some questions about CV

hzx4742

The sample for CV in the book "Insiders' guide to graduate programs in clinical and counseling psychology" raised some puzzles in my mind.

First, should I list some irrelevant experience on CV? like university singers in the sample provided by the book,or a family tutor for a middle shool student?

Second, is it necessary to include the "references" part? There are at least 6 people I mentioned in CV, list them all and their information will take up much space.

Third, I participated in a students research trainning program and completed the research project. As the chargeman of  my team I particapated in every step of our research. So how do I describe my duties? Listing all steps of a research seems lengthy.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by hzx4742

How are you mentioning people in your cv? 

As for your other questions: I included all my work experience under " Professional Employment" where I included retail experience and a government internship. I didn't include any high school experiences, just everything I did while in college. 

I'm confused by your concern about vita length. A cv is very different than a resume. There isn't a length maximum. However, I would only list people as references IF they have agreed to be references/ write rec letters.

Edited by Quant_Liz_Lemon

How are you mentioning people in your cv? 

As for your other questions: I included all my work experience under " Professional Employment" where I included retail experience and a government internship. I didn't include any high school experiences, just everything I did while in college. 

I'm confused by your concern about vita length. A cv is very different than a resume. There isn't a length maximum. However, I would only list people as references IF they have agreed to be references/ write rec letters.

Thanks for your reply. There are other 5 authors followed my name in one of my articles. Should I include them all in the "references" part?

Also, although a CV does not have a length maximum, I am worried about listing some experience being considered as irrelevant and hurt the effectiveness of my CV.

-I would not list irrelevant and non academic experiences.

-people you are on articles with are not references (generally speaking), unless they are all advisors

-id also get feedback fro professors and colleagues when youce completed it.

Thanks! I saw your CV. It is so unbelievable. Your 4.0 GPA, your experience, your research skills. I wonder how you can do it!

haha You may have misread it. I have a very low overall GPA at 3.39. I'm actually concerned it might hurt my application packet.

I'd be willing to look yours over/show you mine if you'd like.

Yes! I'd like to show you when I finished it. I just begin to write it since the deadlines of programs I apply are late. I'll appreciate it if you could send me yours.

haha You may have misread it. I have a very low overall GPA at 3.39. I'm actually concerned it might hurt my application packet.

But the major and last two years are far more important than overall. I guess you have a good chance.

Yes! I'd like to show you when I finished it. I just begin to write it since the deadlines of programs I apply are late. I'll appreciate it if you could send me yours.

I'd be happy to take a look at yours as well when you're finished. You can mull over your CV like I did or do it superfast like some of my colleagues. I actually spent a week or so making mine after eliciting feedback from 15+ people (peers and professors). A buddy of mine did his in a day with minimal feedback. I think a happy medium between both of our approaches would work out best.

Just so you can benefit from my experience...I sent out my CV to 15+ people and nearly everyone disagreed on what I should include or take out. In the end, I just synthesized all the good feedback I received. For example, I organized it with honors and awards first according to a professor. I also removed the monetary worth of most scholarships and awards. I cut down the details of certain projects. I will be removing details of my research experience soon and just focus more on publications.

Receiving feedback from a lot of people was a helpful experience, but in the end, you really have to decide what you want to put on there, how you want to put it, and what to leave out.

Best of luck.

I'd be happy to take a look at yours as well when you're finished. You can mull over your CV like I did or do it superfast like some of my colleagues. I actually spent a week or so making mine after eliciting feedback from 15+ people (peers and professors). A buddy of mine did his in a day with minimal feedback. I think a happy medium between both of our approaches would work out best.

Just so you can benefit from my experience...I sent out my CV to 15+ people and nearly everyone disagreed on what I should include or take out. In the end, I just synthesized all the good feedback I received. For example, I organized it with honors and awards first according to a professor. I also removed the monetary worth of most scholarships and awards. I cut down the details of certain projects. I will be removing details of my research experience soon and just focus more on publications.

Receiving feedback from a lot of people was a helpful experience, but in the end, you really have to decide what you want to put on there, how you want to put it, and what to leave out.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your advice. I'm a student in China...Very few students in my university apply schools in America so I can hardly find people to review my CV. I'd like to show you when I finish, and I also plan to get it modified by a professional agency like resumeedge.

If anyone else wants to exchange CVs to review, that would be really helpful. I am not applying until next year but already getting a head start on my CV.

Wonderful idea. I want to echo one of my professors words: You are your CV. It is good to get a head start. The CV really helps identify the weaknesses in your candidate packet and it helps orient your personal resources. Let me know when you want a pair of eyes to review it. I'd be happy to share mine.

http://darwinguevarra.weebly.com/curriculum-vitae.html

This thread has been really helpful.  I had not started my CV yet, but after taking a look at DarwinAG's I began it.  Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that, DarwinAG, I am totally borrowing your format.

