2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Accepted the offer from Albert Einstein College of Medicine :-)

I was starting to wonder how your interviews had gone. I sent you a message a while back. :P I'm glad you made your choice. Doesn't it feel awesome?

After much deliberation, I have accepted Baylor College of Medicine's MD/PhD offer! 

Whoa! You're a brave one! Which department is going to be home during your PhD work?

UMass is a waitlist.  I haven't heard anything from UIC.  Competition was fierce this year.

I've seen acceptances for both following the interviews on the results page, though.

UIC is being really...weird this year. Not a fan. Sorry to hear about that though. 

Applied (0/5):

UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Riverside, UW Madison, Texas A&M

Rejected (1/5):

UC Riverside

Interview (3/5):

UCLA, UW Madison, Texas A&M

Accepted (4/5): 

UC Berkeley (Chancellor's Fellowship), UCLA (Cota-Robles Fellowship, Graduate Dean Scholars Award), UW Madison (SciMed Advanced Opportunity Fellowship), Texas A&M (Graduate Merit Fellowship)

Attending:

UC Berkeley - Environmental Science, Policy, and Management PhD 

Yes! I'm really excited about my decision! Oh, did you send me a another message? I believe I replied the first one.:P

I was starting to wonder how your interviews had gone. I sent you a message a while back. :P I'm glad you made your choice. Doesn't it feel awesome?

Applied (0/5):

UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Riverside, UW Madison, Texas A&M

Rejected (1/5):

UC Riverside

Interview (3/5):

UCLA, UW Madison, Texas A&M

Accepted (4/5): 

UC Berkeley (Chancellor's Fellowship), UCLA (Cota-Robles Fellowship, Graduate Dean Scholars Award), UW Madison (SciMed Advanced Opportunity Fellowship), Texas A&M (Graduate Merit Fellowship)

Attending:

UC Berkeley - Environmental Science, Policy, and Management PhD 

Ht nesw4314, congratulations and best of luck.... what is your profile..i mean gpa, gre, experience etc..

Congratulations everyone!

I haven't received any new results lately.  I'm starting to think it's for the best since I'm considering shifting my focus towards more ecology/evolutionary/conservation biology.  This is scary since the past 4-5 years I've pretty much only known physiology, cell, and molecular biology.  I have a general idea of where I should go from here, but is it going to be as big a transition as I'm making it out to be?

I'm considering shifting my focus towards more ecology/evolutionary/conservation biology.....is it going to be as big a transition as I'm making it out to be?

What kind of background do you have in math/science/statistics and what do you hope to specialize in regarding EEB?

I haven't received any new results lately.  I'm starting to think it's for the best since I'm considering shifting my focus towards more ecology/evolutionary/conservation biology.  This is scary since the past 4-5 years I've pretty much only known physiology, cell, and molecular biology.  I have a general idea of where I should go from here, but is it going to be as big a transition as I'm making it out to be?

There are many ways to combine your background in cell/molecular bio with EEB if that's something that would be interesting to you. Molecular ecology is a good example... I know that, at least in my taxon of interest (insects), there's a lot of cool work being done on pheromones and chemical communication. If you're into evolution and speciation, molecular systematics might be another good choice. Or, if you like behavioral ecology, the physiology underlying animal behavior (hormones, neurobiology, etc.) is an area where a good amount of cool work is being done. I'm expanding my interests into that last category... my background is largely in EEB (especially behavior), but I am joining a lab now that focuses on the neurobiology underlying some of those behaviors. In a way, I'm going in the opposite direction as you... I'm getting more cellular and molecular.

Of course, all of that stuff could be completely uninteresting to you. You don't have to blend cell/molec and EEB at all if you don't want to... you can probably transition to "pure" EEB or conservation biology if you want, as long as you have a solid foundation in general biology and research experience of some kind (not necessarily in EEB, but in some kind of biological science).

Edited by zabius

What kind of background do you have in math/science/statistics and what do you hope to specialize in regarding EEB?

I have Bio, Chem, Physics, and Math through Calculus.  I've taken courses in organic evolution, ecology, and all the major cell, development, genetics, and molecular biology courses.  I could use a course in biostats, however, though I have sequencing experience through my work.

I'm open to exploring conservation, population genetics, predator-human interactions (specifically felines), circadian biology, predator competition, speciation, and ecotoxicology.

@zabius

I'm glad to hear there's significant overlap between the two.  Hopefully I'll have enough experience to pursue a masters program, and then eventually pursue a PhD if that's what I decide to do.

Ok, I know the place for this post is in the decision forum, but I wanted some advice from people who know biology:

I am deciding between UCSF's DSCB program vs. UCSD's BMS.

UCSF is very prestigious, but I got the overwhelming feeling of an elitist environment. I could tell speaking to the grad students that the place is very rigorous, and I can't help but feel that I'll be extra-stressed there.

On the other hand, UCSD was very laid back, and the first thing all the grad students brought up was how happy they were. There's great research going on too, but I worry that the name-recognition won't be quite as good.

I am equally interested in the research at both places.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by dorpedo

Ok, I know the place for this post is in the decision forum, but I wanted some advice from people who know biology:

UCSF is very prestigious, but I got the overwhelming feeling of an elitist environment. I could tell speaking to the grad students that the place is very rigorous, and I can't help but feel that I'll be extra-stressed there.

On the other hand, UCSD was very laid back, and the first thing all the grad students brought up was how happy they were. There's great research going on too, but I worry that the name-recognition won't be quite as good.

I had to make a decision between similar choices for similar reasons

I turned down UCSF to go to UTSW, for  one additional reason ( knew I wouldn't be very "mentored" by PI's at UCSF at least in my subfield).

The fact that students (as well as faculty) seemed super happy and enthusiastic at UTSW was a super plus for me. The faculty and students were super welcoming, and faculty had projects that they wanted me to come work on. At UCSF it was like, you could rotate/join my lab but I don't personally care if you do kind of vibe.I guess it really depends on what you think you want/need. I did not get the "competitive" vibe from students while I was at UCSF but that was my experience. I just didn't think the large labs were a place I would flourish. 

Do you think you would do just as well in both places? For me I knew I could survive UCSF, but I would be less productive overall because they seem to demand more independence that I'm just not up for yet.

Edited by mrmolecularbiology

I toured at UCSD last year, and I loved their campus and facilities. People seem pretty happy to be there. I didn't even apply to UCSF; I didn't like the vibe I got from their site. You would think someone waitlisted for the same program at UCSD would be telling you to go elsewhere, but I really think it is an awesome program. I'm happy with my choice, and I think you'll be happy with that one. :)

Something to consider also: don't go where the faculty are successful at the expense of strung out, stressed out graduate students. UCSF is prestigious primarily based on successful faculty.  While the graduate student may still be successful in a program like that, such an environment is not necessary for success.   Try to find a place where everyone is happy and the graduate students are still successful.  There is a balance, and it sounds to me like UCSD might be the place, much like UTSW for mrmolecularbiology, and UGA for me (only I didn't have the opportunity to turn down UCSF!) (I said success too many times just now)

Thanks guys, awesome advice!

Mrmolbio, I totally agree- even though the students at SF say they get extra guidance b/c of the no undergrads thing, I also got that vibe that profs didn't really care if I join their lab.

Now I just have to decide how much I trust the vibes I got...