2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

It really depends on the school and even changes year to year for each school, but it's not out of the question for a program to draw from the larger unofficial waitlist after they've gone through the shorter official one.  Sure, the probability of rejection is greater than the probability of acceptance, but there's no certainty of rejection at this point when they leave it open like that.  With a waitlist of about 7 people, I could see them going through the whole thing if a number of people are accepting offers at other schools.  So much of it is luck.

About the Vanderbilt stuff:

the issue seems to be that nobody that has applied has received an official rejection; which would imply that this 'larger unofficial waitlist' would include the entire applicant pool. it seems that everybody that has posted on grad cafe (save one person, as far as I can tell) got the same assurance that 'they had not been rejected.' i am wondering whether it could be that they don't intend on going any deeper than the 7 person wait list; and whether this comment is more about making people wait for their official notices of rejection.

Edited by anon530

About the Vanderbilt stuff:

the issue seems to be that nobody that has applied has received an official rejection; which would imply that this 'larger unofficial waitlist' would include the entire applicant pool. it seems that everybody that has posted on grad cafe (save one person, as far as I can tell) got the same assurance that 'they had not been rejected.' i am wondering whether it could be that they don't intend on going any deeper than the 7 person wait list; and whether this comment is more about making people wait for their official notices of rejection.

Could be, as I don't put it past admissions committees to do something obnoxious like that, in the name of university bureaucracy (and inconsiderate of applicants' mental health).  I just know Duquesne does this same thing, and there's a possibility with them that people get accepted from the larger applicant pool.  Obviously not everyone in the larger pool is a real contender for a spot, but they don't find out until the others.  DePaul uses the larger applicant pool too, but maybe they notify some people of their rejection in a timely manner (There is one unclaimed rejection notice on the results page right now).

It's frustrating, but it seems like way too many programs are not very quick to inform applicants of their rejection, even though all it would take is an automated email...

Hey coffeekid, just curious if you heard back from chicago phil w/ a rejection, since it's not marked "implicit" in your signature...

I am not coffeekid, but can give an update about the UChicago situation. After having had contact with a faculty member, I know that 12 out of about 275 applicants got accepted, no waiting list. I for myself am rejected (according to the faculty member, I expect the email only in March). And so is anyone who hasn't gotten an acceptance from UChicago yet. I had made it up to the very last cut though, that's some consolation.

I am not coffeekid, but can give an update about the UChicago situation. After having had contact with a faculty member, I know that 12 out of about 275 applicants got accepted, no waiting list. I for myself am rejected (according to the faculty member, I expect the email only in March). And so is anyone who hasn't gotten an acceptance from UChicago yet. I had made it up to the very last cut though, that's some consolation.

This was what I gathered about uChicago philosophy as well. I'll admit that I may tend to jump to the worst conclusions regarding admissions somewhat quickly, and I understand that there are always crazy outside chances of everyone who was accepted and all the people on the wait list dying in a bus crash together (I don't know, maybe they're all friends and get together to make fun of me or something), and me getting accepted, but I'm taking an attitude of not holding out for anything like that (or even less dramatic).

So uChicago does look pretty definitive on rejections, considering there is no wait list (see their website). Vandy is slightly more gray, but still not worth the mental energy of holding out for.

Stay emotionally healthy, my friends!

Unclear that's the case—I think it may just mean that the application is under review. If you click the "Enter" link below that, you'll be taken to a page that has a "Status Description", which is supposed to be where the latest updated status will be. Mine says that the application has been received and will be reviewed.

Check now; I just found out about my rejection via the website.

thanks for the info! although i guess this was already pretty clear, it's good to have it confirmed

Update on Oregon, in case anyone hasn't seen this on the results page: There were 144 applications, 6 offers, and 9 waitlistees. The latter 17 have all been notified (I myself am one of the waitlistees).

sorry, where do you get 17?

if you don't mind me asking, what is your AOI? have you applied anywhere else?

My AOIs are in aesthetics, environmental philosophy, continental thought and philosophy of literature. 

I applied to Temple, Villanova, DePaul (didn't hear back anything, so I'm assuming rejection?), McGill, Fordham, Oregon (same situation as DePaul), Memphis, Alberta, Buffalo, Michigan State (got wait listed... hoping to get off the wait list! I really like their program), New School, Georgia State and Tufts. 

What about you, anon530?

Like everyone else, I was waitlisted for MSU. Any of you other MSU waitlists have any idea of how many they admitted? Or our shot of making it off the waitlist?

I haven't come across any admits. Are you out there? I didn't get many details on the waitlist either. FWIW, my letter states that I am "near the top" of the list. Whatever that means. 

Woke up to a Georgia State admission email. That was pleasant.

My primary areas of interest are ethics and Kant. In my WS I tried to overturn a popular interpretation of Kant's "contradiction in the will" put forth by Fred Feldman and Allen Wood (and promoted in basically every "intro to ethics" text that reaches the CW test).

My GPA was around 3.65 from UCLA.
GRE was 164 V, 150 Q, (I got these backwards on the survey, sorry stat bros) and I skipped the AW section.

Coffeekid, may I ask why you put an implied rejection from Yale? Have you heard anything?

To be clear, I've applied to Yale Religion, for "philosophy of religion." I've heard a number of people get acceptances in their religion department, and I haven't heard anything yet.

Sorry for the scares here. I promise I'm not trying to mess with anyone. Maybe I need to tone down my negative attitude on the forum/signature.

if you don't mind, where did you come by this information?

The will to believe.

Kidding. Here you go: 

http://philosophy.uoregon.edu/graduate/faq/

I misread the dates originally, though. They're in reference to the 2009-2010 season. 

Edited by LawrencevonBuskirk

I didn't receive a rejection e-mail from Oregon...yet. Maybe I got Vanderbilt'd?

hahahaha, awesome. i think that should become standard terminology for posting on TGC. Other - Vanderbilt'd.

Edited by anon530

Sending transcripts: $30

Application fee: $75

GRE study books: $120

GRE registration fees (x2): $350

One solitary word, 'Denied', on the web site, with no email or generic note: Priceless.

There are some things money (and grad students) can't buy. For everything else, there's mastercard.

I didn't receive a rejection e-mail from Oregon...yet. Maybe I got Vanderbilt'd?

I'm in the same boat. I called there. The person on the phone said that if it still says "pending" and you haven't received any notification, then they're still making a decision. 

On the application, I clicked the button that said please be considered for MA if not for PhD... so maybe that's why I've had no response? Who knowwwwwwwwws. 

I'm in the same boat. I called there. The person on the phone said that if it still says "pending" and you haven't received any notification, then they're still making a decision. 

On the application, I clicked the button that said please be considered for MA if not for PhD... so maybe that's why I've had no response? Who knowwwwwwwwws. 

I also clicked that button. Perhaps that is the case.