Neuroscience applicants for Fall 2013

mccamel

@HS2013: Congratualtions!  What are your stats?  I am anxiously awaiting an email now, but I'm not too optimistic

Thank you! I did my undergraduate at a public research university and will have 2 years as a postgraduate research technician.

Received word today that Harvard invited ~40 applicants to interview for their program. Any ideas on how big the entering student body usually is? 

I would like to know this as well... did you figure it out?

>Received word today that Harvard invited ~40 applicants to interview for their program. Any ideas on how big the entering student body usually is?

I would like to know this as well... did you figure it out?

After doing some research, their 2007 student body consisted of ~15 students coming in. This would suggest that they would accept at least 20 students imo. 

If MIT is an accurate consideration, their website claims that they accept twice as many students as there are space each year. "We receive over 400 applications per year, and of these, we admit approximately 40 students and enroll between 10 and 20 students."

http://bcs.mit.edu/academics/grad_howtoapplyfaqs.html

If MIT over-accepts that much, than I can imagine that Harvard might hedge their bets a little as well. 

Edited by nibblingsushi

After doing some research, their 2007 student body consisted of ~15 students coming in. This would suggest that they would accept at least 20 students imo. 

I think that is a safe estimate, thanks for the info!

Congrats on Harvard! I am also waiting for it, but haven't heard from it yet.

Anyway, I emailed the program coordinator at Penn Neuroscience (I know her actually since I did my master's degree at Penn bioengineering and took several neurosci courses), and she got back to me as the following:

--------------------------

We have not finished sending out invitations. The committee is now on holiday and will reconvene in early January. JaneWe have not finished sending out invitations. The committee is now on holiday and will reconvene in early January. Jane

--------------------------

So for those who applied Penn and got disappointed for not receiving anything (including me), we still have some hope.

Does anyone hear from Princeton (neuroscience, not psychology)? This is my top choice and they seem to invite people before christmas...

I heard this morning, but I do not know if they were all sent out at once.

for all those waiting to hear from uw...i just saw this post in the recent admission results posted today:

"Emailed asking. All Interviews have been mailed out...this was the rejection letter apocalypse for me today....thought I had a respectable application. Plus 4 years of research and one publication."

:(...guess that one is out, though i have not got a rejection letter.

oh and i saw a similar post for harvard too

Edited by neurogradstudent

In 2009 Harvard accepted around 30 people. About 60% chose to attend. Also, FYI Harvard is no longer sending out invitations for this cycle. I heard that this cycle was exceptionally tough so don't feel bad if you didn't get an invite.

I had a rejection from UIW Madison on Wednesday, then I received an interview invite from Ohio State University today. Woohoo - I've got at least one chance!  :)  I'm guessing I'm out of luck with UCSF, although my status still says "Under Review."  Anybody hear from UCSD, UCLA, UMN, UC Boulder, or Cornell Neuroscience?

Wow! I just found out this post and surprised to see so many neuroscience applicants here!!

Nice to meet you all :)

I am a master's student in South Korea and also did my undergraduate here.

So far I got 7 interviews (Harvard, MIT, JHU, UCSF, UCB, WashU, Emory)

and dying to hear from the last 5 (Stanford, Yale, Columbia, UCSD, UCLA).

Did anyone hear from those 5 yet??

Welcome ak1921.  That's an impressive interview record there!  I don't think anyone's heard from the 5 schools you haven't heard from yet, but judging from the fact that you nailed interviews at MIT and Harvard, I think your chances are high.

Welcome ak1921.  That's an impressive interview record there!  I don't think anyone's heard from the 5 schools you haven't heard from yet, but judging from the fact that you nailed interviews at MIT and Harvard, I think your chances are high.

Thanks :) I actually have no idea what got me into those nice schools and it makes me think that they will send a message someday that all the interview offers were sent by mistake. haha...

@ak1921, when did you hear from mit?

Dec 21. I got a message from the head of admissions committee that I was invited for the interview and the official invitation will be sent soon. Am I the only one heard from MIT?? That's strange..

Edited by ak1921

Dec 21. I got a message from the head of admissions committee that I was invited for the interview and the official invitation will be sent soon. Am I the only one heard from MIT?? That's strange..

Well there are no posts about it in the results or anywhere else on the forum. That's exciting though, I hope the invites go out tomorrow....keeping my fingers crossed!

Well there are no posts about it in the results or anywhere else on the forum. That's exciting though, I hope the invites go out tomorrow....keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks :) Hope so, too. But is the office open tomorrow? Thought that I shouldn't expect to hear anything until next year.

@ak1921 For MIT, was this the BCS or Biology program? Both lead to the Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience track.

I applied to BCS. But mine was systems neuroscience and the interview offer was also in that track.

I applied to BCS. But mine was systems neuroscience and the interview offer was also in that track.

Oh no....I picked Molecular and Cellular Neurscience as my first choice, because I was conflicted and that's what my background is in, but I think I'd be more interested in Systems. Does anyone know if you can move within the program?