2013 Applicants (Philosophy)

aglaea

I'm over caffeinated still and not sleeping, so I thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself and be friendly and all. 

I am currently finishing up my BA at UC Riverside, with a current 3.94 GPA (including two graduate seminars) and high-moderate GRE scores. My interests are in 19th and 20th Century "Continental" Philosophy, Asian Philosophy (specifically Buddhism and Taoism), and the thematic overlap between the two. 

My writing sample is a critique of naturalistic approaches to understanding folk psychology (specifically dealing with Paul Churchland's eliminativist objections) by reconceptualizing folk psychology as a framework which provides intelligibility to the social, intersubjective world, through Ian Hacking's discussion of "human kinds" and the making up of people. 

As for applications, for PhDs it's Columbia, Georgetown, U.Chicago, Northwestern, Notre Dame University, Princeton, Harvard, UT Austin, Boston University, Marquette University, UC Berkeley, and UC San Diego. 

And I applied to Georgia State's MA program in time for the Feb. 1 initial consideration deadline. 

So far I have heard one official rejection from Notre Dame, and am assuming rejections from the departments that have already contacted accepted applicants: Chicago, Northwestern, SDSU, and possibly Berkeley. 

My fingers are crossed but I'm not known for my optimism in life. 

To those of you who got in to UCR, the department is absolutely amazing and I'm very happy I decided to transfer here. 

sounds interesting! so I am curious, do you have a stand on the kripke controversy? (http://linguafranca.mirror.theinfo.org/Archive/whose.html) for those who aren't familiar with it

Well, I saw a talk at this past APA Eastern about Marcus's view of reference, and it's actually a bit different than Kripke's, so I don't think he's guilty of the radical kind of plagiarism people accuse him of.

Well, I saw a talk at this past APA Eastern about Marcus's view of reference, and it's actually a bit different than Kripke's, so I don't think he's guilty of the radical kind of plagiarism people accuse him of.

what is the less radical kind of plagerism? (I feel I should point out I have no stand on the issue - other than as an interested observer)

Edited by thevagrantphilosopher

I will claim that Temple acceptance! And never fear, it's a kind of unofficial early letter from two of the professors encouraging me to come and saying I'm the top of the applicant pool and they've officially recommended me for admission and that I will be officially notified in the near future.  Nominated for a fellowship, if I don't get it, offered a Departmental assistantship.  Either way, looks like 4 years of funding.  Sounds like official acceptances will be sent very soon.  
Hope this helps & good luck!

Edited by grmnda

I will claim that Temple acceptance! And never fear, it's a kind of unofficial early letter from two of the professors encouraging me to come and saying I'm the top of the applicant pool and they've officially recommended me for admission and that I will be officially notified in the near future.  Nominated for a fellowship, if I don't get it, offered a Departmental assistantship.  Either way, looks like 4 years of funding.  Sounds like official acceptances will be sent very soon.  

Thanks for the information, grmnda. Congratulations! Great accomplishment. I hope one comes my way. 

I will claim that Temple acceptance! And never fear, it's a kind of unofficial early letter from two of the professors encouraging me to come and saying I'm the top of the applicant pool and they've officially recommended me for admission and that I will be officially notified in the near future.  Nominated for a fellowship, if I don't get it, offered a Departmental assistantship.  Either way, looks like 4 years of funding.  Sounds like official acceptances will be sent very soon.   Hope this helps & good luck!
congrats!!

I'm over caffeinated still and not sleeping, so I thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself and be friendly and all.  I am currently finishing up my BA at UC Riverside, with a current 3.94 GPA (including two graduate seminars) and high-moderate GRE scores. My interests are in 19th and 20th Century "Continental" Philosophy, Asian Philosophy (specifically Buddhism and Taoism), and the thematic overlap between the two.  My writing sample is a critique of naturalistic approaches to understanding folk psychology (specifically dealing with Paul Churchland's eliminativist objections) by reconceptualizing folk psychology as a framework which provides intelligibility to the social, intersubjective world, through Ian Hacking's discussion of "human kinds" and the making up of people.    As for applications, for PhDs it's Columbia, Georgetown, U.Chicago, Northwestern, Notre Dame University, Princeton, Harvard, UT Austin, Boston University, Marquette University, UC Berkeley, and UC San Diego.  And I applied to Georgia State's MA program in time for the Feb. 1 initial consideration deadline.    So far I have heard one official rejection from Notre Dame, and am assuming rejections from the departments that have already contacted accepted applicants: Chicago, Northwestern, SDSU, and possibly Berkeley.    My fingers are crossed but I'm not known for my optimism in life.    To those of you who got in to UCR, the department is absolutely amazing and I'm very happy I decided to transfer here. 
welcome and best of luck to you!