My question is:  do I include work awards?  I received an award at work for an essay I wrote (company-wide competition; four states, large company), and this year I received an award (also company-wide recognition) for being an exemplar employee and going above-and-beyond in my job.  Neither of these have to do with psychology per se, but they do show that I am an achiever at work as well as at school.  I work full-time and go to school part-time so I'm not going to have as many academic awards and honors as DarwinAG (though I do have a few!) 

I see that Quant_Liz_Lemon writes that she has a section for Professional Employment.  Should I make a section below that for Professional Awards?

I listed non-academic work very briefly at the end, because I did not want it to get lost that I had supported myself throughout college.  This is of course increasingly common and less of a "wow he still got As while holding down a job," but I something I wanted on the table.  Keep in mind I only spent 4 lines doing it though, with none of these ridiculous descriptions like "waiter -- folded napkins and other preparatory work; served customers in a fast paced environment."

That could work because you have multiple work awards. You could also toss those in with academic honors and awards. My offer still stands to swap/share cvs. Instead of posting the link to my googledoc cv, just pm me for it.

Quant_Liz_Lemon, I will take you up on that!  I'm just working out the first draft of mine now.  I will pm you when I get it to a point where I need a second set of eyes.  And I know it would be very helpful to see yours as well.  Thank you!

This thread has been really helpful.  I had not started my CV yet, but after taking a look at DarwinAG's I began it.  Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that, DarwinAG, I am totally borrowing your format.

My question is:  do I include work awards?  I received an award at work for an essay I wrote (company-wide competition; four states, large company), and this year I received an award (also company-wide recognition) for being an exemplar employee and going above-and-beyond in my job.  Neither of these have to do with psychology per se, but they do show that I am an achiever at work as well as at school.  I work full-time and go to school part-time so I'm not going to have as many academic awards and honors as DarwinAG (though I do have a few!) 

I see that Quant_Liz_Lemon writes that she has a section for Professional Employment.  Should I make a section below that for Professional Awards?

Feel free to send me a copy of your CV as well for feedback.

Since you're in I/O psychology work related awards might be helpful. I would wait feedback from other I/O psychologist, but you generally don't academically unrelated awards on your CV. I removed mine.

Darwin, like everyone else on here, I'm very impressed with your CV. Your continual support of everyone on these forums coupled with all of your research experience makes me wonder if you ever sleep  :) Congratulations on all of your hard work, and best of luck in the upcoming months!

Darwin, like everyone else on here, I'm very impressed with your CV. Your continual support of everyone on these forums coupled with all of your research experience makes me wonder if you ever sleep  :) Congratulations on all of your hard work, and best of luck in the upcoming months!

haha thanks, I think.

I value academic support. I did not have a lot of it early in my career, so I have experienced the stark difference in terms of academic motivation, performance, and success with its (support) presence and absence. I think most academics and would be academics are just inclined to help and support each other and the members in these forums is just an instance of that. I love that collaborative and supportive feel in academia.

I have actually been slacking on the research and academic end. After turning in the second wave of applications, I decided to take a few days off and just do some for funsies reading on self-deception and positive illusions before I jump back into completing a few projects.

Thanks for the kind words. I certainly need all the luck I can get these upcoming months.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful idea. I want to echo one of my professors words: You are your CV. It is good to get a head start. The CV really helps identify the weaknesses in your candidate packet and it helps orient your personal resources. Let me know when you want a pair of eyes to review it. I'd be happy to share mine.

Darwin, I almost CRIED when I read your CV. Like, I am tearing up in frustration at how shitty my CV looks in comparison to yours. How have you TA'd so much as an undergrad? How are you SO AWESOME?

Darwin, I almost CRIED when I read your CV. Like, I am tearing up in frustration at how shitty my CV looks in comparison to yours. How have you TA'd so much as an undergrad? How are you SO AWESOME?

haha I don't think that's the case. I think it's just the packaging of my experiences, but I am sure peope in these forums have as much if not more research and teaching experience than me. If I get into graduate school, I will get rid of all the details in my research and teaching experience.

I really enjoy TAing. Teaching has many beneficial intangibles. For example, I think I understands a lot better because I have taught several aspects of it many times. It really informs my research. But I think establishing really good relationships with the faculty afforded me a lot of oppurtunities to gain teaching experience, not to mention a lot of my peers who are graduate students are willing to let me lecture in their class. If you look carefully...I actually did nothing but TA an entire semester. That's not really anything, but it was something I really enjoyed to take the stress off studying for the GREs.

I'm curious as to why you don't have a research experience section. Given I have an overwhelming number of experiences myself, I was told to pack everything into my CV and then just highlight certain aspects in my SOP, pending the program I was writing for. Although, this has resulted in a 6-page CV and a 2-page SOP.

Here is a link to mine: http://rochester.academia.edu/KaitlynWerner/CurriculumVitae