2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Also rejected from UCSF. I don't really know why. Only reason I can think of is that I responded honestly about other schools I was applying to. Sad because I was seriously considering going to UCSF over the others.

They let us know by automated message to their application program.

Oh no... All of my interviewers from the school that I just been to asked me what schools I applied.

All of my schools asked as well. I don't believe that it has affected me negatively. If that's what they base their decision on, that's extremely unfair. I know they don't expect us to apply to only one program, or equally competitive programs.

Laggs0, I see you have been accepted to UPenn BMB. Congratulations! I loved their program, it will be a hard choice between my top two. I was at the first interview weekend.

Edited by ion_exchanger

For anyone going on the interview at UIUC MCB this weekend, have fun.

Unofficial is this weekend, I'll be the one walking around in green  :P

http://www.uofiwiki.org/wiki/Unofficial_Saint_Patrick's_Day

20,000 extra people usually come down in addition to the 40,000 here, but don't let it deter you. I don't know why they planned one of their interviews for this weekend, but just know this is about as crazy as our campus gets. 

Just got an email from the director of my top choice program wanting to know when I would be available to talk on the phone about my application and the graduate program. I think my heart is about to beat out of my chest!! Ahhhhh!!!!

awesome! which program is that?

The Experimental Pathology program at University of Texas Medical Branch. They have a BSL-4 lab :3 And thank you!! Belated congratulations on getting accepted to UTSW!

Others had asked about getting rejected post-interview, or getting accepted after not being invited to interview so I can share on both of those.

I interviewed at Boston University, and wasn't rejected, but wasn't out-right admitted either (If that makes sense).  Several schools invited me to interview, or accepted me because I have outside funding covering in-state tuition and $10,000/yr in living expenses for four years.  That opened up more doors for me than I would've expected.  BU said they'd let me know by mid-March, but several others I know have already been accepted into the program with full funding.  BU informed me if I was accepted, that I shouldn't expect the same stipend as other students for the first year.  Well I appreciate their honesty, it did crush my spirits a little.

On another note, UC Santa Cruz accepted me one week ago after their interview weekends, and I was never invited for an interview.  It was also very short notice while i was in the state of California doing interviews at UC Irvine and UC Riverside.  Although, their story was similar to BU, and said that due to having received outside funding that they could take me as a graduate student, and that I might be able to secure more funding via TAships, fellowships, etc. (Although this wouldn't be guaranteed).  

Both BU and UC Santa Cruz asked me to hold tight on making acceptances.  After reading a few books on graduate school admissions, and following these forums though I opted to only seriously consider schools who were willing to offer me the same stipends as the other applicants.  Therefore I am now trying to decide between UC Irvine, UC Denver, Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) and UC Riverside.  Although right now it looks like I'll accept the offer from UC Irvine, for their graduate program in Mathematical, Computational and Systems Biology.  So if I went to UC Irvine, I'd get the full stipend, in addition to my 10k fellowship from the outside agency.  Also, for those curious yes I did inform UCSC and BU that if they were willing to put me on the same playing field as the other admitted students that I would seriously consider their offer.  

So it seems the books were right.  They said you'd be faced with deciding between great programs offering you no funding, and top-tier programs offering you great funding.  I believe I am going to go with their advice and go with the programs that offer me great funding.  

Edited by bio0930

Also rejected from UCSF. I don't really know why. Only reason I can think of is that I responded honestly about other schools I was applying to. Sad because I was seriously considering going to UCSF over the others.

They let us know by automated message to their application program.

In most cases, I don't think an honest discussion about the programs you applied to affects an institution's decision (unless you enthusiastically rave about one of the other programs you are considering). They are aware that you are applying to other good schools, but are still looking for people who would be happy to join their specific program. I think post-interview decisions really come down to whether or not the program is a good fit for you and how well your application fits who you are in reality.

Edited by bassish101

Oh no... All of my interviewers from the school that I just been to asked me what schools I applied.

No worries!!! They asked me what schools I'd interviewed at and where I'd been accepted. I /still/ got accepted even though they knew I'd been accepted elsewhere and where else I was waitlisted and offered interviews at. If you make a good impression and they want you in the program, I think you can still get accepted unless you completely tell them that you're more interested in another program. :) I got home from UF and then two days later, I had a decision. I would expect yours within the next week or so!

That was exhausting. JHU BCMB called the day after my recruitment weekend with the acceptance notice! What an amazing cohort. NU IBiS is a very interesting program, had a good time there too. Best of luck to everyone! Productive trip overall :)

Edit: I was told that decisions for IBiS would be made this Friday and announced throughout next week.

Edited by flat_rhino

Hi everyone, Have been following this topic with interest and have joined this site only recently. Have applied for PhD program to Temple, Virginia Tech and SUNY Downstate medical center, but haven't heard from them yet regarding an interview or rejection. I have seen in couple of posts that acceptances are made without an interview. Is this an exception or the practice with some schools. Does anyone know about the admission status at these schools ? Haven't come across anyone in this topic to have applied to these schools. will be a lot of help if some one can clarify. Congrats to those who have been accepted and goodluck to those who are waiting for the good news.

Congratulations bcell23!!!! I'm sure it must feel so good to commit to a school!

Biohopeful, I wouldn't see it as a bad sign yet. Unfortunately some schools are slower than others. I interviewed for a school on the 7th as well that I haven't heard from, and I pretty much know for a fact that I have been accepted. If march 7th rolls around and you haven't heard, or see any updates on the results page, then I would maybe call or email. Don't stress just yet.

I got a couple emails asking me to identify labs I'm especially interested in from them right after the interview weekend.  After that, I haven't heard anything, so I have no idea if I'm accepted or not.  I want this whole process to be over lol

Congrats!

Guys, is it a bad sign that I'm still waiting to hear back from a school I interviewed with on the 7th?  Like I'm unofficially waitlisted or something?  =\

I wouldn't worry yet, I also interviewed on the 7th-8th and haven't heard back officially, but I've had a lot of email exchanges with several people there and the outcome looks favorable. They just told me "now is the slow part," which I'm not sure what that means, but I think they need to look at their last few interview weekends and decide who gets what fellowship and award and etc.