some questions about CV

hzx4742

I'm curious as to why you don't have a research experience section. Given I have an overwhelming number of experiences myself, I was told to pack everything into my CV and then just highlight certain aspects in my SOP, pending the program I was writing for. Although, this has resulted in a 6-page CV and a 2-page SOP.

Here is a link to mine: http://rochester.academia.edu/KaitlynWerner/CurriculumVitae

He does in his unabridged CV. Here

Edited by Quant_Liz_Lemon

I'm curious as to why you don't have a research experience section. Given I have an overwhelming number of experiences myself, I was told to pack everything into my CV and then just highlight certain aspects in my SOP, pending the program I was writing for. Although, this has resulted in a 6-page CV and a 2-page SOP.

Here is a link to mine: http://rochester.academia.edu/KaitlynWerner/CurriculumVitae

Nice. You're from Rochester. I saw that Deci is one of your references. That's amazing.

I was invited to visit Rochester for an interview, and I am planning on visiting this early February. Perhaps we'll run into each other.

Nice. You're from Rochester. I saw that Deci is one of your references. That's amazing.

I was invited to visit Rochester for an interview, and I am planning on visiting this early February. Perhaps we'll run into each other.

If you don't mind me asking, who did you apply to work with? You can PM me if you don't want to make it public.

Thinking about it now, I wonder what the general consensus is on putting future papers on your CV. I am going to be a co-author on at least 4 papers in the coming year, but I left them out given that the studies are wrapping up or just need to be written up. I know it doesn't make sense to add such papers to a publication section, but would you mention this in your research experience or even your SOP? I left this out in the hopes (and expectation) that my advisor would mention it in his letter and so I wouldn't seem too presumptuous. 

Thinking about it now, I wonder what the general consensus is on putting future papers on your CV. I am going to be a co-author on at least 4 papers in the coming year, but I left them out given that the studies are wrapping up or just need to be written up. I know it doesn't make sense to add such papers to a publication section, but would you mention this in your research experience or even your SOP? I left this out in the hopes (and expectation) that my advisor would mention it in his letter and so I wouldn't seem too presumptuous. 

you should create a "manuscripts in progress" section

I have a section titled manuscripts in prep. I only include projects were the data has already been collected and analysis is in progress.

In my SOP, I included future plans for my research. (I had to fly out to Harvard to pick up some primary source material for my longitudinal study...)

I have a section titled manuscripts in prep. I only include projects were the data has already been collected and analysis is in progress.

I've always wondered what the "rule" is on this. Myself, I only list prep things that I've actually started writing. Or--because I'm applying for jobs, not grad school--projects that I specifically refer to in my research statement.

I've always wondered what the "rule" is on this. Myself, I only list prep things that I've actually started writing. Or--because I'm applying for jobs, not grad school--projects that I specifically refer to in my research statement.

This was my understanding. In my SOP I mentioned each of the projects and how I play a hugely significant role, I just never mentioned the manuscript. Same with my CV, except this was more of the technical stuff where my SOP focused more on how it related to the program in question.

I'm with Lewin on this. I only list things that actually I've started writing as well. I don't think you should list anything that doesn't even have an outline yet.

And I applied to work with Dr. Jeremy Jamieson and Dr. Harry Reis.

Edited by DarwinAG

Don't list anything you haven't started writing. I've heard stories where POIs will ask applicants for their manuscripts in prep, mostly just to see if they are merely ideas or actually in preparation. There's a difference between slightly stretching the truth and outright lying, and if it's not in preparation, then it's lying :-).

OH yeah sorry I agree with everyone that it should only be things you've started writing. Didn't really fully read what you said just saw that you had somethings in the works. Althogh I think you could include projects where the data has been collected/analysized too.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it common to send programs your updated CV? I've added so many things (conferences, 3 new independent projects, new research job, etc.) since I submitted my apps back in December and I think these things would only help strengthen my application. I know most of my programs are either currently or will be reviewing applications soon (by mid-Feb...for some reason most of my programs are slow), if that makes a difference.

Hello All..

So how do I jump on board with "I'll show mine if you show me yours" CV mindset :)

I would love a little feedback as I do not feel like I have been getting it from my apps..lol..

I applied to 10 and have only heard back from 1, though I see that another of my applied to schools has already sent out interview invites, so I think that is pretty certainly out. Oh well...

Hello All..

So how do I jump on board with "I'll show mine if you show me yours" CV mindset :)

I would love a little feedback as I do not feel like I have been getting it from my apps..lol..

I applied to 10 and have only heard back from 1, though I see that another of my applied to schools has already sent out interview invites, so I think that is pretty certainly out. Oh well...

Sure. Send me your CV at DarwinGuevarra@gmail.com. I find that providing feedback is relaxing and rejuvenating. My CV is located in my signature below. I want to say it takes you directly there now. There's a pdf up top for a complete version of it.

Is it common to send programs your updated CV? I've added so many things (conferences, 3 new independent projects, new research job, etc.) since I submitted my apps back in December and I think these things would only help strengthen my application. I know most of my programs are either currently or will be reviewing applications soon (by mid-Feb...for some reason most of my programs are slow), if that makes a difference.

You know...I want to say at this point it would be too late to send your updated CV in order to get an interview. They've already formed an impression of you, and I think it would be difficult to substantially change that impression with a few lines on a CV (Unless somehow it's a 3 publication in press change, but they should have seen the "under review" from the original one). 

Now, printing out an updated CV and handing it to them during an interview is a different story. I highly suggest giving them an updated CV then or sending them a PDF copy during your interviews.