2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Dream program interview coming up... Nervous question: Is it possible for a professor to take two graduate students in the same year? He mentioned to me that he needed to fill 2 spots, and there are two prospective students for his lab invited to interview weekend (me and one other student I have yet to meet.) 17 people were invited to the weekend and usually they take around 8-10 students a year. Is it possible that his lab would be able to take two in the same year, or do you think they'll just let him take one this year and then again next year since such a small amount of students are able to be admitted? He JUST moved to the school from a previous professorship if that makes any difference. I just don't know if I should feel competitive or try to build a friendship with the other student since we may be working together for a long time.

Why do you have to commit to a professor during the interview? I think that's an interesting scenario that I've not heard about. Do you interview with just him or more than one?

Why do you have to commit to a professor during the interview? I think that's an interesting scenario that I've not heard about. Do you interview with just him or more than one?

It seems E&E programs put more emphasis on this than others, but yes, it is recommended you find who you want to work with prior to applying.

I interview with a bunch of people still though.

Sigh. Still haven't heard any word from UT Southwestern. Any one else here is also waiting for it? I submitted my application (basic science program) way before the priority deadline. And emailed twice about the progress, but no reply.

I have not heard anything either since I was told I was on a "Hold" list on the 14th. I met one of the associate deans when she came as a guest lecturer to a class last semester and we've emailed back and forth a few times when I had questions about the application and whatnot. What she told me was that they needed to go through the entire applicant pool before extending people on the list interview offers. The final application deadline is Friday, so hopefully we'll be hearing from them soon!

Has anyone heard from University of Colorado Boulder (MCDB)? It is getting really late so I am assuming the worst. But I still haven't heard anything from them so there is still a tiny chance. I assume they have been having interviews already but I don't have any concrete info to support that assumption... Does anyone know anything about this program? 

I haven't heard anything either, if that makes you feel any better.  :)

First official rejection (though at this point, I have many assumed) - Brandeis biochem, through email. This one stung, because I really liked the program, and I thought I had an excellent research fit, so...boo on them.

I think I'd rather get the rest of the rejections in the actual mail, though, that way they wouldn't surprise me when I go to look up a tracking number and am not even thinking about grad school apps.

I have not heard anything either since I was told I was on a "Hold" list on the 14th. I met one of the associate deans when she came as a guest lecturer to a class last semester and we've emailed back and forth a few times when I had questions about the application and whatnot. What she told me was that they needed to go through the entire applicant pool before extending people on the list interview offers. The final application deadline is Friday, so hopefully we'll be hearing from them soon!

Yes, hopefully =)

I called them a few days ago, and was told that my application was still under review. Also, the extending of interviews/offers will be no later than March 1st! :ph34r:

Sorry to hear that cleverfool, Brandeis is a great school that I found out was a great research fit when it was too late. I agree that I'd rather have rejections sent through snail mail. In the midst of interview detail emails and acceptances, I'm sorting through rejections. Not cool.

@diamedic17

@diamedic17

Thanks for the info.

I am curious if they talked about the stipend in the interview?

Their web site does not say anything about?

Sort of...that was a shady part about the whole thing that confused me a little bit...stipend is 24,500 (I think, no higher tho) but they said they will offer a signing bonus if you commit to them before a certain date...could be up to 10,000....i've never heard of that before and it makes me think they have a hard time bringing in students (which i'm not sure why because they do have a great program)  They did say though that the funding is guarenteed regardless of your PI's grant status.

Congratulations to the international accepted to Northwestern BME! I'm a Northwestern BME undergrad/master's student, so if you'd like some info, dirt, or whatever to prep you for your decision or study here, let me know.

Has anyone heard from University of Colorado Boulder (MCDB)? It is getting really late so I am assuming the worst. But I still haven't heard anything from them so there is still a tiny chance. I assume they have been having interviews already but I don't have any concrete info to support that assumption... Does anyone know anything about this program? 

I haven't heard anything either, if that makes you feel any better.   :)

Same boat. Haven't heard anything yet.

Yes, hopefully =)

I called them a few days ago, and was told that my application was still under review. Also, the extending of interviews/offers will be no later than March 1st! :ph34r:

Ahhhh!! I don't know if I can take another month of waiting. I had actually been debating whether or not to email the dean about my application, but now I have a timeline to work with. Did they say anything about rejections? Or do you think they'll wait until March 1st and send out a mass email to anyone who didn't get an interview spot?

How much gap do programs usually leave between interview invites and rejection letters? I saw some people receive invites two weeks ago, and someone received one yesterday. However, in past years rejections start going out at this time. I wonder if there's any hope for me.

ok sorry for the rant guys. I'll go back to stalking the results page.

Anyone still waiting to hear from WashU (Devel, Regen, and Stem Cell Bio) or UPenn (CAMB)? Just curious if anyone knows if all the interview invites have been sent out already.

I'm still waiting to hear from UPenn CAMB.  I'm sure it means I've been rejected but I haven't heard anything and of course emailing them is absolutely no help at all.

I'm still waiting to hear from UPenn CAMB.  I'm sure it means I've been rejected but I haven't heard anything and of course emailing them is absolutely no help at all.

Yea, I'm assuming the same :(  and yes, I emailed them and received a "we interview from late Jan to the beginning of March" reply... so frustrating 

University of Illinois-Chicago interview (MCDB)!  This is one of my top choices, so I'm really excited.  Interview dates seem to be the 15th and the 22nd.  I'll be taking the earlier date.

I was informed over the phone.

Hi guys, what are the typical conventions regarding sending thank you emails or other correspondence to professors we meet during interviews? Is it typical to send them an email saying a breif "thanks for taking the time to meet with me, I really enjoyed getting a chance to hear about your research. I am really excited about the program and look forward to hearing from the admissions committee."

I had some really good interviews with a couple people who I have already been talking with about projects but what about other more typical interviews?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi guys, what are the typical conventions regarding sending thank you emails or other correspondence to professors we meet during interviews? Is it typical to send them an email saying a breif "thanks for taking the time to meet with me, I really enjoyed getting a chance to hear about your research. I am really excited about the program and look forward to hearing from the admissions committee."

I had some really good interviews with a couple people who I have already been talking with about projects but what about other more typical interviews?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

I've sent thank yous to all of the professors I met with, as well as the administrative staff. I always include a piece that is specific to what we talked about in the interviews. Sometimes, they respond back, and sometimes they don't. One of the schools I went to, the professors e-mailed me back, very positively, about how they thought the interviews went, that they would recommend me for admission, and that they were happy to meet me. One of them went so far as to recommend two experiments for my current project! Definitely take a few minutes to write them. :)

University of Illinois-Chicago interview (MCDB)!  This is one of my top choices, so I'm really excited.  Interview dates seem to be the 15th and the 22nd.  I'll be taking the earlier date.

I was informed over the phone.

You were saying earlier that isn't GEMS right?