: UT Austin CMB, Rice SSPB.

Edited by SynBio1

I just heard back from Rice SSPB too. Another interview request. I'll see you at this one too Banksy( I'm also going to UT austin) PS how do you change the applied to, interview, etc. on the bottom of the screen?

So far:

Applied to but haven't heard back: Boston U BioE UC berkeley BioE University of Washington BPSD Northwestern IBiS(assuming a rejection is coming, but I am not as excited about this one now) MIT microbiology

Interview requests: UT Austin CMB, Rice SSPB.

Go to settings and click on signature

GSK rejection. No surprise obviously since interviews start tomorrow. My first rejection of the season doesn't sting as much as I thought it would. I knew it was coming, but mostly because I found annoying the fact that the day after they sent interview invites, they sent letters to the LORs of the non-invited that they were starting to review applications. They come to me with false hope before Christmas, and I have to tell them that invites had gone out and the emails weren't as happy as they thought. They may have had a good reason for doing that. I'd love to know it.

Has anyone heard from University of Washington, Stanford, Duke, Harvard, or the joint UCB/UCSF bioengineering programs, whether that be rejection, interviews, or acceptances? Not a peep for me.

Has anyone heard from University of Washington, Stanford, Duke, Harvard, or the joint UCB/UCSF bioengineering programs, whether that be rejection, interviews, or acceptances? Not a peep for me.

I know two friends who have heard from professors at duke, for pre-interview screening. And I'm pretty sure ucb/ucsf and uw haven't started sending anything yet. Don't know about Stanford or Harvard though.

I know two friends who have heard from professors at duke, for pre-interview screening. And I'm pretty sure ucb/ucsf and uw haven't started sending anything yet. Don't know about Stanford or Harvard though.

What do you mean pre-interview screening? I emailed a professor at Duke myself, and he said he'd email me back after reviewing my application if he had any questions.

I've had a couple of phone calls from Duke professors as well.  One of them wanted to talk to me specifically about his research and if I would be interested in it, and the other was a more general call about my interests (that call was Jan 9th, and the prof told me that the admissions committee would be getting together soon to send out invites).

Based on the admission results from last year, Berkeley may come out late this week, but the other ones will likely be the last week in January or even early February.  I definitely wish they would tell us sooner, I'm pretty anxious to hear back!

I've had a couple of phone calls from Duke professors as well.  One of them wanted to talk to me specifically about his research and if I would be interested in it, and the other was a more general call about my interests (that call was Jan 9th, and the prof told me that the admissions committee would be getting together soon to send out invites).

Based on the admission results from last year, Berkeley may come out late this week, but the other ones will likely be the last week in January or even early February.  I definitely wish they would tell us sooner, I'm pretty anxious to hear back!

Out of curiosity, did you outline your research interests much in your SOP?

I just called The Scripps Research Institute (CA). She said that they are still evaluating and sending invites (up to the end of Feb). She said that they aim for an even split between biology and chemistry students (its one large program) and that they try to cluster the biology ones into one of the two weekends, but that that is flexible as well. Its a relief that I'm not competing with chemistry students......