2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Has anybody heard from Caltech or Rockefeller yet? It seems like we should hear something soon based on previous years' results. Also, I'm still waiting on my rejections from Princeton, UChicago, and Harvard. (I know that I was told that adcoms are still looking at apps for Princeton and UChicago, but I have a feeling that just means I'm sitting in a reject pile.) Is there a particular reason why some of these schools take their sweet time sending out rejections? Is it so they can replace people who can't make it to interviews if need be? I suspect that's what happened with me at Columbia, though I can't be sure, obviously.

Exactly the same rejection-pile feeling! I prefer the death star of WashU & co. than this silence.  :ph34r:

Hey,

So I have a quick question. One of my schools is close by (3 hour drive) from me, and invited me for an interview. They asked that I drive there, but last week, my car started having transmission issues and other than driving around town, it's not fit to drive longer distances (especially on the highway going 70 MPH). I asked if I were to take a rental car down, if they would reimburse me for the fee. Is that bad practice to ask them to do such a thing?

Thanks, glad u like it!  :lol: I changed it because of what the person said, but I haven't heard from UWash.  -_- Did you?
No I still haven't heard anything. It's killing me, UW is my first choice, and probably my last hope after the rejections I've received.

Hey,

So I have a quick question. One of my schools is close by (3 hour drive) from me, and invited me for an interview. They asked that I drive there, but last week, my car started having transmission issues and other than driving around town, it's not fit to drive longer distances (especially on the highway going 70 MPH). I asked if I were to take a rental car down, if they would reimburse me for the fee. Is that bad practice to ask them to do such a thing?

If they were planning on reimbursing you for mileage already, I can't imagine it would be a problem. The visit I am driving for specifically mentioned that they would do either.

I e-mailed my top choice professors at each school, but am beginning to think I should have picked my top two or so. Was that a screw-up? Even though I mention no fewer than three professors per school in my SOPs, will it be frowned on that I only emailed one?

I only applied to two computational biology programs, Duke and CMU/Pitt. It was my own stupid fault for not writing my SOP earlier. I just wish they would reject me, since they have both already sent invites. This way I at least I can wholeheartedly cogitate my failure in life. 

I think I'm the only one who posted a CMU/Pitt invitation, and it's a big program. I'm guessing they're not done sending out invites. 

I just got one for bioinformatics too; if you want I can email right now and ask if that's it/

Thanks for the offer! I emailed and asked but haven't heard anything back. I'll post if/when I do.

Me too. Also doing compu stuff...

hey, when did you hear from UCSD? I also applied to bioinformatics but I submitted my app on the very last day and I got a message from them back in mid december that they already started reviewing apps and I should submit asap

I have been lurking here for a while but really felt outclassed.  I found this forum right before the Dec. deadlines and realized I didn't know what I was doing.  My university hasn't really been supportive when it comes to an undergrad applying to Doctoral programs.  I have a required class this semester that covers everything I probably needed to know before I started this processs.  

Oh well..... I was frantic up until today.  I got my first Interiew with ASU -Biodesign.  

What do I do now?

Undergrad Institution: Mid sized State School not known for much outside of the state.
Major(s):  Microbiology
Minor(s):  Chemistry
GPA in Major:  3.65
Overall GPA:    3.65
Position in Class: top 5%
Type of Student: Domestic male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 158
V:  169
W:  4.0
B:

Research Experience:   1 Summer REU Texas A&M poster presentation,  1 summer at school graduate lab,  Honor's Thesis

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:   Honor's,  Microbiology Scholarship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:   NA

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: 

Special Bonus Points: LOR  from Department Head

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Applied to (9/11):  MIT - Microbiology, Texas A&M - Biochemistry, Cornell - BMCMB, UTAustin - CMB,  Purdue - PULSE,  Georgia Tech - MCB, Indiana U - MCB, ASU Biodesign,  Utah U  -  Molecular

Interviews (4/24):  ASU - Biodesign (today yeah! first)

Accepted (0/24):

Dear friends- If a school offers two interview sessions at different dates, would it be better to choose the earlier one? I mean, is the chance of getting admitted equal in each session? I think it should be a positive answer, but I'm asking this because I heard one of my friends who is a business major talking about their rolling admission process in which places are filled on the first come, first serve basis. So what do you think?

I probably jumped the gun and RSVP'd too soon to Baylor.  Boston University just offered me an interview the same weekend, so now I have a conflict.  I had to e-mail Boston University and request another weekend or date,  but I was honest and explained the situation to them.  I am sure that admission committees deal with this pretty regularly and understand people apply to multiple programs.  I'm living abroad in Japan, so I don't have as much travel freedom as I would like during this time of year.  It's costing me $1500 for a round trip ticket from Tokyo to the States, and it looks like I can only stay for a couple of weeks.  A couple of the programs have e-mailed me asking if I wanted a Skype interview, but I'm trying to stick to face-to-face if I can so I can make a better impression.

Dear friends- If a school offers two interview sessions at different dates, would it be better to choose the earlier one? I mean, is the chance of getting admitted equal in each session? I think it should be a positive answer, but I'm asking this because I heard one of my friends who is a business major talking about their rolling admission process in which places are filled on the first come, first serve basis. So what do you think?

I think the chance of admission is equal for both interview dates, though I can not say this with any certainty. 

People get accepted within a few days of the first interview session.

On the other hand I was accepted to Columbia on 4/18/11, which was well after both interview dates. I went on an alternative date. 

Rejected today from Syracuse University. Bummer! It was one one of my top choices! I also felt really really good about the application :unsure: Here's to Pittsburgh and Penn State... I hope they being my good news in the next few week. My chances of getting into a PhD program are starting to look slim, but I still have high hopes for the Master's programs.

Ak1921,

I usually tell them that I am such age years old from my city and state. I graduated from x university in 20-whatever and my major/minor was... And then pause. If they dont speak, ask is there anything else you would like to know?

Question about an interview... What's your answer to this question: tell me about yourself? I know they are asking something different than your previous research but what then??

Do you really think they are asking something other than your research? At this stage in your career/life I think it is expected for you to eat, breathe, and sleep science. Of course if you are asked to about what "non-science" activities/things you are interested in then that should be easy. 

If I was asked by myself, I would say something along the lines of - I'm a curious person, my curiosity has motivated my interests throughout my life and only recently did I find a focus that I am considering pursuing for the rest of my life. I have spent the past three years exploring these interest and I want to spend the next 4-6 years developing them. In finding and beginning to pursue these interests I have learned a lot about myself, such as certain strengths and weaknesses. Identifying personal weaknesses during my pursuits has allowed me to grow as a person in x,y,z ways, while simultaneously developing as a scientist. So much of my life in the past three years has been geared toward pursuing a career in science and I am excited about what this next step will bring me. 

I'll leave it to you to fill in the details about what motivated you to apply to graduate school and what you have learned about yourself during your extensive research experience. Seriously though - all other activities about yourself should be taking a back seat to you determination to pursue a career in science during this process. 

Maybe I am wrong, but that is how I honestly feel. 

@ ion_exchanger, banksy- Thanks!! I was asked that question in a skype interview(which is my only interview so far) and had to ask back the interviewer what she wanted to know. I was only prepared to talk about my research and nothing of that kind. It just freaked me out and I don't remember what I did for the whole 30-min...I might have to write down a paragraph about it :(