2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

I spoke too soon about DePaul, haha. It was sent to my permanent address.

Still nothing from Loyola, however!

I saw that someone emailed Loyola and found out that they were rejected.  I emailed Dr. Wike, and I received this response:

"Mr. PhilosophyHopeful2013,

We are in the process of making first offers now....as well as recording refusals.  In some cases, it may be weeks before a decision is noted...as we wait to hear back from our first offers.  If they refuse, then we will extend offers to others."

I guess that's somewhat positive that I wasn't rejected immediately?  Who knows...

Sounds like Loyola has an informal waitlist.  Good luck!

Loyola is sending out waitlist emails for anyone who wants to know.

"Dear Mr. Philosophy Hopeful,

I am writing to let you know that you have been added to a wait list for admission to the PhD program in philosophy at Loyola University Chicago.  We received a large number of applications this year and can only admit a handful of students. 

That said, you are near the top of the wait list and based on past experience there is a good chance that we may eventually be able to accept you into the program. Once we hear what decisions the admitted students make, we will know if we can admit any of those from the wait list.  Thank you for your interest in our program."

Congrats, Philosophy Hopeful!

My email said that there were lots of people ahead of me so I probably wouldn't get an offer.  I guess I can hope a lot of people also get admitted into places they would prefer...

My email said that there were lots of people ahead of me so I probably wouldn't get an offer.  I guess I can hope a lot of people also get admitted into places they would prefer...

Thanks.  This might not make you feel any better, but if I am lucky enough to receive an acceptance (I have 1 other acceptance), there's a chance that I'd decline it, which might help your chances.  If that comes to be, I'll certainly make a decision ASAP so someone like you has a better shot. 

Edited by PhilosophyHopeful2013

Thanks.  This might not make you feel any better, but if I am lucky enough to receive an acceptance (I have 1 other acceptance), there's a chance that I'd decline it, which might help your chances.  If that comes to be, I'll certainly make a decision ASAP so someone like you has a better shot. 

where is your other acceptance from, if you don't mind?

Can anyone claim one of the 5 (five) initial offers from Colorado Boulder? Cheers.

I received an offer on Feb 13th.  No info was included about # admitted or the waitlist.  It's possible that I was initially on the waitlist but got off early as there were some admits before me.  But I can't be sure.  I post primarily on whogotin.

I received an offer on Feb 13th.  No info was included about # admitted or the waitlist.  It's possible that I was initially on the waitlist but got off early as there were some admits before me.  But I can't be sure.  I post primarily on whogotin.

Okay thanks. I'm currently 3rd out of 26 on the waitlist.

Good luck, all the same.  At least their honesty is somewhat refreshing.

There's a decent chance I'd do the MA. In my case, I'd do the MA at Brandeis over a place like BU. BU is a good program, but Brandeis places at a higher level. 

MA programs can be tricky. My undergraduate institution has a Leiter-mentioned MA program, and the placement record of the MA students is decidedly mixed. Some don't get in at all. 

Now, I really, really like the program at UCSB. Even though they rank at 40, I'd probably go to UCSB. I have near identical interests with the faculty, and the funding seems nice. 

Honestly, right now all I'm thinking about is getting even one acceptance. I'd probably kill for one (ethics be damned!).

SWIM is in this situation. He was accepted to a strong MA with a very good placement record (all his top picks are represented). He was also accepted to a lower-ranked PhD program, albeit a good fit for his interests. I can see the dilemma. Good placement record doesn't guarantee anything, but at the same time it's a total trajectory changer!

I'm sure you'll do great before the season is over! Good luck!

To all those waiting to hear from Loyola Chicago, I received an acceptance email on Tuesday morning and another email today, with this note on the bottom, "(I apologize if this is a second notification.  Some earlier emails seem to have been held up)." I don't know if this issue has been fully corrected, but apparently it affected at least some accepted students.

Did anyone reading this forum apply to the Committee on Social Thought at Chicago, either instead of, or in addition to the philosophy department? A lot of their faculty is based in philosophy (political philosophy/theory and history, which I guess is pretty obvious) and it looks as though a lot of the theses that come out of there are pretty straight-philosophy too.
Curious to hear anyone's thoughts/opinions/news -- I'm currently wait listed there and very anxious for news!

