2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

This seems unprecedented.  Hopefully the person steps forward.

They started reviewing on December 17th, so it's plausible I suppose.  I wonder when they started reviewing last year.

From their site:  "Applications completed by December 17 (applications for which all supplemental materials have been received by Monday, December 17, 2012), will receive first consideration. We will continue to accept application after December 17, 2012."

P.S...I imagine people will start hearing from UNC relatively soon.

Duke and UNC have, in previous years, tended to notify people around the end of Jan/beginning of Feb

It looks like Chicago also tends to start accepting around the end of January, but later for rejections.

Pretty impressive! Your numbers look good, and you have a master's already? This question is prying, but our interests are similar, so I was wondering: why aren't you applying to more prestigious programs, like Rutgers, Oxford, or Yale? 

Well, thanks. Personally, I don't think my stats are that amazing, and I should mention that my BA and first master's are from an unknown state school (my second master's is from Duke -- but it's in theology, so that won't mean anything to some programs). So, I tried to have a good mix of first- and second-tier schools. Geography is also an important factor for me.

Looks like a stellar profile, with the only weak point being the JD GPA, but I doubt that matters at all to philosophy admissions people.

Thanks but, like Quodlibet above, I'm not sure it'll take me very far given that the schools on my list are so competitive.  Hopefully I don't get dinged on my GRE verbal score (thought about retaking but decided to just hope that combined 1430 was good enough - perhaps not the best idea).

Primary writing sample on epistemology & secondary sample on formal semantics (didn't want to submit only a technical piece).  Probably the best I can produce right now so hopefully they'll be good enough to compete.  Suppose that I can't beat myself up about it if they are not.   

I applied to: U Oregon, Toronto, Chicago, Sydney, DePaul, Stony Brook, Maryland, WashU, Columbia, Rutgers, and Missouri.

Stats:

from small liberal arts college

overall gpa: 3.9 (major 4.0)

gre: 163V/159M/4.5AW :(

AOI: aesthetics and philosophy of music

nothing published

I am a semi-professional musician and I added a few great music related things on my CV, which I hoped would help considering my interest in phil. of music, but who knows.

I feel 90% sure I will not get in anywhere (if I do I probably won't get funding), but I knew if I didn't try my best I'd regret it forever.

I wish everyone good luck!

I knew if I didn't try my best I'd regret it forever.

I wish everyone good luck!

You have a great range of schools, and 'they' say relevant specialties like your musical background do play a role. Good luck!

Looks like someone just got accepted to Rutgers, so that makes at least two schools.

Forgot to mention in my previous post that my research interests are metaphysics and philosophy of language.

The Rutgers posting is fake.  App deadline was ten days ago.

Edited by heyspike0

So, this is my first post on this site. I have decided to join in on the discussion as the anxiety/horror of waiting for information about acceptance or rejection from various grad programs is stressful to put it politely. 

This is my first time applying to M.A. and P.h.D. programs in philosophy.  I'll post my stats, and a few thoughts, any feedback that any of you have regarding your thoughts on my information would be greatly appreciated.

I have two B.A.'s

B.A. Philosophy (Honors) TBA May, 2013 (coursework done, I'm just waiting to walk). GPA 3.9 Major GPA 3.88 (Tier 2 school)

B.A. Communication (Film Theory) May 2002 GPA 3.0 Major GPA 3.3 (Tier 1 school)

GRE Scores V: 163 Q: 153 WA: 5.0

Good writing sample & References (But I'm sure that's quite common).

I decided to do the second B.A. to negate my poor performance at my first institution, and to gain enough philosophical background to be competitive in applying to graduate programs.

Schools I'm applying to 

P.h.D: U of Toronto, U of Miami, Stony Brook, Vanderbilt, U of Nebraska-Lincoln, Simon Fraser, WashU, UC Riverside

M.A.: Tufts, Georgia State, Cal State LA, Ohio University, Arizona State

Areas of Specialization: Philosophy of Perception, Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Psychology, History of 19th & 20th Century Continental Philosophy, & British Empiricism.

I catered each application to the departments that I was applying to and picked out the areas (from the above topics) that fit. I also outlined a tentative research agenda for graduate studies that would justify why I might be worth investing thousands of the universities' dollars into. (That's not explicitly what I put but...I tried to make a case as to why I have a plan, and what that plan is).

I would love the opportunity to do scholarship, but what I am most interested in is teaching, potentially at a community college. 

What I do not know, is realistically, how does my information seem? I know that many if not all of you may be unable to answer such a question, but guesses are appreciated as well. 

What has begun to make me nervous is seeing that two people have posted acceptance into UC Riverside. I have logged into the system and my application is still 'under review' but that could mean many things. I spoke with someone in the department when I was sending materials (roughly a month ago) and he said the short list would have to be made around now, so people posting acceptance sounds right to me. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I wish everyone good luck, and I hope that we all get into great programs.

