2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

I'm in the same boat. I called there. The person on the phone said that if it still says "pending" and you haven't received any notification, then they're still making a decision. 

On the application, I clicked the button that said please be considered for MA if not for PhD... so maybe that's why I've had no response? Who knowwwwwwwwws. 

I also clicked that button. Perhaps that is the case.

Judging from what it says on their "applications FAQ" (link above), I think there's a good chance that this is the case.

Judging from what it says on their "applications FAQ" (link above), I think there's a good chance that this is the case.

would either of you consider attending if you were accepted to the MA program?

So there have been two Stanford acceptances logged so far. Intuitively I want to say that these were unofficial telephone calls from a professor to students in his subfield. I emailed the graduate admissions coordinator and was told that "admissions decisions will be mailed out by the end of the month". Looking at the results search history it appears that telephone calls for acceptances are not typical and that email is the traditional way applicants learn whether they are accepted or not.

Don't start crying yet boys, we might still be in the running!

Red Bull, is your list of schools determined entirely by a desire to live in California? If so, why not USC/UCLA, UCR, UCI, or UCSC?

I could only afford to apply to a handful of programs. I chose programs based on the individual scholars that I wanted to work with. 

Hey Red Bull, how did you learn you were rejected from UCSD? Do you just surmise that because all the offers were already posted on the survey page or did you receive an email?

I emailed the graduate admissions coordinator and he told me that I didn't get in. I didn't post it on the results page because it wasn't an official rejection. Based on our conversation the acceptances have already gone out. The guy was really polite about it. It's still hard news to hear.

Does anyone know what's going on with a University of Kentucky? Acceptances have been posted, but I've received no notice.

I was one of those acceptances, but I don't know anything beyond that. I would easily believe that they have an unofficial wait-list. 

If you don't mind my asking, hasbeen, which schools did you apply to?

UK, SLU, Washington University in St. Louis, Northwestern, DePaul, Loyola Chicago, and Duquesne.

Northwestern and WashU have rejected me so far. They were reaches anyway.

My situation is unusual, as I'm trying to match up my schools with my fiancée, who is going to match soon for a residency in internal medicine. Her rank list is due this weekend, so it's been rather stressful trying to find information that could affect the order of her schools.

I solicited a response from DePaul, and was told I was not accepted. On the plus side, my writing sample was remembered. The university reported that there were over a 150 applicants. It would seem if you haven't heard either way, then you're probably rejected. Still waiting on Oregon and Stony Brook to reply to my e-mails.

Edited by iamtheother

UK, SLU, Washington University in St. Louis, Northwestern, DePaul, Loyola Chicago, and Duquesne.

Northwestern and Wash U have rejected me so far. They were reaches anyway.

My situation is unusual, as I'm trying to match up my schools with my fiancée, who is going to match soon for a residency in internal medicine. Her rank list is due this weekend, so it's been rather stressful trying to find information that could affect the order of her schools.

I applied to the last four on your list, and am also trying to coordinate with my fiancee who is looking for an internship in Equine Medicine (she'll be graduating a D.V.M. in May).

I applied to the last four on your list, and am also trying to coordinate with my fiancee who is looking for an internship in Equine Medicine (she'll be graduating a D.V.M. in May).

Hehe looks like some of the same schools are keeping us waiting.

My biggest fear is that my fiancee's rank list gets submitted, and then about a week later I receive an acceptace from a school but her corresponding residency choice is fourth on her list.  The computer matches most people to their first or second choice, so that fourth choice is probably not going to matter.  I'm guessing you have a similar fear, with the possibility that your acceptances won't correspond geographically.

Edited by hasbeen

So I made a couple phone calls today:  

- UK has me in a group of people 8th through 11th on the alternate list.  David Bradshaw said they go down that far into the waitlist a lot of the time but not always, so if anyone else is somewhere in that range, it could go either way but accepted applicants have until April 15 to decide.

- Loyola-Chicago will be meeting in the middle of next week.  Mark Waymack didn't say if they were making final decisions then, but he said they'll know a lot more by that point.  He recommended I email the graduate program director Victoria Wike on Thursday of next week.

On another note, that was a massacre just committed by UNC-Chapel Hill.  Wow.

Is the USC rejection for real? Who can tell us more about it?

Oh, I just saw that it is University of South Carolina, not University of Southern California. Makes more sense then. USCalifornia will probably only send notifications during the first week of March according to my search through the last years. That's why this rejection would have surprised me.

Quoting myself, haha, I am already becoming as narcissistic as some philosophy scholars...