2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Hey team, 

I'm looking for advice on picking a computational biology program (between Yale, Cornell Tri-I, and UC Berkeley). I'm pretty sure I know where I'm leaning, but your thoughts would be helpful.

I'm coming from a molecular bio background, and my primary educational goals are to improve my applied math and CS skills. I'm mostly interested in doing structural bio/molecular dynamics/systems bio research. Location is important... I'd prefer to be somewhere reasonably cosmopolitan mostly for my personal life (dating, whatnot). Campus vibe and reputation are also important. I want to be with the smartest peers and faculty I can, in a place with good teaching/mentoring, that's recognized as one of the top universities (by employers in science/other industry), and preferably where students enjoy their lives and like their school. 

So... which would you pick? 

Thanks!

-Cogidubnus

Edited by Cogidubnus

Hey team, 

I'm looking for advice on picking a computational biology program (between Yale, Cornell Tri-I, and UC Berkeley). I'm pretty sure I know where I'm leaning, but your thoughts would be helpful.

I'm coming from a molecular bio background, and my primary educational goals are to improve my applied math and CS skills. I'm mostly interested in doing structural bio/molecular dynamics/systems bio research. Location is important... I'd prefer to be somewhere reasonably cosmopolitan mostly for my personal life (dating, whatnot). Campus vibe and reputation are also important. I want to be with the smartest peers and faculty I can, in a place with good teaching/mentoring, that's recognized as one of the top universities (by employers in science/other industry), and preferably where students enjoy their lives and like their school. 

Thanks!

-Cogidubnus

As a current Berkeley student who didn't apply to the other schools on your list, I can only speak to how great it is to be here: really great. Location is wonderful, the research is awesome, I don't think I can complain about much here :) If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

I hear Clown College is extremely prestigious and very highly ranked among schools for the biomedical sciences.

Alas, I did not take the GRE subject test for clowning around on time, so I wasn't able to make the application deadline. So jealous!

:D :D

If it's truly your first choice, I suggest that you wait a year and apply. I had so much fun on the interview, with everyone clowning around. The research is a hoot and the faculty and students are a riot.

I got accepted to: Brandeis MCB, Brown MCB, Tufts-Sackler ISP, and Uconn (Biomed).  (and still waiting/hoping to hear back from UMass Medical).

I think I know my top choice(s) but am still wavering a bit.  My focus is molecular biology, and my end goal is industry. 

"Reputation" wise which of these 5 is the best?  (Not the most important criteria for me by far, but I thought I'd get a good response from this forum, especially as other criteria such as research fit,etc are personal)

Any honest thoughts/opinions about these programs will be helpful!  Did anyone interview at these schools?  I didn't see them represented often in the posts I read here.

Woohoo, just received unofficial acceptance from University of Rochester IMV!!  :wub:

One question: does an official acceptance usually come with additional information about stipend and courses and so on?? :lol:

Financial information will be in that letter or come shortly thereafter.

Woohoo, just received unofficial acceptance from University of Rochester IMV!!  :wub:

One question: does an official acceptance usually come with additional information about stipend and courses and so on?? :lol:

Congratulations! Official acceptances typically give you more information about their offer to you, including stipend, but usually not a lot of detail as far as courses or similar aspects of the program (details that are usually provided during interview weekends or on the program website).

Edited by bassish101

I believe so. My unofficial acceptance was from a program administrator. The official acceptance was sent by the school and was on the official application website, which showed the amount of my stipend and health insurance, etc. For my other program, the total acceptance was just the email, and it had most of the information, and said that additional information would be received after you accept the offer. Not much more is listed in an official acceptance, usually that comes after you accept the offer.

Hey team, 

Thanks!

-Cogidubnus

I would go with UCB, then again I would never want to live in new york city so i'm kind of biased.

Got an email asking directing me to the Northwestern University website for a decision regarding my application.  Considering I didn't make to the interview round, I have a feeling what the result is.  At least it's official now.

No word from anywhere else... Does it normally take this long for schools to get back to you?

Wrap up time.

Undergrad Institution: Large State School
Major(s): Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.81
Overall GPA: 3.88
Type of Student: American male

GRE Scores (New/Old version):
Q: 157/730 (71%)
V: 156/550  (69%)
W: 4.5         (73%)

Research Experience: 3 years: 1 second author pub in press, another second author pub to be submitted soon, two first author pubs in progress

LORs: ​I had three extremely good letters of recommendation that back up my to be published claims on my CV and in my SOP.

Applied  Where:
Stanford - Biosciences: rejected by mail 1/26/13

Cornell- Biophysics: Invited to interview by email on 12/14/12; Notified of acceptance week following interview by email

UCSF - iPQB: Invited to interview on 1/15/12 by email; Notified of acceptance the following week by phone call from POI

UC Berkeley - Biophysics: As of 3-11-13 I have still not heard a peep from UCB.

UW-Madison- Biophysics: Invited to interview on 1/11/13; Declined Interview due to conflict.

UT Southwestern- Molecular Biophysics: Invited to interview 1/17/13 by email; Notified the Following monday of acceptance by phone.  ATTENDING FALL 2013  :D

Duke- Structural Biology and Biophysics: Invited to interview by phone 1/28/12; Notified of acceptance by automated email service two weeks after interview.

Johns Hopkins- Program in Molecular Biophysics: Invited to interveiw by email 1/11/12; 

One thing I will say is that before the interview process I intended to go to UCSF (pending acceptance of course) and had absolutely no intention of going to a school in texas (no offense texans I was just trying to escape the bible belt). But the research fit and the environment were exactly what I was looking for. I know I made the right choice for me. 

Edited by mrmolecularbiology

Got into Weill Cornell...ha stressed for nothing.  :P

That's great! Are you still planning on attending? I'm about 90% sure I'm attending but I'm waiting for the official letter to arrive before I commit.

How long after the interview did they take?  I am still waiting to hear back from ASU 2.5 weeks.

Almost a month! The Interview weekend was Feb 13-15. I heard back late last night. The first acceptances were sent out last week. Maybe ASU has paperwork to fill out or the dean has to sign off on some things.

That's great! Are you still planning on attending? I'm about 90% sure I'm attending but I'm waiting for the official letter to arrive before I commit.

I really like the program and I think I am leaning towards attending, but I am going to think things through first before I make a decision. I don't want to make a decision right away.

Hey guys,

I've narrowed down my decision to UCSD Biomedical Sciences and UCLA ACCESS. I was wondering what anyone had to say about either of these programs if they had any advice. I'm leaning towards UCSD because I feel that the research opportunities are stronger and I like the overall scientific environment more there, but I did meet a researcher I connected well with at UCLA. I'm not sure whether to go with more research opportunities in general in my field or a specific researcher. I was wondering what you had to say!

Thanks,

Super

Hey guys,

I've narrowed down my decision to UCSD Biomedical Sciences and UCLA ACCESS. I was wondering what anyone had to say about either of these programs if they had any advice. I'm leaning towards UCSD because I feel that the research opportunities are stronger and I like the overall scientific environment more there, but I did meet a researcher I connected well with at UCLA. I'm not sure whether to go with more research opportunities in general in my field or a specific researcher. I was wondering what you had to say!

Thanks,

Super

I agree with bassish101 Having multiple labs to choose from is important.