2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

So for one of my upcoming interviews, a couple faculty from the program have contacted me about their research, available graduate student positions, and that they are looking forward to meeting with me when I visit.  Is this a standard procedure?  These are faculty that share similar research interests with me, so I'm assuming they have at least looked at parts of my application.

I'm not sure how to interpret this.  Is this different from an adcomm member interviewing you?  It sounds like a panel of admissions committee members, like you already indicated.

Yes, I meant a panel of admissions committee members, I'm sorry. Does anyone have experience with these types of interviews? Were they better or worse than one on one interviews? Were other graduate students being interviewed alongside you?

I was also wondering about this. I haven't seen or heard anything about Oregon or University of Colorado Boulder. I think maybe ill try calling to ask about the status of their decision process. Ill let you know if I get any info.

Did you ever end up contacting UO?

I've heard nothing from Purdue.  I did see one rejection on the results search, and my file still says "under review".  Maybe they forgot about us all together?  I was thinking of contacting them after I come back this weekend.

I leave for my first interview today.  I'm excited and nervous.  We'll see how it goes!  Good luck to everyone!

Edited by Biohopeful

Everyone seems really nice thus far.  I wish I had more insight into their interview weekends and how many people are admitted afterwards.  It seems like a lot of it based on fit, and whether there are faculty there who have the funds and are willing to take on students who are interested in their research.  Even so, I'm really nervous.  I'm a terrible interviewer.

And thank you for posting that, mybiologyblog!  I'm glad you found a place that you'll be happy to attend.  I'm still sitting here, after applying to "only" 6 schools, wondering if I should have applied to more.  But in the end, it's quality of quantity.

Why are you worried about only applying to 6? I had three interviews (like you), and ended up turning the last one down because the first two were awesome programs that were my top choices and both accepted me. My interview season is already over! I know where I'm going and I'm all set to go, but I need to write a thesis, first.

As long as you selected schools and did your best with your applications, I don't see why you would need more. You will be fine!

ion exchanger, I've had a group interview like that. It wasn't bad-- it's a little awkward having to talk to 6 people at one time, but I didn't mind it. The questions were pretty broad, we talked about the program, my research, a lot of "why do you want to go into research" type questions (which tied back into research). 

Accepted to Stony Brook Molecular Genetics and Microbiology!!!!  Very Excited!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! 

Someone said earlier to bring 'official copies of your transcript' ...  My school charges $7 for official copies.

Can you just bring photo copies?  About how many would you suggest?  Is there any other documents you suggest that I bring to the interviews?   CV?  Research Prospectus?     ?????????????????????

Edited by genesplicer

I didn't bring anything like that to my interviews and it wasn't expected of me. Probably not necessary unless they strictly state it in the interview invite. If a professor hasn't checked out your material before the interview, handing him your transcript or cv isn't a great way to use the 30 minutes you're going to have to convince him you're a good potential grad student. But that's just my view.

Congratulations! 

Someone said earlier to bring 'official copies of your transcript' ...  My school charges $7 for official copies.

Can you just bring photo copies?  About how many would you suggest?  Is there any other documents you suggest that I bring to the interviews?   CV?  Research Prospectus?     ?????????????????????

UCSF specifically requires you to bring official copies of your transcripts to their interviews. Unless they asked you do not need them.

Undergrad Institution: Top tier Turkish university (and exchange in a top tier French University for one academic year)
Major(s): Molecular Biology and Genetics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.75
Overall GPA: 3.68

Position in Class: not quiet sure 2nd or 3rd
Type of Student: International/female

GRE Scores:
Q: 163 (88%)
V: 164 (93%)
W: 3.5
B:

TOEFL Total: 113

Research Experience: 2 months internship at my University in Biotechnology lab, 1.5 months internship at FU Berlin in Neuroscience Institute, 6 months graduation project at my University in Cell Biology lab, theoretical and practical training on laboratory animals in a top tier Turkish University.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list, Erasmus Student Exchange Scholarship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Undergrad assistant for 9 months (both as RA and TA)

Applying to Where:

University of Washington - Genome Sciences (rejected)

Stanford U - Genetics (rejected)

Harvard U - Human Evolutionary Biology

U Chicago - Evolutionary Biology

UPenn - Biomedical 

Penn State - Biology

UC Davis - Population Biology

UC Berkeley - Integrative Biology

Rejections and a bunch of people continuously telling me I have no chance are kinda discouraging but I still have hope let's see ?

Accepted to UChicago Molecular Biosciences Cluster this morning via email :)

Congrats! How did you like the visit? I am going later this month.

Am currently at the airport waiting for my flight to MI, and it seems like half the flights on the board are cancelled. Did anybody have their interview trips affected by the storm?

UW-Seattle Bioengineering interview sent out. Can anyone confirm or deny whether this is it?

EDIT: In my anxiety I forgot that interviews and rejections for Americans have been trickling out. Ha.

Edited by RaganSmash

Congrats!   Do you have any specifics yet?  

I just got a phone call from the adcom member that I interviewed with last week. She said I'd be getting more detailed information in the mail (I believe)... if that is what you meant by specifics!!!

Is anyone going to Weill-Cornell next week? Are you guys wearing suits since its at a medical institute? I have heard for certain institutions it's standard to wear a suit.

I've been wearing dress pants and a nice shirt to my interviews, so I don't want to stand out if everyone is wearing a suit at Weill-Cornell.

@cleverfool: Thanks! I really enjoyed their interview weekend. Everyone is really nice there, and the whole thing is fairly relaxed.

@jatomolo: Congratulations! I'm dying to hear back from them...

So still nobody has heard from Purdue-Biological Sciences? Did they send out rejections, or anything? It's been so long. What about UIC-GEMS?

Saw this on the list this morning:

Purdue University Biological Sciences, PhD (F13) Interview via E-mail on 6 Feb 2013 I 9 Feb 2013

Saw this on the list this morning:

Purdue University Biological Sciences, PhD (F13) Interview via E-mail on 6 Feb 2013 I 9 Feb 2013

Hm so they sent out rejections, but they also sent out acceptances, and I have gotten neither. Haha.

Is anyone going to Weill-Cornell next week? Are you guys wearing suits since its at a medical institute? I have heard for certain institutions it's standard to wear a suit.

I've been wearing dress pants and a nice shirt to my interviews, so I don't want to stand out if everyone is wearing a suit at Weill-Cornell.

I'll be there. I was planning on wearing a suit, just because that is my fall-back if there isn't a specified dress code.