Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Programs Fall 2013 - let the wait begin!

I am currently here at NU for the Rhetoric and Public Culture Program. There are 8 of us visiting. Just finished meeting with the graduate committee--we each had individual meetings with the faculty. I am told that we are the top 8 out of the 90 apps in the RPC program and those admitted will be pulled from the top 8 that are visiting now. We are hear until Sunday. 

Also, all of the other programs in the School of Communication are also here on the recruitment/interview weekend. This includes Performance Studies, Screen Cultures, and Communication Sciences, etc. My guess is that the students who are admitted will be chosen from those visiting. 

You are right: they have not sent out official rejections nor acceptances--at least not yet. 

Good luck all! 

Good luck CHagen! As someone with a short target list I can sympathize but if it's the right fit you will get it!

I heard from USC Annenberg today saying their first round had gone out but I'm pre-approved if a slot opens up.  I only applied to their program, so fingers crossed.  While not always true, I believe last year all of the "second round" pre-approved candidates eventually were admitted to the program.

I heard from USC Annenberg today saying their first round had gone out but I'm pre-approved if a slot opens up.  I only applied to their program, so fingers crossed.  While not always true, I believe last year all of the "second round" pre-approved candidates eventually were admitted to the program.

That's great! Good luck! Unfortunately I haven't received any email from USC, which coincidentally would be my top choice.  :unsure:

I got the same email. I most likely will be taking my name out for consideration. Was kind of surprised by the typos. Good luck to all. 

Has anyone received acceptance from UNC-Chapel Hill. I've seen that a couple were rejected. I haven't heard anything and it's KILLING me. I pretty much threw all of my eggs into one basket because this is the only mass comm program I applied to. The other was a higher ed program at UNC-Greensboro. As you can tell, I'm trying to stay local.

I am crossing my fingers for you! Did they mention if all of their acceptances were through e-mail or postal?

That's great! Good luck! Unfortunately I haven't received any email from USC, which coincidentally would be my top choice.  :unsure:

I'm sorry Pietrosan! I'm also disappointed that after waiting to hear from them it seems like bad news. 

Has anyone received acceptance from UNC-Chapel Hill. I've seen that a couple were rejected. I haven't heard anything and it's KILLING me. I pretty much threw all of my eggs into one basket because this is the only mass comm program I applied to. The other was a higher ed program at UNC-Greensboro. As you can tell, I'm trying to stay local.

I was rejected from UNC-Chapel Hill but it was the Communication Studies program which is different than Mass Comm.

I am currently here at NU for the Rhetoric and Public Culture Program. There are 8 of us visiting. Just finished meeting with the graduate committee--we each had individual meetings with the faculty. I am told that we are the top 8 out of the 90 apps in the RPC program and those admitted will be pulled from the top 8 that are visiting now. We are hear until Sunday. 

Also, all of the other programs in the School of Communication are also here on the recruitment/interview weekend. This includes Performance Studies, Screen Cultures, and Communication Sciences, etc. My guess is that the students who are admitted will be chosen from those visiting. 

You are right: they have not sent out official rejections nor acceptances--at least not yet. 

Good luck all! 

Tazo11,

Keep us updated. Although I'm expecting a rejection, I'd like to know how the weekend goes!

I was accepted into the Rhetoric and Public Culture program at Northwestern!!! They made only 5 offers this year. So excited! Will most likely attend in the fall! 

Good luck everyone! 

Wooohooo! Congrats! Have some sparkling stuff and be proud of yourself. For real.

I was accepted into the Rhetoric and Public Culture program at Northwestern!!! They made only 5 offers this year. So excited! Will most likely attend in the fall! 

Good luck everyone! 

Ugh, I'm so jealous!! Lol. Congrats to you, Tazo11, and yes, you should be very proud of yourself! Have fun!

Good luck everyone! 

Congratulations Tazo11 :-) Very happy for you!

By the way! If you've applied to Maryland and haven't heard a response - email the coordinator and you may hear some news!

Just Columbia to hear from now (expecting a rejection)...how about you all?

Edited by agej

I just heard from NYU Steinhardt - REJECTION - Only hope left is Maryland.  I'm assuming this one is a rejection as well at this point.  Well guess I have to regroup and give it another shot next year :)

Accepted my offer to attend Northwestern University in the School of Communication. Will study in the Rhetoric and Public Culture program. Glad I will never have to apply to Ph.D. programs again in my life. This is such a brutal and draining process. 

Nonetheless, I wish all of you well in your future endeavors. I hope you all were accepted to the schools of your choice, and more importantly, that you will have options. 

Good luck! 

Still waiting on UNC-Chapel Hill Mass Comm Ph.D. decision... Anyone else?  I am 0 for 4 this year with this being my last application pending so it's UNC (with funding) or bust!

Thanks-

I only applied to The University of Oklahoma and have been accepted.  I'm on a waiting list for an assistantship, though, so I'm a bit concerned about funding.

• 2 weeks later...