2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

I was very surprised to see that two offers from Connecticut have already been reported on the results page. Could anyone claim either of those?

I am not one of those first two, but I will claim an acceptance. Surprising, since I just submitted my application like a week ago? I almost didn't even apply but decided to at the last minute because of departmental "fit" and the fact that they were accepting unofficial transcripts. Serendipitous.

Don't give up yet! There are plenty of schools on your list which have yet to send out acceptances -- most of them, in fact. And my top pick schools (and the schools at which I've been in contact with a member of the faculty) won't be giving out acceptances til late Feb/early March.

Hang in there bud! 

For sure. I just wish they would get on with it already. All I do now is obsessively check my applications and the results page in between working on my thesis--it's not healthy!

The first DePaul acceptance and the first waitlist have been posted (and one of my best friends is actually on the short list, so I'm very excited for him!).  I was wondering though how exactly that will work, if anyone has any knowledge of their process.  Are they first going through the candidates they just interviewed, and then they'll see what spots are still open after that?  I wasn't interviewed, but I haven't been rejected or waitlisted yet either.  Maybe they have an "informal waitlist for the waitlist" for all the other non-interviewed candidates.  As a Duquesne graduate, I can tell you that they do that!  On the other hand, the rejection letter could be in the mail right now lol.

I'm one of the other interviews on the results page; I was put on the short list as well.

I wouldn't give up hope--from what I understand based on my experience last time around (I'm doing my masters at Duquesne right now, so I applied in 2011), there is a longer waitlist that is TBD. I was waitlisted back in 2011, and wasn't a part of the interviewed crowd. From what I've heard, it's pretty common for them to move through the short list and dip into the extended list, so good luck! :)

I am not one of those first two, but I will claim an acceptance. Surprising, since I just submitted my application like a week ago? I almost didn't even apply but decided to at the last minute because of departmental "fit" and the fact that they were accepting unofficial transcripts. Serendipitous.

Ah ok well congrats! The most recent Connecticut acceptance posted is from someone with a 3.53 GPA, and GRE score of 155 V, 154 Q and 5.0 AW.

The first DePaul acceptance and the first waitlist have been posted (and one of my best friends is actually on the short list, so I'm very excited for him!).  I was wondering though how exactly that will work, if anyone has any knowledge of their process.  Are they first going through the candidates they just interviewed, and then they'll see what spots are still open after that?  I wasn't interviewed, but I haven't been rejected or waitlisted yet either.  Maybe they have an "informal waitlist for the waitlist" for all the other non-interviewed candidates.  As a Duquesne graduate, I can tell you that they do that!  On the other hand, the rejection letter could be in the mail right now lol.

Do you think you could tell me where these lists are "posted" or how I could see them?

Thank you.

3.97 Undergrad GPA from unknown small liberal arts college. Summa cum laude anticipated.

169 verbal/156 quant./4.00 writing.

A lot of French, some German, a little Latin.

7 undergraduate conference presentations. 1 publication (no name). A few minor awards.

Interests: Continental, esp. existentialism/phenomenology and critical theory.

Applied to: Vanderbilt, Penn State, New School, DePaul, Duquesne, Fordham, Emory, U Oregon, U Memphis, Loyola Chicago, U Kentucky, Marquette, U Montana (MA), and Miami Ohio (MA).

Accepted to (so far): U Kentucky, full funding.

I see Vanderbilt, Penn State, DePaul, and Oregon are already sending out notifications, but I haven't received any official reject yet.

Ah ok well congrats! The most recent Connecticut acceptance posted is from someone with a 3.53 GPA, and GRE score of 155 V, 154 Q and 5.0 AW.

That's me, I posted immediately after reading your post. They hadn't even received my LORS yet. The hitch is I was only offered one year of funding, which makes it an unlikely option. Nonetheless, it's eased my anxiety (from a 10 to an 8).

It's either an affirmation that adcoms do indeed turn down higher scores in favor of more "telling" parts of the application (a point which the Splintered Mind and many dept websites to go great lengths to make--and is evidenced by the results log) or an example of the vagaries of the admissions process. It could have just been that they like Geminis...

So let's not lose hope just yet!

For what it's worth--if there are any Duquesne apps out there--Duquesne hasn't even started LOOKING at applications yet as they're in the middle of courting new hire candidates (viz. don't expect good or bad news for at least a couple weeks). And from what I know about DePaul, you might be put on (and kept on) a wait list for months. If this is your first rodeo, don't assume anything until you've heard it from the source. Has X university started sending out notifications? Rejections? Offers? Waitlists? It doesn't matter--the season's barely begun and most everything is still up in the air. 

That's me, I posted immediately after reading your post. They hadn't even received my LORS yet. The hitch is I was only offered one year of funding, which makes it an unlikely option. Nonetheless, it's eased my anxiety (from a 10 to an 8).

It's either an affirmation that adcoms do indeed turn down higher scores in favor of more "telling" parts of the application (a point which the Splintered Mind and many dept websites to go great lengths to make--and is evidenced by the results log) or an example of the vagaries of the admissions process. It could have just been that they like Geminis...

So let's not lose hope just yet!

Oh ok -- very surprising that you were only offered one year of funding! It says on the program web site that they guarantee at least four years of full funding.

I may or may not be drunk as hell with sadness at the moment, but to whoever got those Oregon acceptances: Congrats. What did they say? Also, I'm extemely jealous. I would do ANYTHING to go here, and not getting a call/email pains me to no end.

anybody want to claim the Oregon admits?

I may or may not be drunk as hell with sadness at the moment, but to whoever got those Oregon acceptances: Congrats. What did they say? Also, I'm extemely jealous. I would do ANYTHING to go here, and not getting a call/email pains me to no end.

I received one of the Oregon acceptances. I got a phone call and was offered a funded position for five years with TA. I was also invited to visit campus on the last week of February. Depending on how things go with other schools, there is a good chance that I will turn down this offer, so whoever is on the waiting list (someone just posted they were on the very top) might get in soon.

Thanks! I just graduated from from the University of Colorado Denver this past December, which unlike the more known Colorado Boulder, is much more into continental thought. I have a 3.64 GPA (I had to explain on my personal statement why some grades on my freshman year pulled my GPA down) and a 164 verbal, 150 quantitative, and 5.0 writing. Hopefully they let you know if you are in the waiting list soon.

I received one of the Oregon acceptances. I got a phone call and was offered a funded position for five years with TA. I was also invited to visit campus on the last week of February. Depending on how things go with other schools, there is a good chance that I will turn down this offer, so whoever is on the waiting list (someone just posted they were on the very top) might get in soon.

hai, I'm the other Oregon acceptance on the results board and also waiting to hear back from DePaul, so I guess you and I are in the same boat Philosophy88. (out of curiosity, would you mind sharing your area of interest/topic of writing sample?) I was offered a similar, if not the same, funding package and really like the idea of living in Eugene despite the fact that I'm still waiting to hear back from more competitive departments, so I can't say if I will pass on the offer or not.

Someone has just logged a rejection notice from DePaul by email. Does anyone want to claim this and say if it was solicited, or if DePaul had been in contact with them previously?

On another note: Historically speaking, this is the week that Emory and Fordham make offers. On pins and needles over here.

I have still yet to hear an official rejection from any school, but the fact that there are a few acceptances and waitlists posted for Oregon and DePaul have led me to believe that I am (implicitly) rejected. Anyone else feeling like this? Though the fact that DePaul sent out a rejection via e-mail (and I didn't get one yet) leaves me a little hope?