2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

I took my test mid-November and included Chicago among the 4 free schools. It has been showing as received for quite some time now, since before the December 15th deadline. On the other hand, I didn't include Columbia, who uses the same online system, among my free 4, but sent the report well before the early January deadline, and they are still showing as awaiting.

Random question:

Does anyone who applied to the University of Chicago still have their official GRE score listed as "Awaiting"?  It was one of my 4 main schools on my original GRE, so I'm a little surprised it wouldn't have been received by now.

I had issues with my one too - ETS showed that it had sent the scores to Chicago on 12/12, but it was still showing as not received at the beginning of January. I emailed them to check, and they said that there had been a delay in linking up scores received to applications.  They then changed mine so that it showed as received - so you might want to chase it up by email too, just to make sure.

I had issues with my one too - ETS showed that it had sent the scores to Chicago on 12/12, but it was still showing as not received at the beginning of January. I emailed them to check, and they said that there had been a delay in linking up scores received to applications.  They then changed mine so that it showed as received - so you might want to chase it up by email too, just to make sure.

I received this response:

"There has been a delay with the adding of test scores to applications. This has not caused any difficulties with the processing of your application, so there is no need for concern. I can confirm that we have received your scores, though it may still be some time before this is reflected on your application status page.

I do apologize for the delay. Please let me know if you have any further questions."

I've enjoyed reading this thread so I figured I'd post my information as well. 1. Application list: UCLA, UC Berkeley, Stanford, USC, Arizona (Tucson), WashU, UC San Diego, UC Riverside, UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, and Washington (Seattle). 2. Undergraduate Education: Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy from Southern Methodist University (despite the name, SMU's philosophy department is heavily analytic and has some well-published philosophers amongst its faculty). 3. Philosophical Interests: Metaphysics and Philosophy of Language. 4. Grades: Mostly A's and A-'s in Philosophy 5. GRE Scores: Mediocre at 530V/590Q/4.5AW I can't really give a measure for my writing sample or my letters of recommendation since there's no reliable means by which to quantify those (arguably most crucial) aspects of the admissions process--as has already been pointed out. However, although i admit it means very little to say, I feel quite confident about both. Good luck to everyone in getting in to their top choices!

I saw that Duke has started notifying people of making the waitlist. On the off chance that one of the people who have heard from Duke has posted here/reads this thread, I'll ask some questions. Did you get an email to check the website? Did 'Waitlisted' appear where it used to just say 'Submitted'?

I was one of the people just waitlisted. I got an email that said this: "A decision has been made on your Duke Graduate School application. To view your decision letter online, please follow the instructions below."

You had to login into the Dukenet ID applicant user account you got after you submitted the application, which is different from the original app site. Under the Admissions/My Applications section on the main page, there was a little green dot, and then a button for "view decision" and "respond to offer."

You had to click the view decision button to look at the decision letter, which said among other things: "Your application is sufficiently strong to allow for the possibility of admission at a later date. Your name has therefore been placed on an alternate list from which we will choose if vacancies occur." They did not specify in the letter how many applicants they had for how many positions.

I was one of the people just waitlisted. I got an email that said this: "A decision has been made on your Duke Graduate School application. To view your decision letter online, please follow the instructions below."

You had to login into the Dukenet ID applicant user account you got after you submitted the application, which is different from the original app site. Under the Admissions/My Applications section on the main page, there was a little green dot, and then a button for "view decision" and "respond to offer."

You had to click the view decision button to look at the decision letter, which said among other things: "Your application is sufficiently strong to allow for the possibility of admission at a later date. Your name has therefore been placed on an alternate list from which we will choose if vacancies occur." They did not specify in the letter how many applicants they had for how many positions.

Thanks for the info.  Best of luck getting off the waitlist.

Two acceptances have also been posted.  Starting to get a little nervous I'm straight rejected.

Thanks for the reply. Hoping to hear from them soon, though this probably isn't a good sign for my application.

Two people registered acceptances to Northwestern on the results page. If it's anyone here, can you tell us anything else? Was it an acceptance email, or an email to check your status on the application page? Was there any funding information or fly-out invitation?

Oh god, the rejections are starting to come in. Notre Dame has just mowed down a number of unsuspecting applicants...

Notre Dame rejected people with 4.0 GPAs and great GRE scores. Guess that shows how difficult grad school is to get into or the importance of  letters and a great writing sample. 

Notre Dame rejected people with 4.0 GPAs and great GRE scores. Guess that shows how difficult grad school is to get into or the importance of  letters and a great writing sample. 

Yeah... I've already gone through this once when I applied for my MA. My impression since then, for what it's worth, is that it's almost all letters and sample. High GPAs obviously have a high corrolation with good letters and strong writing but are not, in themselves, an admission criteria (though they can, of course, prevent one's admission).

Thanks for the reply. Hoping to hear from them soon, though this probably isn't a good sign for my application.

I applied to Duke, and I'm still waiting for a reply too. My application was a bit late, though--I made the department's deadline, but missed the university's deadline. Or, maybe it's just because they haven't sent out rejections yet... Anyone else apply late, like I did? Has anyone gotten a rejection? The waiting is driving me nuts...

Edited by lesage13

Does anybody know whether the fact that U Chicago has already sent out some offers means that all other applications are either rejected or "MAPHed" ? Looking at the results from the last years, it certainly seems that way...

Oh my !

Is anyone hearing things on weekends? Gradcafe results posts go up on weekends, but I can't imagine people are receiving emails on Saturdays and Sundays.

My last application round I received a phone call from a program on a Saturday afternoon for an interview. I'd say it's rare, but it definitely can happen. Then again, I'm sure there's more than one person on the results page that posts on the weekend and fails to date it during the week.

So, don't rule out the possibility, but don't kill yourself with anxiety over the weekend. I've been doing my best to "let it go" on Saturdays and Sundays, to recuperate from the self-inflicted stress of the past week.

Does anybody know whether the fact that U Chicago has already sent out some offers means that all other applications are either rejected or "MAPHed" ? Looking at the results from the last years, it certainly seems that way...

Oh my !

I have interpreted the two acceptances as an implicit rejection. Chicago states on their departmental website that they only make one round of offers, without a waitlist. I suppose there remains a shard of hope – perhaps they simply just didn't e-mail everybody on Friday (my last name is far down the alphabetical list!), and perhaps I'll be able to keep this shard of hope alive until Tuesday at the latest – but this is despite my rational self.

I have interpreted the two acceptances as an implicit rejection. Chicago states on their departmental website that they only make one round of offers, without a waitlist. I suppose there remains a shard of hope – perhaps they simply just didn't e-mail everybody on Friday (my last name is far down the alphabetical list!), and perhaps I'll be able to keep this shard of hope alive until Tuesday at the latest – but this is despite my rational self.

Thank you for your answer. I'm in exactly the same loop of rationalization, but - as you say - it doesn't seem very likely that they, for some reason, would decide not send out their offers all at once. This is indeed quite horrible...

Unfortunately, I have concluded the same. However, it doesn't make sense for them not to have some 'implicit' waitlist even if they don't tell people about it. After all, people may turn down some of their offers, so if they can admit more students that the people who take the offers, I imagine they'll have to accept more people later...