2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Ruhi:  All mine have been verified.  I don't know what's up with your guys' apps... I do still get emails indicating that I still need to send required materials, although I've already sent them all in and interviewed.

I would contact the department to make sure they have everything.  If they do, then great, nothing you need to worry about anymore.

Biohopeful,

That's great for you. Mine just transcript verified. Moreover I am International but living here; so applied as international student. I guess we're the low priority!

BTW I think you should contact both department program coordinator and admission office as well to find out whats going on there.

The system doesn't always sends email. one of my transcript was not accepted and they updated another link for new one, but I never got any email about it. Had I not opened it countless time in a day I would have never known that!

Thanks for your update!

Edited by Ruhi

Currently on my third interview, and have been informed that the target matriculation is 30%. Yikes! For other programs it's 25%!

Do you mean the percent of admission offers extended that are actually accepted (sometimes called the yield rate)? The program I'm holding for has a historical yield rate of 40-50% :(

Currently on my third interview, and have been informed that the target matriculation is 30%. Yikes! For other programs it's 25%!

That sounds about right; matriculation occurs after offers are accepted and you start attending. They'll invite more than that, and several will take other offers. The schools I went to always accepted 50% more than they could take... So, for example, if 30 students are accepted, 15-17 end up attending... Those 30 selected came from an interview pool of 45-50 people, though it seems interview pools vary like crazy.

I meant they are interviewing 10 of us for three slots. I may have meant to say acceptance rate. Competition feels tight. None of my other interviews have felt this competitive. This is my top choice.

Edited by ion_exchanger

Yeah, most acceptance post-interview rates seem to be about 50-75% (assuming applicants will take offers elsewhere).  3 for 10 seems pretty tight, too.

Ken:  I use android and found a decent GRE vocabulary for that, but not sure about iOS.

In UIC application system of all of you had interview or have interview in near future, is the status of uploaded documents "verified" or is it blank in both "Requirement" and "additional program requirement" section?

After two months of submitting my documents, they updated my transcripts only as verified in the "Requirement" section. Department requirements doesn't update anything. I am trying to figure out if it's same with others or just me?

:unsure:

Same for me. They had an error on my application indicating that I had graduated, and they were waiting 2 months for my "final transcript", which didn't exist. The first two times I called they said not to worry about it, the 3rd time I called they said that was weird and they fixed it a day later, and my application finally was listed as complete. 

Same for me. They had an error on my application indicating that I had graduated, and they were waiting 2 months for my "final transcript", which didn't exist. The first two times I called they said not to worry about it, the 3rd time I called they said that was weird and they fixed it a day later, and my application finally was listed as complete. 

Hi Trickster31,

Thank you for your reply. But does your all documents say "verified" including the program requirement section ( the second section that includes GRE score, reco letters etc ?

where does it say complete?

In my page by "Status" it says "App materials received- please await further updates"

Hi Trickster31,

Thank you for your reply. But does your all documents say "verified" including the program requirement section ( the second section that includes GRE score, reco letters etc ?

where does it say complete?

In my page by "Status" it says "App materials received- please await further updates"

Yup, mine says that too, and then under Decision it says Referred to College for Review. I only have a check mark next to transcripts saying verified-correct. I didn't notice the check mark until like 2 weeks ago I want to say?

Does anyone know the dress code for the Mount Sinai interview? And how was it?

I would suggest you to shoot an e-mail to the coordinator regarding the dress code. Although last year most kids in my group suit up for the interview.

I wasn't applying for neuroscience so I can't tell you much about the faculty members in that discipline. But you're expected to meet with 3 faculty members that may/may not be your POI, and a current graduate student for the interview (not sure how much is weighted on the latter one.) The program heavily emphasizes on research fit and goals. My impression is that they prefer students conduct translational research over hardcore basic research.

Edited by aberrant

I'm going to an interview next Monday and Tuesday, but the program still hasn't sent me the list of interviewers yet. Is this normal?

If you're referring to University of Florida, yes. I got my list of interviewers on a Saturday, and I left for my visit the next morning. I'd expect it tomorrow sometime. Also don't expect your list to be final; several of us had changes in professors. You'll be able to look them up once you get there if you need to; the internet was free at the hotel.

The other schools let me know at least a week in advance. I don't know what the deal was at UF other than that it is several more students per round so it is probably much more difficult to schedule. You'll have fun. :)

I agree with biohopeful. Sometimes the applicant doesn't match what's on paper. Their personality might come across in a weird way. They may seem like they are more interested in another school, or the ad com might think that your other list of schools would cause you to turn down their offer, so be careful about seeming too enthusiatic about your interview at another school when they ask, because they will. You might have gotten drunk at the dinners and said something obnoxious. They may only have the funding to take a few of the interviewees.

My interview this weekend went great.

One side note: A girl I was talking to there said that she went on the UIC-GEMS interview last weekend, so for all of us waiting for that, I think we should probably give up. I already had, but yah. 

I was rejected post interview at ASU, I think because I wasn't a good fit for the program. I went in thinking that it was rotation based, but they highly discourage rotations and one professor said I actually can't rotate at all and a lab has to admit me. Funding there is not very stable either and I expressed some concerns about this. Apparently it's not uncommon to have students going with no salary or health insurance in the summer if they can't TA. I work a full time job now so I would have a hard time bringing my quality of life down to the point of having no health insurance for months at a time.

So yep, I definitely can see how people get rejected post interview! You can come across as being surprised and unfocused about aspects of the program, like me, and that comes across badly in a program where they expect you to have chosen a particular topic of interest that's very narrow. Or, maybe I said I enjoyed Michigan State too much!

Edited by Gina