Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Programs Fall 2013 - let the wait begin!

Has anyone else heard anything from Northwestern? But so far, here's my count:

Northwestern (Rhetoric and Public Culture):

U of MN- Twin Cities: ACCEPTED

U of Ohio- Athens:

U of Michigan- Ann Arbor: REJECTED

U of Iowa:

U of Indiana- Bloomington: REJECTED

UC-Berkeley (super long shot):

UW-Milwaukee:

UW-Madison:

Has anyone else heard anything from Northwestern? But so far, here's my count:

Northwestern (Rhetoric and Public Culture):

U of MN- Twin Cities: ACCEPTED

U of Ohio- Athens:

U of Michigan- Ann Arbor: REJECTED

U of Iowa:

U of Indiana- Bloomington: REJECTED

UC-Berkeley (super long shot):

UW-Milwaukee:

UW-Madison:

Hey annaf117,

I heard from Northwestern's RPC on Jan. 20th informing me that I'd been selected as 1 of the 8 students that made the admission shortlist. Dr. Jan Radway, Director of Rhetoric and Public Culture, has contacted all of the eight students to be invited to Northwestern University at the end of this month for an all-expense paid visit from Feb. 28 to March 3, 2013. In fact, she has been in more frequent contact with us as we approach the campus visit.

This is not to say that they have extended all invitations because there is no way for me to know that. However, given our email exchanges, I believe they have decided on the top 8 (also, the amount of slots that have for admissions) out of the 90 applications they received. 

I hope this is helpful for you and good luck with the schools you are still waiting to hear from! 

I'm in the same boat as you. Cornell was my 2nd rejection & I only have 2 more to go :( sigh.

finally found my rejection letter from Cornell yesterday...how about MSU..did you hear anything from them??

finally found my rejection letter from Cornell yesterday...how about MSU..did you hear anything from them??

Sorry to hear :( I contacted MSU last week and they said they'd be making decisions at the end of the month so it looks like it'll be a little while yet. Did you apply there, too?

Hey annaf117,

I heard from Northwestern's RPC on Jan. 20th informing me that I'd been selected as 1 of the 8 students that made the admission shortlist. Dr. Jan Radway, Director of Rhetoric and Public Culture, has contacted all of the eight students to be invited to Northwestern University at the end of this month for an all-expense paid visit from Feb. 28 to March 3, 2013. In fact, she has been in more frequent contact with us as we approach the campus visit.

This is not to say that they have extended all invitations because there is no way for me to know that. However, given our email exchanges, I believe they have decided on the top 8 (also, the amount of slots that have for admissions) out of the 90 applications they received. 

I hope this is helpful for you and good luck with the schools you are still waiting to hear from! 

Hi Tazo11,

Thank you for this info! I recall reading that a couple of people on here were contacted by Radway. I guess that the silver lining is that it makes my decision easier:) Best of luck to you!

I got the call yesterday from Oklahoma.  The department has accepted me and is set to offer me an assistantship pending the graduate schools approval.  They also invited me to their recruitment weekend in a couple weeks.  I'm just happy to finally have an acceptance even if it is still slightly unofficial.

Which program are you waiting to hear from at MSU

Sorry to hear :( I contacted MSU last week and they said they'd be making decisions at the end of the month so it looks like it'll be a little while yet. Did you apply there, too?

program: comm phd...how about you guys?

will they do interviews? 

program: comm phd...how about you guys?

will they do interviews? 

I applied to the Media and Information Studies program, it is the last program I'm waiting to hear from.

Did you contact the media and information studies program or the Comm program?

I got the call yesterday from Oklahoma.  The department has accepted me and is set to offer me an assistantship pending the graduate schools approval.  They also invited me to their recruitment weekend in a couple weeks.  I'm just happy to finally have an acceptance even if it is still slightly unofficial.

Congratulations Sconnie! I'm so happy for you! Getting a call is definitely more personal than an e-amil.

What kind of program is it? I haven't heard of Okalahoma Communication program.

Congratulations Sconnie! I'm so happy for you! Getting a call is definitely more personal than an e-amil.

What kind of program is it? I haven't heard of Okalahoma Communication program.

