2nd (or more) Time Applicants - What's Your Feeling This Year?

sansao

"Last time" was in 1997. *creak*

I had applied to top anthro PhD programs, and got rejected by all of them.  Chicago accepted me to their MAPSS program with partial funding, so I did it.  I don't regret that decision at all, even if I'm still paying off the loans.  It was the boot to the head that I needed.

I actually used this "last time" story in my SOP, to illustrate how my interests have evolved and matured.

Yes and yes (and I don't think that it is in our best interest)
None of my apps asked that. I don't know if it would have impacted my decision to apply or not. I can't really see how it would be good unless you did something interesting between app seasons.

Well I was sort of hoping that it would be like something collected for statistical purposes. They ask applicants for their race/ethnicity, but that doesn't become a factor in deciding to admit applicants.

*sigh*

I was worried about applying to two of the same schools as I did last year. However, while they are the same school, they are different programs/departments (which the application didn't ask for) mainly because I realized that I was really a poor fit for the original program choices. So when they asked "Have you applied to our school in previous years?" I was like Yes, but I wish I could explain more to show that it's kind of a No. 

Thanks for the honest answers though :D

On the other hand I think I was very naive about the whole graduate admissions process in 2012. I didn't know how strong my application was compared to everybody else's, I didn't know just how competitive the programs I applied to really were. I didn't even know when I could expect to hear back from my chosen schools...

^That was me as well last year. I applied to all really top reach schools with no clue on how competitive it really was to get in.

I was more confident about my applications this simply because I picked programs that were much better suited for me. I guess it also helped that I did some additional research and retook the GRE with much better scores. Just the experience I think and having an extra year to refine what you want/expect will show up especially in the SOP. I guess it worked because I already received a funded offer from one program and did an interview with another.

You know, I suddenly got to wondering this yesterday. Some of my applications asked if this was a first time applying. Did you guys have that on your apps? Do you think that impacts the application?

Some of my applications wanted to know, others didn't ask. I know for certain that one school looks at BOTH your applications when you re-apply and judges you based on the 2. But I think in that instance they're looking for signs that you've done constructive things in the intervening year to improve your chances of admission (e.g, better GRE scores, completed another research project). So it isn't necessarily a bad judgement they're making...

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. That would certainly make sense that they want to see the change within a year. 

Between these two cycles, only three universities overlap. One flat-out rejected me this year. One asked to interview me, and one other is keeping me in limbo. So I'm getting mixed results as to this theory. 

I agree with Teagirl and St. Andrews I was woefully naive about grad schools. I was probably feeding off my super supportive mentors who were like "you got this!" and I didn't fully research my programs for fit as well probably because I was trying to finish my theses at the time (yes, I had two). Yay for becoming less naive!

Anyways, contrary to last February, I'm making out alright, how is everyone else?

Recruitment event this weekend, so that's exciting. In total, 5 programs are talking to me, out of the 7 to which I applied. This is a far different story from last year when I went 0/6, so that alone is enough to keep me hopeful. But also, the tone of conversations has been much more geared at asking about my interests and project preferences. I also haven't got any rejections yet, which kinda surprises me. I will still feel much, much better when/if I have an acceptance. Then I'll be able to relax and decide where to go with something more logical than "whoever takes me."

Last year I was rejected all the way around.  This year, I have two official offers and yesterday found out another school wants an interview.  Amazing what a year can do.  It's so validating.  It's worth it people, if you really want something, keep trying!  Miracles can happen!  Dreams do come true! Hahaha, cheesy, I know.  The first round of rejections suck, but in a way I'm grateful for it.  I made better choices this year in terms of schools and research goals and it's made me appreciate my acceptances that much more.

I posted in this thread earlier in the application season about being a second time applicant. Like some of the other posters, I too am seeing a much better outcome. I got accepted to my top choice. Out of over 500 applicants, they only picked 31 people. It is a great feeling to be amongst the accepted. This is definitely added proof that you can certainly improve your application if you're not admitted the first time around. Good luck to all of you!

