Any Other Slavic Applicants This Year?

Ablukhov

Ooh, I like predictions! What makes you say that? The "first half of March" guideline on the Humanities Division application site? 

I also got accepted to Washington, but wasn't offered any funding. But that's okay, since I wasn't considering it very strongly (too far from home in New York, mostly).

I just want to hear from Toronto. I haven't heard anything at all from that program.

I just want to hear from Toronto. I haven't heard anything at all from that program.

Well, as you might have seen in the results search, there's been at least one rejection from Toronto's Slavic department so far. 

Well, as you might have seen in the results search, there's been at least one rejection from Toronto's Slavic department so far. 

I did see that. I guess in this case, no news is good news?

I've no idea how the process works. They obviously don't notify everyone, both successful and unsuccessful applicants, at the same time, at least at Toronto. Have you heard anything about the decision-making process?

Hey guys,

I posted on here a while ago, but for those of you who weren't around yet, I am planning to apply for Slavic Linguistics Ph.D. programs for fall 2014 (so I'll be sending in applications this next fall). I am really hoping to do an intensive Russian program this coming summer to up my Russian proficiency... I took two years of college Russian, did the Critical Language Scholarship in Russia which is supposed to be about a year of intensive Russian crammed into two months, but now I am in law school (so it's been about three years since I have formally studied Russian). I was in Russia this last summer but I wasn't doing a language program, so I only got a little bit of real life Russian practice every now and then.

I applied for Middlebury for this summer and got in, but I did not get a full fellowship. I really can only do a program if I am fully funded, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me of other summer Russian programs that you know have full funding options I could apply for. I don't think my school (OU-Oklahoma) has FLAS funding. I've applied for the SWSEEL at Indiana-Bloomington and gotten in so I'm waiting on funding. Was also thinking of applying for Pitt, Arizona State, and Beloit. Any other options yall know about? They can be domestic or in Russia (or somewhere else, like Ukraine, etc.) Thanks so much!!

Waitlisted at Toronto. It looks like I will be in Lawrence, Columbus, or Bloomington in the fall.

Now to make some campus visits!

^ If you visit Bloomington I'd love to know about your experience. I'm not able to vist.

Still waiting on four more schools.

• 2 weeks later...

I had been waitlisted by the University of Toronto, but received notice this morning that I'd been accepted! I can't believe it!

^ If you visit Bloomington I'd love to know about your experience. I'm not able to vist.

Still waiting on four more schools.

Eidda, I haven't had a chance to visit Bloomington, but did make it up to KU last week. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the program there.

Congrats! I've made my decision and will be in Bloomington as its a great department and I received a fellowship!

Edited by Eidda

Congrats! I've made my decision and will be in Bloomington as its a great department and I received a fellowship!

Congratulations! Indiana has a great program!

Did anyone else apply to Michigan? I haven't heard from them yet. Its strange as they called me in January sounding positive and nothing

Although I'm definitely 100% going to Indiana, I still haven't heard back from Pitt's Slavic Lang & Lit program.  At what point do I ask what's up?  I applied, so I'd like a decision even though it's a terrible fit and I'm definitely not going.

I emailed Pittsburgh.  I'm on the waitlist.  For any lurkers who still haven't heard back, email Christine Metil.  They have a new admissions director so (I gather) things are moving differently this year.

• 1 month later...

Just a shout out to Ablukhov--are you coming to Berkeley?

Sorry for the tardy reply- I haven't checked this forum in a really long time- but, yes! I loved the department!