They have 4 areas of focus in their comm department but the one I applied to was Mass Media/Political communication.  They have the largest archive in the country of political advertising.  From what information I gathered from my Masters advisor, they fund their assistants very well and they make sure that there is plenty of grant money available to attend conferences.  All around it sounds like a good place for me.  I am going to their recruitment weekend in 3 weeks, which is also the same weekend of a research conference their department puts on so I should get a good idea of the fit.

I applied to the Media and Information Studies program, it is the last program I'm waiting to hear from.

Did you contact the media and information studies program or the Comm program?

oh, to the best of my knowledge, i know someone was accepted last month...i learned it from a Chinese version of gradcafe...the POI contacted him/her and notified the acceptance after an interview...maybe they are still reviewing applications....best of luck!

How's the wait going? I'm waiting to hear back from four schools...and also waiting to hear back from the dream school (AU) after my interview. I think I'm going a little crazy with all the refreshing though.

Anyone heard anything from Maryland/Columbia?

How's the wait going? I'm waiting to hear back from four schools...and also waiting to hear back from the dream school (AU) after my interview. I think I'm going a little crazy with all the refreshing though.

Anyone heard anything from Maryland/Columbia?

the latest update on the jschool website is that applications will be posted mid-march. do u know if they do interviews? i heard nothing.

the latest update on the jschool website is that applications will be posted mid-march. do u know if they do interviews? i heard nothing.

I don't think they do interviews... The wait is stressing me.

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for weeks, but now that I used the results search properly and saw some people waitlisted for a program I'm waiting to hear from, I thought I'd get brave.

I'm interested in asking those waitlisted at the University of Pittsburgh, to which of the concentrations did you apply?

I'm only hoping that because this is a social science comm. thread, there's still a chance for media studies spots.  But it certainly helps to see people going through the same thing, and to give me a general idea on how quickly departments are responding.  I'm actually in a social sciences comm. master's program, but I studied film undergrad and want to return to media studies/qualitative work.

I've only had one response from a program so far, and it was a rejection.  It was one of my long shot schools, but it's still got me pretty pessimistic about the other 5 I haven't heard from.  I'm slowly trying to get used to the idea that I might have to do another round of apps, but it's just not the happiest thought.  I realized I wanted to be a professor 4 years ago, so it's hard to imagine not having a clear path towards that goal.

Sorry for the vent amidst everyone posting results, but I guess the stress of this has gotten to me.  Anyone with an info on Pitt, let me know! :)

Wait-listed at NYU! Is it kosher to ask them where I am on the list (or if there is one?)

Perfectly okay to ask them, I think. Although at my school, for example, they don't really do ranked wait lists but have a replacement for every student they admit... But call them and ask nicely (in this case I think calling is better because it adds a personal note to it and you can also reassure them that you're interested)

Perfectly okay to ask them, I think. Although at my school, for example, they don't really do ranked wait lists but have a replacement for every student they admit... But call them and ask nicely (in this case I think calling is better because it adds a personal note to it and you can also reassure them that you're interested)

Done! I just want to know where I stand with them so I know how seriously to actually take being waitlisted. If there are twenty people on it, and I am 19, then no need to pay it any thought, I say~ 

I'm not on this thread much because I only applied to one Communication program, UMass Amherst. It looks like someone got an acceptance lately. Was it someone on here (basically I'm just probing for information ;))? Anyone else applying to UMass?

Congrats to the UMass acceptance and anyone else who has gotten good news!

I'm not on this thread much because I only applied to one Communication program, UMass Amherst. It looks like someone got an acceptance lately. Was it someone on here (basically I'm just probing for information ;))? Anyone else applying to UMass?

Congrats to the UMass acceptance and anyone else who has gotten good news!

Hey Pericles II.ii. 48,

I am the one who posted the UMass acceptance. Got an email from Dr. Carbaugh this morning informing me of the funding package being offered to me. 18k for four years. 

FYI (my count):

Northwestern (Finalist, invited to an all-expense paid visit at end of the month)

University of Washington (Accepted with full funding)

University of Denver (Accepted with full funding)

University of Massachusetts-Amherst (Accepted with full funding)

Washington State Univ. (Unofficial acceptance)

University of North Carolina-CH (Rejected)

University of Penn (Rejected)

Best of luck to you all!