2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

"Moreover, fellowship offers that are declined are not re-offered to another applicant; so there is never a "waiting list." The Department is philosophically opposed to waiting lists for the same reason that we are opposed to offering different aid packages to different students." (from here)

Hi philosophia3,

I just posted a interview for DePaul. They contacted me on Friday and told me that I had made it to the next round in their deliberations. They might not be done with sending out emails yet, so there might still be a chance. However, they did say that interviews will take place on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of next week, while the final decision will be made on Friday.

Hi philosophia3,

I just posted a interview for DePaul. They contacted me on Friday and told me that I had made it to the next round in their deliberations. They might not be done with sending out emails yet, so there might still be a chance. However, they did say that interviews will take place on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of next week, while the final decision will be made on Friday.

Bummer. I'm not getting an interview then, I'm guessing.

Good luck to you, though! I wish you well. 

Hi philosophia3,   I just posted a interview for DePaul. They contacted me on Friday and told me that I had made it to the next round in their deliberations. They might not be done with sending out emails yet, so there might still be a chance. However, they did say that interviews will take place on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of next week, while the final decision will be made on Friday.
congrats!

Two people registered acceptances to Northwestern on the results page. If it's anyone here, can you tell us anything else? Was it an acceptance email, or an email to check your status on the application page? Was there any funding information or fly-out invitation?

It was an acceptance email w/ a funding offer and an invite.

Thank you for your answer. I'm in exactly the same loop of rationalization, but - as you say - it doesn't seem very likely that they, for some reason, would decide not send out their offers all at once. This is indeed quite horrible...

And yet, if you scroll through the history on the Reults Search, there have been times when people have reported receiving decisions from UChicago a few days apart.  I'm probably going to keep hoping until Tuesday or Wednesday...

And yet, if you scroll through the history on the Reults Search, there have been times when people have reported receiving decisions from UChicago a few days apart.  I'm probably going to keep hoping until Tuesday or Wednesday...

Let's hope you're right :)

Here is some more or less inside scoop on three departmens that show up on the report so far: On the Ohio State Acceptance (Not me): This is for a fellowship competition. There will be more acceptances. I heard this from someone in the department. On all the Notre Dame rejections (Phew, not me yet), here is a post from Fritz Warfield on Leiter's blog explaining the process: Here's how a large number of applications (more than half of the total number in a typical year) get eliminated before a full reading of a writing sample. This reports my own practice. I don't know how closely my practice resembles how others work. At Notre Dame the admissions chair looks at every application. When I am on the committee as I often am, I also look at every application. For many applications I see the following: (a) what appears to be a weak transcript, either concerning philosophy background, grades, or both; (B) average or below average GRE scores; © letters that don't in any way indicate that the student is a standout or that the GRE and/or transcript is deceptively weak. In such a case I'll start reading the writing the sample and in most cases I'll get quick confirmation that the student is not a plausible applicant to our program and I'll stop reading and not recommend the file for further consideration. This year my judgement exactly matched the judgement of the Notre Dame admissions chair about what files to eliminate from consideration at the early stage in well over 95% of the cases. Where our initial judgements did not match, the file was kept alive for further consideration. Source: http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2011/03/are-some-schools-using-undisclosed-gre-cut-offs-in-admissions-decisions.html On the Baylor Interviews (Yay, that is me): Heard from someone who went last year that the 12 interviews typically result in 6 offers and 6 waitlists. That is unless you have baby bones sticking out your teeth during the interview of course. There, no all you good Bayesian evidentialists can do some credence adjustments.

just realized, based on UCSDs past record of number of admitees, that anyone who didn't get a call probably didn't get in. Bummer for me (and probably 300 others) but awesome for those who got in :-) here is a link to the UCSD page with the stats: http://philosophy.ucsd.edu/graduate/prospective.html

So in recent years, Vanderbilt philosophy has pretty consistently sent out their acceptances right about now (Feb 2 - 6). Feeling especially nervous about this one.

Has anyone been in contact with the philosophy department there regarding decisions this year?

just realized, based on UCSDs past record of number of admitees, that anyone who didn't get a call probably didn't get in. Bummer for me (and probably 300 others) but awesome for those who got in :-) here is a link to the UCSD page with the stats: http://philosophy.ucsd.edu/graduate/prospective.html

You are assuming that the percentage of applicants that report their admits here every year is the same, an assumption that is quite unfounded. Hold your horses and think before you spread your dismay to others. 

Edited by Red Bull

You are assuming that the percentage of applicants report their admits here every year, one that is quite unfounded. Hold your horses and think before you spread your dismay to others. 
perhaps you can read more carefully before responding - note the word "probably". further, I think we can count on everyone here being savvy enough to recognize that the data on this website is all unverified - and as such - not to be taken as solid fact :-)

Very much so. Writing sample was a critique of Kripke on reference failure/pretense. 
sounds interesting! so I am curious, do you have a stand on the kripke controversy? (http://linguafranca.mirror.theinfo.org/Archive/whose.html) for those who aren't familiar with it