any behavioral/cog neuro people?

Jvcxk

everyone else seems to have their own thread!

I know there's just a few of us but if you wanna post any news or whatever, I thought this could be our place.

I haven't heard anything yet, myself.... keeping my fingers crossed. 

mostly psychology department programs. 

I'm somewhat worried about my science background (or lack there of..), gen. bio I&II, anatomy & physiology I&II, handful of bio/cog psych type of classes. (Opted out of chemistry for a year of physics for some reason)

My interests and most of my knowledge stem from independent work and research positions, but I feel like that's not enough for straight neuroscience programs.

What about you?

What are your research interests?

I (will) have a master in cognitive neuroscience (and BA in psychology), so I have plenty of bio, cog neuro, neuroanatomy and physiology, but that's about it - probably the reason why Emory completely ignored my application :P . I applied to a mix: neuroscience, cognitive science and psychology. Very broadly, I'm interested in social neuroscience (learning and decision making). I have some fMRI, TMS and EEG experience but no pubs :( .

I've heard back from one neuroscience program (my dream program: MUST GET IN!) and informally from a PI in a psychology one. Lost all hope on Emory and on another psy program as it seems that invites have already been sent out.

And even if I get invited, I'm really scared that I'll screw myself during interviews, with English not being my native language and me being very nervous and all that :unsure:

What about you?

And are we really so few?

I applied to mostly Neuro programs with a few Psych sprinkled in!

My coursework is in systems neuro but my research experience has been in cog neuro (TMS/tDCS/fMRI).

Trying to cram in more math/programming classes...

Congrats to everyone with interviews and fingers crossed for the next few weeks!

I (will) have a master in cognitive neuroscience (and BA in psychology), so I have plenty of bio, cog neuro, neuroanatomy and physiology, but that's about it - probably the reason why Emory completely ignored my application :P . I applied to a mix: neuroscience, cognitive science and psychology. Very broadly, I'm interested in social neuroscience (learning and decision making). I have some fMRI, TMS and EEG experience but no pubs :( .

I've heard back from one neuroscience program (my dream program: MUST GET IN!) and informally from a PI in a psychology one. Lost all hope on Emory and on another psy program as it seems that invites have already been sent out.

And even if I get invited, I'm really scared that I'll screw myself during interviews, with English not being my native language and me being very nervous and all that :unsure:

What about you?

And are we really so few?

I hope you get into your dream school! and I wouldn't be too worried about your science background, looks like you at least have some foundation in all the areas you need.

My impression is neuroscience department neuro programs are really popular right now- lotssss of applicants. Neuro programs in the psychology have far fewer applicants, partly because a lot of these programs require a distribution of psych courses that aren't necessarily relevant to neuro/bio psych (I feel like this may put some applicants off because neuroscience is quite the complex subject and they want as much relevant training as possible).

Anyway, I'm quite nervous about the interviews as well. I think they'll give you some leeway with English, as long as you can use scientific terminology correctly. 

I applied to mostly Neuro programs with a few Psych sprinkled in!

My coursework is in systems neuro but my research experience has been in cog neuro (TMS/tDCS/fMRI).

Trying to cram in more math/programming classes...

Congrats to everyone with interviews and fingers crossed for the next few weeks!

Good luck to you too!

Really cool that you've done work with TMS- I really think there's so much to be done with this technique. Are you interested in doing anything else with it?

I am applying to cognitive/neuroscience programs as well. I am currently a master's student studying human discrimination learning within an associative learning paradigm. I do not have any publications yet, but I have three that are in preparation and near completion. I limited myself to 10 schools total, all of which are very good fits. 

I am assuming we will be hearing back from schools within the next few weeks. I'll be sure to send along any updates I receive using this thread. Good luck to everyone!

Oh, yay! So I didn't want to start this thread because I'm not applying but as a student who will be applying soon I would like to know where people are applying, backgrounds of people, where they get in and such which will help me along the way. i intend to apply to cognitive neuroscience along with some behaviroal neuroscience programs if that helps.

I would also like to know the background that people have. so far I plan to have Intro to Bio, Echo, 2 Inorganic Classes + 1 lab, Organic, Cell Bio, Genetics + Genetics Lab, neuroanatomy class and a neuropharmacology class, statistics, calculus along with a healthy amount of psychology classses due to having a Psychlogy B.S. major along with a research experience for 2 years in a neurological disease lab at a medical school.

What are you guy's top choices for programs? Any programs you are interested in specifically, that have drawn your eyes? I hope to hear from positive things from all of you and that you all get in! Keep us updated.

I'm also curious to know what other people have backgrounds in, I'm currently working on a Bsc. honors specialization in psychology, with a minor in linguistics, with several related volunteering commitments. I've been looking for options in the neuroscience streams, and York University seems to look promising so far. I'm looking at Canadian universities though, does anyone have any recommendations on schools with strong neuro programs?

B.A Psychology/Political Science from small liberal arts school

M.A General Psychology Rutgers University 

Research interests: Comparative cognition, associative learning/Pavlovian conditioning.

Applying to Brown, UCLA, Minnesota, CUNY, UNH, Tufts, UT Austin, Texas A&M, TCU, and Duke. 

I'm going to the UT Dallas interview. Pretty nervous.

really??!! me too!!! see you there!!! i noticed from the itinerary that we actually only have 1 day for the interview...when are you arriving??

really??!! me too!!! see you there!!! i noticed from the itinerary that we actually only have 1 day for the interview...when are you arriving??

I'm arriving Thursday afternoon. I haven't recieved an itinerary yet, just a rough outline of events from my POI. She said we're going to meet with all the faculty one on one, so that has me pretty nervous. I'm not really sure what is expected from me in meeting with faculty who may be outside my area of interest.

Edited by grazzle

I'm not really sure what is expected from me in meeting with faculty who may be outside my area of interest.

Hey, I did this at all my interviews. It's really not so bad. I mostly got asked fairly general things. Questions about my past research, why I wanted to work with Professor X, what I was interested in studying, and of course random "what do you like to do for fun" type questions. Basically, after the interviews are over, all the faculty will get together and discuss the interviewees, and see what the general consensus is. It's actually kind of advantageous to you, so if you make a few mistakes in an interview with one faculty member, but rock your other interviews, they're more likely to just attribute it to nervousness since it wasn't an across the board type thing.

I'm arriving Thursday afternoon. I haven't recieved an itinerary yet, just a rough outline of events from my POI. She said we're going to meet with all the faculty one on one, so that has me pretty nervous. I'm not really sure what is expected from me in meeting with faculty who may be outside my area of interest.

I am very nervous too!! I don't even have a specific POI to talk to...I hope we have enough time to talk with all of them in one day...

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything either.

I know at least one of my schools has extended all interview invites but as far as the others, I haven't seen anything show up in the results board.

Haven't emailed any departments to ask yett

Well...

First official rejection from U Mich

Assumed rejection from Yale (no interview)

Possibly ditto for Columbia

These were all kind if reach programs so...not a bi shock.

3 down, 10 to go

Had a phone interview with the U of Utah but haven't heard anything from the other 9 schools I applied to. Anyone heard anything from vandy, UNC, UC boulder, or Wisc Madison?

Haven't hear from UC Boulder yet.

Didn't apply to any of the other programs you listed.