2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

hai, I'm the other Oregon acceptance on the results board and also waiting to hear back from DePaul, so I guess you and I are in the same boat Philosophy88. (out of curiosity, would you mind sharing your area of interest/topic of writing sample?) I was offered a similar, if not the same, funding package and really like the idea of living in Eugene despite the fact that I'm still waiting to hear back from more competitive departments, so I can't say if I will pass on the offer or not.

No problem! My interests are in Hegel, Marx, and critical theory in particular. In more general terms, I am interested in 19th and 20th century continental philosophy as well as political philosophy. I am also still debating where to go but I think it would be more between DePaul and SUNY Stony Brook (unless I get accepted somewhere more competitive), since they are both good departments and I tend to like living closer to larger cities.

What are your research interests?? 

No problem! My interests are in Hegel, Marx, and critical theory in particular. In more general terms, I am interested in 19th and 20th century continental philosophy as well as political philosophy. I am also still debating where to go but I think it would be more between DePaul and SUNY Stony Brook (unless I get accepted somewhere more competitive), since they are both good departments and I tend to like living closer to larger cities.

What are your research interests?? 

Right on! My main focus is Arendt, but more generally 20th century continental, esp. Derrida and Levinas, and political philosophy, esp. democratic theory. I've more or less applied to departments that have strong Arendt scholars, which has led me to some poli sci programs as well, but it'll probably come down to the phil programs. Still waiting to hear from DePaul, Emory, and Boston College! good luck!!!

Right on! My main focus is Arendt, but more generally 20th century continental, esp. Derrida and Levinas, and political philosophy, esp. democratic theory. I've more or less applied to departments that have strong Arendt scholars, which has led me to some poli sci programs as well, but it'll probably come down to the phil programs. Still waiting to hear from DePaul, Emory, and Boston College! good luck!!!

Good luck to you too! Did you apply to The New School? I know they have a great Arendt tradition but I've heard they provide little financial aid.

Yikes, C4L...our interests are similar enough that I imagine it's unlikely that any program would take both of us. Hopefully someday we will be reading each others' papers, even if it is from separate institutions. Good luck!

Oh ok -- very surprising that you were only offered one year of funding! It says on the program web site that they guarantee at least four years of full funding.

Yes it does, but the email said only 2013-14 and I didn't want to be presumptuous. I clarified with Prof Beall, and it is indeed 4 years guaranteed. So yay!

Hey, so it looks like one person has been accepted to Arizona. Anyone else want to claim an acceptance? I applied, but it seems unlikely that they would just accept one person so far... Anyone have thoughts or info?

Yes it does, but the email said only 2013-14 and I didn't want to be presumptuous. I clarified with Prof Beall, and it is indeed 4 years guaranteed. So yay!

I'm hiding my jealousy really well, aren't I? :) I emailed JC Beall and he basically said that it's still early so I just need to sit tight for now.

What was your writing sample on/what areas do you specialize in?

Good luck to you too! Did you apply to The New School? I know they have a great Arendt tradition but I've heard they provide little financial aid.

the New School is probably my dream school, but didn't apply because I didn't want to be tempted to take out more loans if I got in with no funding... :(

Yikes, C4L...our interests are similar enough that I imagine it's unlikely that any program would take both of us. Hopefully someday we will be reading each others' papers, even if it is from separate institutions. Good luck!

word. probably unlikely, but it'd also be really awesome to have two new Arendtians holding it down somewhere together. you never know :)

My status still says 'Pending' for U Wisconsin -- I'm assuming this means I'm on the Wait List?

Does it? I'm in the same boat as you, but I'd really like some official confirmation of one's place on the waitlist... Also, anyone else heard from Colorado?

Does it? I'm in the same boat as you, but I'd really like some official confirmation of one's place on the waitlist... Also, anyone else heard from Colorado?

I think U Madison has a tendency to use a very long wait list, judging from the pattern found in previous years' results.

As for Colorado, I've heard nothing. All I see is that one lone acceptance with the note saying that Colorado (a very good school but not breaking top 20 on the Gourmet report) accepted 4 out of 240 applications. That is about a 1.6% acceptance rate. If this is true, then it is absolutely mind boggling. You'd expect this acceptance rate from NYU.

I think U Madison has a tendency to use a very long wait list, judging from the pattern found in previous years' results.

As for Colorado, I've heard nothing. All I see is that one lone acceptance with the note saying that Colorado (a very good school but not breaking top 20 on the Gourmet report) accepted 4 out of 240 applications. That is about a 1.6% acceptance rate. If this is true, then it is absolutely mind boggling. You'd expect this acceptance rate from NYU.

I'd think that acceptance rate probably has more to do with the size of the program than it's prestige, at least in the top-50. I'd assume that well-known programs in the top-50 will all get a similar number of applications (~200), and if that's the case, then a more prestigious school with a bigger incoming class will have a higher acceptance rate than a less prestigious one with a smaller incoming class.

I'm hiding my jealousy really well, aren't I? :) I emailed JC Beall and he basically said that it's still early so I just need to sit tight for now.

What was your writing sample on/what areas do you specialize in?

He is absolutely correct! The majority of programs have YET to release decisions! Also, I'm confident you will get into a program high on your list.

PM me and we can talk about our interests/samples!

My status still says 'Pending' for U Wisconsin -- I'm assuming this means I'm on the Wait List?

Unclear that's the case—I think it may just mean that the application is under review. If you click the "Enter" link below that, you'll be taken to a page that has a "Status Description", which is supposed to be where the latest updated status will be. Mine says that the application has been received and will be reviewed.

Edited by rudolflingens

The Vanderbilt drama is interesting. Does anyone know if the first rejection posted was an outright one?

Not sure if you're referring to my posting of February 7th, which was the first "rejection" I see. As said in the description, I emailed to ask about my status. More specifically, I was told that 7 offers were made, and 7 "or so" people placed on a waiting list. And yeah, that I wasn't on either of these. So yeah, I called that a rejection even though it was packaged neatly.

In other news, Boston College has its first acceptance posted. Anyone want to claim that? And does anyone have additional details there?

Not sure if you're referring to my posting of February 7th, which was the first "rejection" I see. As said in the description, I emailed to ask about my status. More specifically, I was told that 7 offers were made, and 7 "or so" people placed on a waiting list. And yeah, that I wasn't on either of these. So yeah, I called that a rejection even though it was packaged neatly.

It really depends on the school and even changes year to year for each school, but it's not out of the question for a program to draw from the larger unofficial waitlist after they've gone through the shorter official one.  Sure, the probability of rejection is greater than the probability of acceptance, but there's no certainty of rejection at this point when they leave it open like that.  With a waitlist of about 7 people, I could see them going through the whole thing if a number of people are accepting offers at other schools.  So much of it is luck.