Any Other Slavic Applicants This Year?

Ablukhov

Exactly.  Not sure why I had to look at these statistics either.  I really think I'll hear from Indiana this week or next week.  So... in a matter of days, my future will be decided.  I can't handle it!  :o

Hi Ian:

I applied to UChicago too and haven't heard anything yet. Do you know (or does anyone know) if they usually interview applicants? Thanks for the stats Karent. I had searched for them before but could never find anything.

Hi Renwod90. I don't think they do. At least, their website doesn't say they do. But you knew that already. I don't know anyone who's applied there, so I've no idea. 

Chicago's site says decisions will be made "during the first half of March" - I wonder how strict they are about this. Do other schools keep to the timeframes they post on their websites? 

just had my interview! I think it went okay. I was so nervous.

You must have interviewed immediately after me!

I was very happy that mine went well. I always worry that I'm at a disadvantage because I haven't been to Russia, or spent time in a Russian-speaking area, but I think I did fine anyway.

You must have interviewed immediately after me!

I was very happy that mine went well. I always worry that I'm at a disadvantage because I haven't been to Russia, or spent time in a Russian-speaking area, but I think I did fine anyway.

Is an interview normal procedure for all doctoral programmes?

Apart from Kansas, which I know interviewed you by phone, did any of the schools you applied to measure your Russian skills in some way other than your undergrad results? Some written task, for example? Chicago didn't ask for anything extra. I hope my Russian skills came across in my letters of recommendation!

Apart from Kansas, which I know interviewed you by phone, did any of the schools you applied to measure your Russian skills in some way other than your undergrad results? Some written task, for example? Chicago didn't ask for anything extra. I hope my Russian skills came across in my letters of recommendation!

The University of Washington asked me to take a written Russian proficiency exam (four pages, two hours). One of my current professors proctored it and mailed it back.

Two of my letter-writers are Russian professors, and like you I trust them to convey my abilities in the language.

The University of Washington asked me to take a written Russian proficiency exam (four pages, two hours). One of my current professors proctored it and mailed it back.

Two of my letter-writers are Russian professors, and like you I trust them to convey my abilities in the language.

Interesting. 

I'm planning on the Slavic Linguistics track. My main interest is in functional-typological approaches to Slavic aspect, but I'm also interested in bilingualism, grammatical semantics, and language acquisition.

What about you, maceochi? What areas of Slavic studies are you most interested in?

Well, as I said above, I have no formal linguistics background whatsoever. I studied both Russian and French at undergrad and have lived for a total of three years in Russia, so my Russian knowledge is more practical. Nonetheless, if Chicago accepts me I'll take the linguistics track. I don't know if taking up linguistics at this stage is realistic, but I want to try. I'm interested in morphology, especially the morphological changes Russian has undergone as a result of social and political events - the October Revolution and the fall of the Soviet Union, for example. In a broader sense I'm interested in the interactions of state and language - official languages, language rights and language policies (especially for minority languages), for example, the Russian language in the Ukraine and Latvia (and the post-Soviet space in general). What drives me most of all is my ambition to become a teacher of Russian, but alongside that I want to learn something (well, more than just 'something'!) about linguistics as a science.

hey maceochi, to answer your question from a while back, people generally apply to several programs because the factors determining why a program chooses one qualified applicant over another in a given year can be pretty unpredictable from the prospective student's stand point. But, of course, it only takes one acceptance! 

Yes, of course. Understandable. I was too cheap and only wanted to spend $65 on one application! But, seriously, I only really liked Chicago, from what I read online. 

Who's your favourite Russian novellist/poet/short story writer and why?

Ah, that was just a bit of doctoral applications humour for you there to lighten the mood of nail-biting suspense!

I've never read any Bely, I'm sorry to say. This is the year I tick some big names off the Russian reading list, so I will get round to him eventually. 

Another question: is there any time of day that universities usually send their notifications about decisions? My time zone is GMT+2, or Central+8, so I'd like to know when there's no point in waiting for a certain email to arrive. 

Ah, that was just a bit of doctoral applications humour for you there to lighten the mood of nail-biting suspense!

I've never read any Bely, I'm sorry to say. This is the year I tick some big names off the Russian reading list, so I will get round to him eventually. 

Another question: is there any time of day that universities usually send their notifications about decisions? My time zone is GMT+2, or Central+8, so I'd like to know when there's no point in waiting for a certain email to arrive. 

No way to tell... and no respite for us...

It's nerve-racking waiting to hear results. I still haven't heard from anymore schools, but I did receive my funding offer from my acceptance; it was very generous.

Congrats on whoever got into Harvard.