Who Wants To Bet On Acceptances/Rejections?

So I've been lurking for awhile (since September probably, nbd), and I just want to say how comforting it is to see other people going through the same thoughts and actions. I mean, of course I wish that this whole process were easy and that stress was just completely out of the question, but because it's not it's nice to see others who are of the same (palpitating and anxious?) heart!

I actually have a therapist, and he said that if I want to compulsively check app pages, then I should do it because it at least offers a few minutes of relief from the anxiety. And he actually has a PhD. 

unfortunately, his PhD is in telling you what you want to hear.

alt: you know what else "offers a few minutes of relief from the anxiety?"  smokin' crack rocks.

Edited by thestage

I've not heard of too many programs doing them, but I did know Emory did and they were the last hurdle you had to scale before getting in.  And, assuming that the post is genuine, they said only 18 students were invited to interview, so I'm assuming they all went out.  It's not a huge deal; Emory was always a Hail Mary pass for me, so I wasn't expecting too much.

I checked the handy link in my signature, and it looks like the others schools that did them last year are Notre Dame, UMass, and Stanford.

UMass did not do interviews for admission, only for TAships. I know, because I was one of 'em. They also announced that you were getting an interview for a TAship before announcing that you were admitted, which was odd, but cool.

I hope it is real for all of the waiting applicants' sake; I'm still wondering about that Buffalo post from back in December. No one ever claimed that right? It just seems so mean-spirited to scare all of us poor, mildly insane waiters.

I hope it is real for all of the waiting applicants' sake; I'm still wondering about that Buffalo post from back in December. No one ever claimed that right? It just seems so mean-spirited to scare all of us poor, mildly insane waiters.

I would be willing to bet that if it's not fake, it's a nomination for some kind of Presidential Fellowship with a very early deadline. So no one stress about Buffalo.

I would be willing to bet that if it's not fake, it's a nomination for some kind of Presidential Fellowship with a very early deadline. So no one stress about Buffalo.

I'm not stressing about them yet; I heard back from them last year very early in February and I was just waitlisted. The post was just really weird because it appeared the day after apps were due; it just seemed so unlikely that anything could have happened yet.

Oh, just one more thing to freak-out about, but have we always been able to view the GRE/GPA/etc of people on the results board who choose to submit them (by hovering over the red diamond)? I didn't realize this until now! 

Edited by asleepawake

Excuse me. It just sounded like you were writing off the effectiveness of therapy because therapists get paid. I wonder if that's true of all paid occupations.

Well, now, in thestage's defense, I think it's totally possible to make astute observations of my mental health and the effectiveness of those whom I address my mental health with based on the information provided through this forum. I also think it's very effective to judge all peoples based solely on one factor. I mean, s/he does have experience. 

That Buffalo post IS either fake, or ill-conceived. It said that the program contacted them on a Sunday, which would not be the case. Buffalo does not do interviews, even for fellowships. It was posted the day after applications were due, and I know for a fact that the admissions committee had not met yet at that point. I am wondering if the person who posted that meant they tried to call the department with a question or something like that...