2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Big day today! rejected 6 offers and accepted accepted Johns Hopkins Medical School Cellular and Molecular Medicine PhD program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I got a couple emails asking me to identify labs I'm especially interested in from them right after the interview weekend.  After that, I haven't heard anything, so I have no idea if I'm accepted or not.  I want this whole process to be over lol

Has anybody received any response from University of Toledo PhD in Biomedical Science program? The status of my application has been 'compelete awaiting decision'  since 11th january and their application deadline was 15th january. I was never offered an interview, i don't even know if they interview candidates at all. I am getting nervous since that is the only program I applied to. Any insights?

Can anybody help me by answering my quesion; how long from the application dedadline does a PhD in Biomedical Science program (that doesn't coduct any iterviews) typically take to make decisions? I am still waiting to hear from a program.

Can anybody help me by answering my quesion; how long from the application dedadline does a PhD in Biomedical Science program (that doesn't coduct any iterviews) typically take to make decisions? I am still waiting to hear from a program.

Hey gunjrita, unfortunately there is no set rule. It varies between all programs.

Undergrad/Grad Institution: University of California (UC)-one of the top three schools (BS/MS)

Major(s): Biochemistry and Cell Biology
Minor(s): Economics
GPA in Major: 3.36 (BS), 4.0 (MS)
Overall GPA:  3.36 (BS), 4.0 (MS)
Position in Class: above average...average dept graduating gpa is 2.95)

Type of Student: Domestic male
GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 162 (86%)
V: 167 (97%)
W: 5.0 (92%)
B:

Research Experience: 2.5 years in well-respected immunology lab (4 months as UG, 2 years full-time as Master's student), one third-author paper submitted to high impact journal for translational research

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Award for best Master's research at Dept Research Conference last year

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA'd 9 times for upper division UC biology classes, including lab classes and classes relevant to my field

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Wrote and defended Master's thesis (Immunology) a couple of months ago, have letters of rec from 2 people on my thesis committee
Special Bonus Points: 4 strong letters of rec

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: GPA was very good during last year of my undergrad (taking relevant coursework) and in grad school.  Have quite a few A+ grades. Strong improvement from first two years.

Applying to Where:

UCB- MCB - Immunology and Pathogenesis

UCSF-Biosciences-Immunology

UCD Immunology

UCSB-MCDB-Microbiology

Stanford-Biosciences-Immunology

U of Washington-Immunology

Interviews: 5/6 UCSF, UCB, UCD, UCSB, UW

Rejected: 1/6 Stanford

Acceptances: 2/6 UW, UCSB

Has any domestic non-fellowship applicant who interviewed with Berkeley heard back yet?  I interviewed 2/4-2/6 and they're keeping me in suspense! I emailed two POI shortly after the interview and received prompt replies from both saying that they really enjoyed meeting me and had gotten a lot of positive feedback from others I interviewed with.  They said wait a few weeks till the second interview weekend is over. I have a bad feeling that UCs are admitting fewer people this year because research funding is down so much from last year.

Edited by friscokid89

Rejected post interview from Drexel...not sure why, I did get a bad feeling from one of the interviewers on the board but I'd really like to know why or what I said....Looks like this guy is going to Stony Brook.  My first choice school but last choice location so I'm pretty happy in regards to the school but am scared to death about surviving in Long Island!!

Hi all.  I've been accepted to two programs as of now, and I would like your help in my decision process.  Here are the programs:

Option 1) University of Georgia - Ph.D. in Genetics

Pros: Large state school with lots of resources, class options, and collaboration opportunities. Several faculty (~4-5) with my research interests (developmental genetics).  Athens, GA is an awesome town and very inexpensive to live.  Funding ($24k) is guaranteed for 5 years, no teaching requirements in first year. Current grad students (and faculty) seemed enthusiastic and we got along very well. Close to home (North Florida).  

Cons: None I can think of? Perhaps the size of the university, but I see the downsides of this as being negligible. 

Option 2) Northeastern University - Ph.D. in Biology

Pros: POI here is doing exactly what I envision for my direction of future research (regenerative biology, i.e., genetics of limb regeneration is Salamanders). Boston is an ideal city for collaborations between universities.  Younger POI with start-up funds.  Enthusiastic about me potentially joining.  

Cons: Smaller university with potentially less resources- class options seemed to be fewer than UGA.  Only one faculty (mentioned above) that I am interested in, so, if that doesn't work out.....   Funding not guaranteed for summer (therefore stipend could range from $20-25k, which is not great for Boston's price of living).  Current grad students not as enthusiastic about the program and their work.

