Bad grade in important class, How will it affect me?

Greetings,

I promise that I am not one to blame poor performance in a class on a professor, but in this case I have no choice.

The short of it is that he was just simply terrible (1.4 rating on rate my professors, if you give that weight) and although we had average test scores in the 30's (the section not being taught by him had them in the 80's by contrast) there was no curve.

The class was Real Analysis, and my final grade ended up being a C+.

I know that this class is very important, and so it worries me greatly that I got a C+.

I did, however, receive 4 A's (so I got 4 A's and 1 C+). Do you think Adcoms will look at these grades and think something odd was going on with that class?

Thank you

I think C+ in Real Analysis is bad and it will seriously lower your chances of admission if you applied to PhD programs in statistics/biostatistics.

This is exactly what I was afraid of.

I'm not applying to the top schools though. My targets are in the 30-50+ range (Rutgers, Vtech, Virginia, Michigan State, Connecticut, U of Iowa, UMass, some others)

Two things:

1.  I don't think this is the end of the world.  I did similarly (B-) in some even more essential math classes and have had admissions success at some of the schools you listed.  One course is not going to cause all these schools to reject you, especially given your performance in the others.

2. If you're applying for Fall 2013, have you already submitted your transcripts?  If so, these schools will not even see this grade and there's nothing to worry about.

Best of luck.

Well, that grade isn't optimal, but I don't think it's a killer given the range of places you're applying. This is particularly true if the grade is inconsistent with the rest of your record.

As a general rule, the default assumption about a bad grade is that the student simply didn't perform well in the class; unfortunately, class averages and other contextual information generally aren't reported in admissions reports provided to faculty.

Two things:

1.  I don't think this is the end of the world.  I did similarly (B-) in some even more essential math classes and have had admissions success at some of the schools you listed.  One course is not going to cause all these schools to reject you, especially given your performance in the others.

2. If you're applying for Fall 2013, have you already submitted your transcripts?  If so, these schools will not even see this grade and there's nothing to worry about.

Best of luck.

Fortunately, I did get in A in Linear Algebra (which seems to be super important for admissions), and I have gotten A's in the 4 statistics classes I have taken.

My biggest issue is that I only got a 159Q on my GRE, so I am worried that with the C+ in this class will be a serious detriment to my application.

I did already submit my transcripts. I received my grades in early December, and every program I've applied to has had a deadline of December 31st or later, so they will see my grades.

Well, that grade isn't optimal, but I don't think it's a killer given the range of places you're applying. This is particularly true if the grade is inconsistent with the rest of your record.

As a general rule, the default assumption about a bad grade is that the student simply didn't perform well in the class; unfortunately, class averages and other contextual information generally aren't reported in admissions reports provided to faculty.

Thanks for your input. It is inconsistent both in general, and specific to this semester (as noted before, I had 4 A's and 1 C+ for this semester).

I really wish that schools were more standardized in their teaching of classes. That way, adcoms would have a general idea of how the class was. It's infuriating to have an absolutely terrible professor blow your grade in a super important class, without adcoms knowing. Personally I think that teacher evaluations should be noted next to your grade in a specific class.

I'm wondering the same thing.  How will I fare for top 20 stat phd programs (UWashington, Berkeley, UW Madison) if I got a C+ in math 25 (harvard's real analysis class and eff my professor) but mostly A- and A grades in all my other math/stat classes except for linear algebra, algebraic combinatorics tutorial, and graduate probability (B+ in all three).  I should mention that I got As in the graduate real analysis class and undergrad probability (with the highest grade in the class for the latter) although I got a C+ in undergrad analysis.

And if it helps, I have excellent rec letters and GRE scores are 161-V, 169-Q.  And maybe the fact that I was a math olympiad qualifier who went to Harvard helps...?  Not trying to sound like a douchebag here.

Edited by sidneysamson

I should think that the A in the graduate real analysis class should be a good indicator of your ability. :)

Unfortunately, I got an A in undergrad RA and just got a C+ in graduate RA this last semester. I'm a bit stressed about it since I'm sending in apps for Fall 2013 and there's a C+ sitting there last semester. :( I'm applying for Industrial Engineering with a focus on Operations Research though. Not a statistics degree, but very heavy on applied statistics (and depending on the program, statistical theory). For the first time in many years I experienced test anxiety, and I had a horrible final exam that dropped me all the way to that C+. :( I'm retaking it this semester to fix the grade, though.

I'm wondering the same thing.  How will I fare for top 20 stat phd programs (UWashington, Berkeley, UW Madison) if I got a C+ in math 25 (harvard's real analysis class and eff my professor) but mostly A- and A grades in all my other math/stat classes except for linear algebra, algebraic combinatorics tutorial, and graduate probability (B+ in all three).  I should mention that I got As in the graduate real analysis class and undergrad probability (with the highest grade in the class for the latter) although I got a C+ in undergrad analysis.

And if it helps, I have excellent rec letters and GRE scores are 161-V, 169-Q.  And maybe the fact that I was a math olympiad qualifier who went to Harvard helps...?  Not trying to sound like a douchebag here.

You and I are similar.  I got a B- in 25b (oh god why did I take that class I almost died) and I aced 110 (best professor ever). I also got a couple other B-s and a handfull of B's, so I think you're in better shape than me there.

I was told not to bother applying to the top few (i.e. Stanford/Berkeley), and I got rejected by several top 20s, but I also got into a few.  The advantage of the douchey Harvard name-brand is that you can get in with mediocre grades (and deservedly so, I would say, but that's a debate for another time).  

I don't want to hijack this thread with my life story, but feel free to PM me if there's anything I can help with!