any behavioral/cog neuro people?

Jvcxk

I only applied to 4 schools (OHSU, Stanford, UC Boulder, and UW Madison). I was rejected form OHSU and I'm 99% sure Stanford is out. I saw that a few people heard back about interviews for Cog Psych/neuro at Boulder and one person heard back from Madison. This is so stressful! I'm pretty much trying to solidify my plan B at this point.

I only applied to 4 schools (OHSU, Stanford, UC Boulder, and UW Madison). I was rejected form OHSU and I'm 99% sure Stanford is out. I saw that a few people heard back about interviews for Cog Psych/neuro at Boulder and one person heard back from Madison. This is so stressful! I'm pretty much trying to solidify my plan B at this point.

I see just one result for Boulder under Cognitive Neuroscience, too. My thought is one result may indicate that the PIs aren't contacting people all at once but rather on their own schedules, so there still may be hope!

Just a hunch, no solid information to back this up at all, but it appears as if cog neuro programs are dependent upon the POI themselves, rather than an admissions committee. They appear to be on their own time. Still, I am hopeful we will hear something in the next week or two! Good luck to all!

Just wondering where you are from. I'm in PDX and I've noticed OHSU has a very limited pool they pull from as far as schools go (for acceptance as well as all RA positions). Don't get down, it's a rather weird/frustrating situation over there. Unless you went to Lewis & Clark, then it seems like you are dealt with kindly no matter the situation. Totally anecdotal, but mine and many people I know's experience. :)

Also, i feel it's the general consensus of cognitive neuroscience applicants that we haven't heard anything at all from any schools. It makes me feel a tad better. I'm still anxiously waiting, but I am hoping our departments are simply slower to notify for some odd reason. Good luck to everyone!!

Just a hunch, no solid information to back this up at all, but it appears as if cog neuro programs are dependent upon the POI themselves, rather than an admissions committee. They appear to be on their own time. Still, I am hopeful we will hear something in the next week or two! Good luck to all!

That is what I have been thinking as well. I'm glad more cog neuro people are starting to post.

Question: I had a phone interview with my POI about three weeks ago and was even emailed a paper for a potential project after the call. A week after, I sent a response with technical questions about the project as well as a desire to follow up on the interview. On the phone, the POI had made it seem that I would hear back about information for in- person interviews in just a couple days and here I am three weeks later with no response, just anxiety. Does this seem normal to any of you?

Just wondering where you are from. I'm in PDX and I've noticed OHSU has a very limited pool they pull from as far as schools go (for acceptance as well as all RA positions). Don't get down, it's a rather weird/frustrating situation over there. Unless you went to Lewis & Clark, then it seems like you are dealt with kindly no matter the situation. Totally anecdotal, but mine and many people I know's experience. :)

I went to Hampshire College in western MA. So strange that OHSU would pull from specific schools. C'est la vie.

I feel like I should be contacting my POIs to check on the status. I think I'll wait until mid February though. Anyone contact POIs to check on their status?

That is what I have been thinking as well. I'm glad more cog neuro people are starting to post.

Question: I had a phone interview with my POI about three weeks ago and was even emailed a paper for a potential project after the call. A week after, I sent a response with technical questions about the project as well as a desire to follow up on the interview. On the phone, the POI had made it seem that I would hear back about information for in- person interviews in just a couple days and here I am three weeks later with no response, just anxiety. Does this seem normal to any of you?

I hope this isn't the case for you, but after a skype interview with a POI that I thought went very well, she gave me the dates of the interview weekend, but then I never got an official invitation and ended up getting rejected a few days before the weekend they were holding interviews. These things are so weird and I hate that I was so positive about how the interview worked. I am really sorry if this makes you more anxious; I just couldn't resist responding to a story that seemed so similar to my own.

• 1 month later...

Well, here's my most recent update

Official Rejects:

UVA 

U Mich.

NYU

Yale

UC Boulder

Still Waiting (but its getting late so assuming rejection...)

UIC

Columbia

U Maryland

UT Austin

Boston College 

Semi-Accepted

U. Chicago (applied for PhD, got accepted into the notorious MAPSS with 1/2 funding)

Accepted

U Wisconsin Milwaukee- neuroscience program- Just visited the school and was very impressed (esp since I had my reservations about UW MIilwaukee) but I'm excited and will likely end up here. 

I am (was?) a Psych-Cog Neuro applicant. Haven't heard anything from UCs Berkeley, Santa Barbara, Davis, Irvine, or Riverside. Declined admission by UC San Diego back in January. Anyone know what's going on?

• 3 weeks later...

Acceptances:

American University :)

Rejections:

University of North Carolina: Chapel Hill (reach)

University of Kentucky (poi not accepting)

Still waiting:

USC (Wasn't a great research interest fit anyways)

After interviewing at American and meeting my POI, it has become my first choice due to an amazing research interest fit. Great funding as well!

Has anyone heard back from UT Austin Behavioral Neuroscience? Or know if they had an interview weekend?

I applied and still haven't heard.

I'm fairly certain they interview so at this point, I'd say at best you might be wait-listed.

Looking at past years' results board, Austin seems to be a super-late notifier...but that's judging primarily from non-behavioral neuro programs.

If you're not as lazy/socially awkward as I am, you should give their admissions office a call. (Or email your POIs)

I applied and still haven't heard.

I'm fairly certain they interview so at this point, I'd say at best you might be wait-listed.

Looking at past years' results board, Austin seems to be a super-late notifier...but that's judging primarily from non-behavioral neuro programs.

If you're not as lazy/socially awkward as I am, you should give their admissions office a call. (Or email your POIs)

I emailed my POI at the end of February and they said they were still in deliberations and that no decisions had been made up until that point. 

I noticed too that they are very late notifiers, but I was unsure on whether or not they had an interview week this year. This is my top choice, and I cannot believe it has taken this long to hear back from them, especially since the application deadline was December 1st! Hopefully, we'll hear something within the next few days. If it goes to the end of the week, I'll be sure to remove them from my list of potential schools. There is no way they would allow potential students only one week to make a decision. This sucks.

Anyone hear back from Texas A&M Behavioral and Cellular Neuroscience program? I haven't heard from them either. Wake up, Texas!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...