I think the choice is fairly clear, but I want outside opinions on this as well.   A third option may arise (Thomas Jefferson University, Ph.D. in Cell and Developmental Biology with focus in Regenerative Medicine), but I have yet to hear back post-interview, so we can cross that bridge later.  Any comments would be very appreciated. 

@floridabio: It seems like you prefer University of Georgia, which, from what you wrote, seems like the better choice. Things don't always work out as planned and professors can move to a new university, not have space, retire, etc., so you're really better off going somewhere that you could see yourself working in a bunch of different labs. I think choosing the correct graduate school is a very personal decision, so you should definitely go with your gut. Best of luck!

@diamedic17: Long Island can be a ton of fun, but you'll need a car. Overall, it's a great place to live, I promise!

PS - Long Islanders hate when people say "in Long Island" :P

@diamedic17: Long Island can be a ton of fun, but you'll need a car. Overall, it's a great place to live, I promise!

PS - Long Islanders hate when people say "in Long Island" :P

thanks!!  is ''on long island'' better?  any suggestions as to where to look for inexpensive housing?  i have a wife, baby daughter and two dogs.

@diamedic17: Yes, on Long Island is the correct phrasing lol. Not really sure about finding cheap housing. I know that a lot of people will rent a part of a house (i.e. a basement apartment) decently close to campus, which would probably be your best bet for being inexpensive and pet-friendly housing. Sorry, I'm not much help in this category.

Undergrad/Grad Institution: University of California (UC)-one of the top three schools (BS/MS)

Major(s): Biochemistry and Cell Biology

Minor(s): Economics

GPA in Major: 3.36 (BS), 4.0 (MS)

Overall GPA: 3.36 (BS), 4.0 (MS)

Position in Class: above average...average dept graduating gpa is 2.95)

Type of Student: Domestic male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Q: 162 (86%)

V: 167 (97%)

W: 5.0 (92%)

B:

Research Experience: 2.5 years in well-respected immunology lab (4 months as UG, 2 years full-time as Master's student), one third-author paper submitted to high impact journal for translational research

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Award for best Master's research at Dept Research Conference last year

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA'd 9 times for upper division UC biology classes, including lab classes and classes relevant to my field

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Wrote and defended Master's thesis (Immunology) a couple of months ago, have letters of rec from 2 people on my thesis committee

Special Bonus Points: 4 strong letters of rec

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: GPA was very good during last year of my undergrad (taking relevant coursework) and in grad school. Have quite a few A+ grades. Strong improvement from first two years.

Applying to Where:

UCB- MCB - Immunology and Pathogenesis

UCSF-Biosciences-Immunology

UCD Immunology

UCSB-MCDB-Microbiology

Stanford-Biosciences-Immunology

U of Washington-Immunology

Interviews: 5/6 UCSF, UCB, UCD, UCSB, UW

Rejected: 1/6 Stanford

Acceptances: 2/6 UW, UCSB

Has any domestic non-fellowship applicant who interviewed with Berkeley heard back yet? I interviewed 2/4-2/6 and they're keeping me in suspense! I emailed two POI shortly after the interview and received prompt replies from both saying that they really enjoyed meeting me and had gotten a lot of positive feedback from others I interviewed with. They said wait a few weeks till the second interview weekend is over. I have a bad feeling that UCs are admitting fewer people this year because research funding is down so much from last year.

Sorry that I do not have answer for your question, but I've got a question for you! Did you have interview at UCSF BMS and you haven't heard back from them yet? I was just wondering if they are still reviewing applications of interviewees and sorting out accepted people.

Sorry that I do not have answer for your question, but I've got a question for you! Did you have interview at UCSF BMS and you haven't heard back from them yet? I was just wondering if they are still reviewing applications of interviewees and sorting out accepted people.

No need to answer the first part, as a couple hours after I wrote this post, I got an acceptance email from Berkeley.  Pretty stoked about that.  As for UCSF, yes I interviewed 2nd weekend there, but haven't heard back.  Felt like I had a "better fit" at Berkeley, so it wouldn't surprise me if UCSF says no.

No need to answer the first part, as a couple hours after I wrote this post, I got an acceptance email from Berkeley. Pretty stoked about that. As for UCSF, yes I interviewed 2nd weekend there, but haven't heard back. Felt like I had a "better fit" at Berkeley, so it wouldn't surprise me if UCSF says no.

Congratulations for acceptance from Berkeley!!