Neuroscience applicants for Fall 2013

mccamel

UCSF Neuro has started sending out invites!

I thought they weren't going to send them out 'til the new year... Can't believe I was freaking out about not getting in anywhere; already got two interviews!

Emory people, do we need to call to confirm that we are interested in going to the interview? Also, does anybody know the exact date (my voicemail said February, but it didn't specify when in February)?

UCSF people, what were the timestamps on your emails (I want to know if they sent out all the emails at once)?

Edited by stmwap

I am so happy that I found this thread. I applied to 13 neuroscience programs, including UPenn and UW. I haven't heard from UPenn yet(disappointing) and have a hope for UW. I am currently working in the one of the lab of Neuroscience dept of UW as a master student from another dept. Although my poi did not ensure me to get into the program or anything yet, I am very good side now.

Congrats for those who got an invitation for the interview. It looks like really lots of ppl have applied to the program what I did to too! Impressed!

@stmwap: When I spoke with Dr. Bassell at Emory he did not ask if I was interested, just told me I'd been selected to interview. He did not give me dates, but said February and that we'd be receiving an email with more details.

Don't know about UCSF because I didn't get an email, but I sure wish I did...

@stmwap, I replied back to both the program director (Dr. Bassell) and coordinator (Gary....can't remember his last name). They asked me to pick one of the interview dates and I told them I will attend Feb 14-16 one.

About WashU, I noticed that one of my recommender submitted his LOR 5 days after the deadline :(, although I have submitted mine well in advance. Well, I will just keep waiting.

For those interested, I did Skype chat with Harvard neuro program director (Dr. Rick Born) last night (morning in EST). I was a bit nervous and have no idea how well I did. Anyway, he specifically said that this process is to sort out the best international applicants. And He said that Harvard will host the full admission committee meeting this week and send out the invite within this week. His hope is all interview invites done by Dec 21, but it can be extended a few days later.

Lastly, congrats on UCSF people..!

I got an invite to UT Austin on Friday via email! Super excited-I am interested in working with at least 5 people there.

I haven't heard anything from Emory :(

They are my first choice so I'm really anxious now as you can imagine. Do you think that is it? Or, maybe more calls going out tomorrow?

@FutureNeuroGrad, I got interview from Emory, but I did not contact any of PI there. Of course, I did mention some names in SOP, who seems fit to my research interest. However, I did contact some of PIs, who I really really want to work with, in other schools. Some say they do not have any vote in the initial stage because everything is handled by the admission committee before interview, but others told me to indicate his or her name so that he can review my application. So I guess there's nothing to lose.

Does anybody have a good source of interviewee acceptance rates? I've looked around but haven't found much-- only this Mainly it says that rates vary widely by school. Seems like the most frequently appearing estimates are 60-70%. Anyone have some school specific inside information?

Okay, thanks! That's good to hear because I was thinking on giving up on Emory. Did you or anyone else who got an interview at Emory contact PI's before applying? What were your experiences with contacting Emory PI's?

I contacted 2 PIs at Emory who were perfect matches for me research-wise and they were very responsive. One I've met with since then, (the day before I got my interview invite) although he'd said that he has no influence over who got an interview.

Has anyone with a UCSF invite received confirmation for their interview time yet? I replied with my preferred weekend right away but they still haven't responded. I know it hasn't even been 24 hrs but UW replied within like 5 minutes and now I'm just being a paranoid weirdo. How am I ever going to survive invite season, lol...

Has anyone with a UCSF invite received confirmation for their interview time yet? I replied with my preferred weekend right away but they still haven't responded. I know it hasn't even been 24 hrs but UW replied within like 5 minutes and now I'm just being a paranoid weirdo. How am I ever going to survive invite season, lol...

I was told by the end of the week things would be sorted out... No confirmation though.