This time around I got 2 acceptances and 3 rejections. I'm still waiting to hear from 3 UK universities, who operate on a slightly different timeline. 

Last year it was 5 rejections. 

...I take this as an improvement. 

I applied to four programs at three universities (Stanford, CMU and UT Austin) last year without really knowing much about how competitive these programs really were. The first two rejected me outright and it later turns out that one of my letters was not submitted for UT Austin. It was quite disappointing! I had predicated my career at the time on the basis of going to graduate school in Fall 2012, and my relationship with my girlfriend at the time came to an end on the assumption that I would soon be moving away.

That said, I realise a lot of my application simply didn't fit the bill, so I've spent the time since March 16th (my last rejection) improving every part of my application that I could. I've taken everything as conservatively as possible - e.g. Stanford's FAQ states strong applicants have GREs in the 90th percentile. My previous GRE was 89th percentile, so I retook it and bumped the score up. I didn't have any research experience, so I've engaged in a research project in my spare time.

My essay wasn't good but didn't really address why any university should let me into their program - so I rewrote it, three times! I also sought advice from anyone who had more experience of the process, which at first was a career adviser at university but eventually, other friends who studied in the US.

As for my letters of recommendation, I swapped two of my letter writers and gave them both detailed advice on the style and content that is typically expected.

This year round I've applied to 12 universities, versus the 3 last year. So far it's a mixed bag - I know CS admissions are super competitive though, but after all this work, I'm hoping the outcome is generally positive. Still, I've got one acceptance at least - so it could have been worse! 

Besides going back in time to somehow do better at university, there's absolutely nothing further I could have done to improve my chances - so whatever happens, happens! 

I actually think that when they ask if this is your second time applying it is a good thing.  That is, it shows perserverance and drive.  I've heard that some committee members are 'kinder' to second time applicants... 

But, if you are just applying again without making any significant improvements, they may see you as someone who does not have good insight into their skills/abilities and are unrealistic about academic goals.

Yes and yes (and I don't think that it is in our best interest)

i am a bit skeptical about the application comparison - sounds like a lot of work, especially since many people DO reapply to programs.  i was told by a graduate student that reapplying increases your chances of admission because it shows you are serious about your commitment to the program.

I know this is none of my business but how many of you interviewed and were rejected? I won't have that many interviews (2-3) so I'm a tad nervous. I think I'll interview well but >.< this is me losing my mind

I missed this question last time. I managed to get three interviews last year. One ended in a reject (12 of 20 students were accepted. It hurts to be the last 8 cut D: So close yet so far), another ended in a waitlist. Another ended in an acceptance. After months of deliberation. I had to decline. The school was not a good fit, and I could not see myself happy there, and I really believed it would result in a side-step career wise, not a step-up. This was probably the hardest decision I ever made -- I was driven to tears at least three times through this whole ordeal. And this was with all my mentors urging me, even calling me on my phone to tell me to accept. This year, I seriously researched programs, much more thoroughly than last year. 

Besides going back in time to somehow do better at university, there's absolutely nothing further I could have done to improve my chances - so whatever happens, happens! 

This! I love how you said this! This is a perfect and succinct summary of my feelings regarding my applications now. I'm trying to accept that I should just let things be. ^^;;

i am a bit skeptical about the application comparison - sounds like a lot of work, especially since many people DO reapply to programs.  i was told by a graduate student that reapplying increases your chances of admission because it shows you are serious about your commitment to the program.

Actually, to add a data point to this discussion. One of the programs I re-applied for resulted in a quick rejection (last year, I was interviewed and then rejected). Oddly enough, I'm dealing better with the rejection this time around. More of a shrug off. :D Perhaps all the "increases in chances" in the world could not have helped me in this program. XD Who knows, I bet even some adcomm members don't know. XD