Did anyone reading this forum apply to the Committee on Social Thought at Chicago, either instead of, or in addition to the philosophy department? A lot of their faculty is based in philosophy (political philosophy/theory and history, which I guess is pretty obvious) and it looks as though a lot of the theses that come out of there are pretty straight-philosophy too.
Curious to hear anyone's thoughts/opinions/news -- I'm currently wait listed there and very anxious for news!

I was rejected by the committee on social thought for the reason that I am "better served by a traditional philosophy program". They prefer people who in their opinion benefit more from the interdisciplinary approach than from a traditional philosophical approach, even if their work is still within philosophy.

That said, it is a great program, also for philosophers in my opinion! You can apply to do a joint-degree in Social Thought and Philosophy once you've started your graduate work in Social Thought. And I think all the philosophy classes are open to you anyway. In short: this program is way better than many "traditional" philosophy programs!

I was rejected by the committee on social thought for the reason that I am "better served by a traditional philosophy program". They prefer people who in their opinion benefit more from the interdisciplinary approach than from a traditional philosophical approach, even if their work is still within philosophy.

That said, it is a great program, also for philosophers in my opinion! You can apply to do a joint-degree in Social Thought and Philosophy once you've started your graduate work in Social Thought. And I think all the philosophy classes are open to you anyway. In short: this program is way better than many "traditional" philosophy programs!

That's very interesting to hear. I guess too late at this point to have any effect, but interesting nonetheless. Definitely hoping someone declines, though I was told that they haven't used their wait list in something like 5 (seriously?!) years.

That's very interesting to hear. I guess too late at this point to have any effect, but interesting nonetheless. Definitely hoping someone declines, though I was told that they haven't used their wait list in something like 5 (seriously?!) years.

Wow!! Well, they only admit 5 people, I think, no surprise that the rate of declining is low. But still, I wish you good luck!

To all those waiting to hear from Loyola Chicago, I received an acceptance email on Tuesday morning and another email today, with this note on the bottom, "(I apologize if this is a second notification.  Some earlier emails seem to have been held up)." I don't know if this issue has been fully corrected, but apparently it affected at least some accepted students.

Philosophy99...I am somewhat envious of your acceptance list.  Would you mind sharing your stats?

Philosophy99...I am somewhat envious of your acceptance list.  Would you mind sharing your stats?

Sure, no problem.

Well, my GPA is not that great, 3.64, although this is because of personal issues on my first two years. After that I got 4.0 for three years straight. My GRE scores are: 164 verbal, 150 quantitative, and 5.0 writing. I have three publications at undergrad journals like Johns Hopkins, Texas at Austin, and Indiana University, and another publication at St. Thomas University that was ultimately canceled because of staff issues. I have been to four conferences in total, twice presenting papers, one time commenting, and one time as a judge for a bioethics bowl (an additional conference was canceled). I don't think this matters too much but I also have separate degrees on history and political science. My writing sample was a shorter version of my honors thesis. I did get to read one of my letters of recommendation and it was very generous, although it was from a history professor, and I think my thesis advisor wrote another very strong letter.

My AOI is on Hegel, Marx, critical theory, and political philosophy in the continental tradition.

Info for those interested in UVA:

"Dear Mr. PhilosophyHopeful2013, 

This message is to let you know the current state of your application to our Ph.D. program. Our department moved the application deadline to January 15 this year so there would not be a conflict between that deadline and an applicant’s end of semester responsibilities, and as a result we have adopted a new time line for notifications. Our initial set of offers has been sent out and we are currently working on setting up a waiting list. Those who are on the waiting list are being notified according to a staggered schedule, but we hope to have completed the process by the end of February or, at the latest, early March. We have had a significant increase in applications over last year and want to give every applicant his or her proper consideration. If you have not heard from us by March 3, please do feel free to contact me about your status.

Sincerely,

Paul Humphreys

Director of Graduate Admissions

Department of Philosophy,

University of Virginia"

This is belated, but I thought it would be useful info for anyone that ends up having to apply again next year (or in two years after an MA).  One thing that really hurt me with DePaul was my weakness in languages.  They generally don't take Master's graduates unless they have French and German, along with Greek or Latin if relevant.  I have a decent background in Greek and have been teaching myself Latin, but I have not begun on German yet (and French is a long way off).  If you want to apply to DePaul as a Master's graduate, be prepared in terms of your languages.