How many of you have heard something back yet?

Nausicaa

I applied to 7 programs and received an offer from one of my top choices, got contacted by a POI from one of my safeties (which I declined since I hate wasting people's time if I already know I won't go there).

I'm so glad though that I have this one offer, makes the wait not so bad... compared to last year.. shudder.

I applied to 7 programs and received an offer from one of my top choices, got contacted by a POI from one of my safeties (which I declined since I hate wasting people's time if I already know I won't go there).

I'm so glad though that I have this one offer, makes the wait not so bad... compared to last year.. shudder.

Indeed, it does.

It also makes it much easier to quit my current job, knowing that I have plenty in savings to last me seven months, if I ever just get fed up with it.

At two universities (Berkeley and Caltech) the PIs I'm most hoping to work with are making arrangements to fly me out at the beginning of February so that I can see the department and campus in person. They contacted me out of the blue at the beginning of the week and initiated the offer. While Berkeley and Caltech didn't approach me officially, both mentioned that the department(s) to which I'm applying liked my application. My field is Atmospheric Chemistry, which is usually offered through Engineering or Earth Science rather than the Chemistry department.

I haven't heard back from my other three schools (MIT, Harvard, and Cornell), but the program deadline for Cornell is February 1st, so I'm not reading much into that one.

I got an email from one professor informing me that I had applied to the wrong department and therefore they wouldn't be taking me. Looking at the app, I was able to confirm that I had applied to the right department... turns out there was a departmental error, and my app is going back to committee... talk about a whirlwind of emotions. But I'm sure glad they're working with me.

Edited by sansao

I got an email from one professor informing me that I had applied to the wrong department and therefore they wouldn't be taking me. Looking at the app, I was able to confirm that I had applied to the right department... turns out there was a departmental error, and my app is going back to committee... talk about a whirlwind of emotions. But I'm sure glad they're working with me.

Heart attack city!!  :blink:  Glad they have sorted that out!

Today one of my POIs emailed and said they're reviewing my app, but don't have my transcripts. They were requesting unofficials, and I had them sent last month. It makes me wonder if they haven't got any of them yet, or if maybe the grad college is just holding them. Meh... details.

I guess I can post here as well now. I heard back from program with an acceptance today. Getting the first one is such a relief!
Congratulations! I bet you're breathing a lot easier.

Ughh!!! When are Anthro and Sociology programs going to send out decisions?  Looking back in my e-mails at my MA school decisions I saw it took anywhere between a month - two months.  For some of the earliest deadlines it has been close to two months now.  Every day feels like a year!

Ughh!!! When are Anthro and Sociology programs going to send out decisions?  Looking back in my e-mails at my MA school decisions I saw it took anywhere between a month - two months.  For some of the earliest deadlines it has been close to two months now.  Every day feels like a year!

Did you try the search function here on the site to get an idea of when to expect notification?

Congrats to everyone with great news! I am so excited for all of you! I am in a different boat it seems.  I applied to one place. ONE PEOPLE!  It is the only program I want to go to.  Many of my colleagues have attended that program.  But here is the thing....NO BACK UP PLAN!  ACCEPTANCE OR BUST!  God help me!

I guess I can post here as well now. I heard back from program with an acceptance today. Getting the first one is such a relief!

That is so so amazing!  Huge congrats!  UIUC is a fabulous school (I'm hoping to get in myself).  Was the due date for your program Jan 15?

All best,

Karen

Congrats to everyone with great news! I am so excited for all of you! I am in a different boat it seems.  I applied to one place. ONE PEOPLE!  It is the only program I want to go to.  Many of my colleagues have attended that program.  But here is the thing....NO BACK UP PLAN!  ACCEPTANCE OR BUST!  God help me!
Double the "hope you get in" sentiment, then. :) We'll see if any news comes this week. I know a few of my apps are in review (some have been for a week), so I'm hopeful.

That is so so amazing!  Huge congrats!  UIUC is a fabulous school (I'm hoping to get in myself).  Was the due date for your program Jan 15?

All best,

Karen

January 1st. 

I hope you get good news from them! I'm quite excited myself. Even if I don't get into any of my top programs, I know that Illinois has a good program and is a really good fit. I'd be happy there I think.

Double the "hope you get in" sentiment, then. :) We'll see if any news comes this week. I know a few of my apps are in review (some have been for a week), so I'm hopeful.

Thank you for being so encouraging Sansao!  I wanted to start a new topic(but I don't know how as I am new).  If I did, it would be entitled: Good Signs, Omens and Hallucinations - All Are Welcome!  In this new topic we would talk about things that have happened to us and ask fellow hopefuls if they are a good sign, an OMEN OR just a hallucination.  I'll go first:

I received an email last week saying:

Dear XXXXXX,

I am the Admissions Committee assistant for the Ph.D. Program in

English.  The Admissions Committee is now in the process of reading

your application.  I am writing

to let you know that the following elements are currently missing from

your application:

Transcripts from XXXXXXXX and  XXXXXXX,

At your earliest convenience, could you email them or have them

emailed to the Admissions Office at: admissions@gc.cuny.edu?  Please

do not send your materials to this address or to the English program

directly or they will not be uploaded into your file.

At this time, I would like to assure you that it is not too late to

send these materials.   Your application will be read and considered

in its entirety.  However, we appreciate a quick response to our

request to make the process easier for us.

I took it as a good sign.  Not strong enough to be an omen.  It wasn't an hallucination, because it did happen.  However, what if it is just a SOP (standard operating procedure)?  What do you all think?  If I figure out how to start a new topic, I will...

I figured out how to start a new topic!  It is in Waiting It Out!  Please post your comment there...and don't make me wait too long.  Aren't I going through enough already?

Where is this??? Having a moment now that you've mentioned this! haha
Go to the "results" section and search for your school. You can look through previous years to see when acceptances and rejections started rolling out, whether it seemed phased, or if there seemed to be any rhyme or reason at all. Hope that helps. :)

Go to the "results" section and search for your school. You can look through previous years to see when acceptances and rejections started rolling out, whether it seemed phased, or if there seemed to be any rhyme or reason at all. Hope that helps. :)

ahhhh. Darn. I was hoping there was like some magical section of the website I hadn't discovered yet! haha I have found that part and I obsessively check it. Thank you anyways!

Guys, I am curious that has anyone talked to their person of interest after being offered an acceptance by any program that they applied to?

I don't see how it could do any harm - you're on the inside now, as it were. 

From what I've heard, on visiting weekends for some Chemistry programs they schedule you to meet with faculty you expressed an interest in on your SoP. I reckon you could just send a short email saying that you've been accepted to the program, are interested in working for them, and look forward to meeting them at Visiting Weekend/start-of-term (attach CV for reference).