On 1/20/2013 at 4:21 AM, presentnotabsent said:

So, this is my first post on this site. I have decided to join in on the discussion as the anxiety/horror of waiting for information about acceptance or rejection from various grad programs is stressful to put it politely. 

This is my first time applying to M.A. and P.h.D. programs in philosophy.  I'll post my stats, and a few thoughts, any feedback that any of you have regarding your thoughts on my information would be greatly appreciated.

I have two B.A.'s

B.A. Philosophy (Honors) TBA May, 2013 (coursework done, I'm just waiting to walk). GPA 3.9 Major GPA 3.88 (Tier 2 school)

B.A. Communication (Film Theory) May 2002 GPA 3.0 Major GPA 3.3 (Tier 1 school)

GRE Scores V: 163 Q: 153 WA: 5.0

Good writing sample & References (But I'm sure that's quite common).

I decided to do the second B.A. to negate my poor performance at my first institution, and to gain enough philosophical background to be competitive in applying to graduate programs.

Schools I'm applying to 

P.h.D: U of Toronto, U of Miami, Stony Brook, Vanderbilt, U of Nebraska-Lincoln, Simon Fraser, WashU, UC Riverside

M.A.: Tufts, Georgia State, Cal State LA, Ohio University, Arizona State

Areas of Specialization: Philosophy of Perception, Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Psychology, History of 19th & 20th Century Continental Philosophy, & British Empiricism.

I catered each application to the departments that I was applying to and picked out the areas (from the above topics) that fit. I also outlined a tentative research agenda for graduate studies that would justify why I might be worth investing thousands of the universities' dollars into. (That's not explicitly what I put but...I tried to make a case as to why I have a plan, and what that plan is).

I would love the opportunity to do scholarship, but what I am most interested in is teaching, potentially at a community college. 

What I do not know, is realistically, how does my information seem? I know that many if not all of you may be unable to answer such a question, but guesses are appreciated as well. 

What has begun to make me nervous is seeing that two people have posted acceptance into UC Riverside. I have logged into the system and my application is still 'under review' but that could mean many things. I spoke with someone in the department when I was sending materials (roughly a month ago) and he said the short list would have to be made around now, so people posting acceptance sounds right to me. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I wish everyone good luck, and I hope that we all get into great programs.

Aspiring philosophers of perception unite.  Good luck!

I am preparing to submit applications to MA programs.  I should mention that several PhD programs are still accepting applications as well.

I'm deciding whether to do this for ASU & Brandeis.  Applied to Colorado, Columbia, & Wisconsin PhD which have terminal MA programs I believe.  Do those programs offer MA positions to some people they reject for the PhD?

Edited by heyspike0

I'm deciding whether to do this for ASU & Brandeis.  Applied to Colorado, Columbia, & Wisconsin PhD which have terminal MA programs I believe.  Do those programs offer MA positions to some people they reject for the PhD?

Colorado and Columbia have been known to offer unfunded MA spots to a select few, otherwise rejected, applicants.  As for Wisconsin, I'm pretty sure it's all or nothing. 

Edited by notorious_biv

Schools: Memphis, Oregon, DePaul, Emory, Penn State, Vanderbilt, Stonybrook, Binghamton, Northwestern, Duquense, Georgetown, Boston College and Loyola Chicago.

MA: Georgia State and Brandeis.

Small Liberal Arts College

GPA: 3.3 Major: 3.3

GRE: 160V/134Q/4.5AW

I took two courses at Michigan State in their Philosophy grad program, both of which were 4.0. So my application has those.

My numbers are pretty bad so I'm banking my writing sample and letters

What's your interest?

Schools: Memphis, Oregon, DePaul, Emory, Penn State, Vanderbilt, Stonybrook, Binghamton, Northwestern, Duquense, Georgetown, Boston College and Loyola Chicago.

MA: Georgia State and Brandeis.

Small Liberal Arts College
GPA: 3.3 Major: 3.3

GRE: 160V/134Q/4.5AW

I took two courses at Michigan State in their Philosophy grad program, both of which were 4.0. So my application has those.

My numbers are pretty bad so I'm banking my writing sample and letters

First result seems to be in.  Someone was accepted to UCR.  Not sure if anyone here applied there, but I figured I'd let people know.

I've applied to UCR, so this interests me. Do you know anything else about this admittance? I haven't gotten a decision form them either way. One of my letters was like two days late, I hope that wasn't a factor...

I've applied to UCR, so this interests me. Do you know anything else about this admittance? I haven't gotten a decision form them either way. One of my letters was like two days late, I hope that wasn't a factor...

The accepted applicant posted some additional info on Who Got In.