Hi all. Here are the PhD programs I applied to (all Philosophy): Princeton, Pitt, Michigan Ann Arbor, Oxford, Cornell, UNC Chapel Hill, CUNY, Carnegie Mellon, Wisconsin Madison, Ohio State, Colorado Boulder, U of Pennsylvania, Rochester, Connecticut, UBC, Maryland, Brown, Rice, Austin Texas, Illinois Chicago, Mass Amherst, and Northwestern. I've not yet heard results from any of them.

I'm finishing up my MA at a Canadian University with a good philosophy department.

-Graduate GPA: 3.9

-GRE: 164 Verbal; 156 Quantitative; 5.5 Analytical

-Areas of interest: Philosophy of logic, history of philosophy, epistemology, metaphysics.

-MA thesis is on the semantic paradoxes (and so was my writing sample).

-Teaching experience as a TA for four different courses over the past two years

-In the process of trying to get a paper published in good journal

-In contact with a few profs from different departments I'to which I'm applying.

-Oh, and I enjoy long walks on the beach while waxing philosophical.

And obviously anxiously waiting to hear any results from my applications!

Would anyone like to claim the Vanderbilt Philosophy acceptance on the results page? This would make sense on timing, but I haven't heard from anyone else talking about this. 

Hi all. Here are the PhD programs I applied to (all Philosophy): Princeton, Pitt, Michigan Ann Arbor, Oxford, Cornell, UNC Chapel Hill, CUNY, Carnegie Mellon, Wisconsin Madison, Ohio State, Colorado Boulder, U of Pennsylvania, Rochester, Connecticut, UBC, Maryland, Brown, Rice, Austin Texas, Illinois Chicago, Mass Amherst, and Northwestern. I've not yet heard results from any of them.

I'm finishing up my MA at a Canadian University with a good philosophy department.

-Graduate GPA: 3.9

-GRE: 164 Verbal; 156 Quantitative; 5.5 Analytical

-Areas of interest: Philosophy of logic, history of philosophy, epistemology, metaphysics.

-MA thesis is on the semantic paradoxes (and so was my writing sample).

-Teaching experience as a TA for four different courses over the past two years

-In the process of trying to get a paper published in good journal

-In contact with a few profs from different departments I'to which I'm applying.

-Oh, and I enjoy long walks on the beach while waxing philosophical.

And obviously anxiously waiting to hear any results from my applications!

I'm in a similar position (Canadian MA, A average in grad courses; V167, Q159, AW3.0), and I've applied to a lot of the schools on your list: Princeton, Michigan, UNC, Wisconsin, Colorado, and Brown. Additionally, I've applied to Duke, Stanford, Toronto, UC Davis, and USC. I feel your pain, though: I haven't heard back from any my schools either--even the ones that have sent out acceptances, which I'm thinking just means I've been rejected...

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats and/or areas of interest?

Applied: Rutgers, USC, Arizona, UChicago, Boulder, OSU, Riverside, WUSTL, Miami, FSU, Temple, ASU (MA), Missouri-St.Louis (MA)
Accepted: OSU, Riverside, FSU, Temple
Rejected: UChicago (implied)

My area of interest is moral psych/action theory, (secondary- phil mind, metaphysics).
GRE 162 V, 160 Q, 4.5 AW 
BA in Philosophy and English from a no name small public college, + the summer seminar program at Boulder and a grad seminar at Temple

GPA 3.7, 3.98 in Philosophy, Defended an honors thesis in both of my majors
Presentations at 3 conferences, edited an undergraduate journal, and have TA experience
Had 1 fairly well known philosopher writing one of my letters, and I worked on my writing sample for a solid year and a half.

Have to admit that I am pretty excited and surprised by my acceptances so far! Best of luck to everyone who has yet to hear back. I feel very lucky to have heard back from some of my schools so early.

what is the less radical kind of plagerism? (I feel I should point out I have no stand on the issue - other than as an interested observer)

I think that it's possible Marcus influenced Kripke, but 1) it's not certain and 2) it would be an influence, not an instance of simply copying her idea.

I think that it's possible Marcus influenced Kripke, but 1) it's not certain and 2) it would be an influence, not an instance of simply copying her idea.
It is a messy situation to be sure - and probably quite frustrating for Marcus who I'm sure would like to be acknowledged by Kripke as at least having some influence in the conception of what became Naming and Necessity.

I'm in a similar position (Canadian MA, A average in grad courses; V167, Q159, AW3.0), and I've applied to a lot of the schools on your list: Princeton, Michigan, UNC, Wisconsin, Colorado, and Brown. Additionally, I've applied to Duke, Stanford, Toronto, UC Davis, and USC. I feel your pain, though: I haven't heard back from any my schools either--even the ones that have sent out acceptances, which I'm thinking just means I've been rejected...

Don't give up yet! There are plenty of schools on your list which have yet to send out acceptances -- most of them, in fact. And my top pick schools (and the schools at which I've been in contact with a member of the faculty) won't be giving out acceptances til late Feb/early March.

Hang in there bud! 

welcome and best of luck to you!

Thank you! I'm doing my best to find a shred of hope, but am scrambling to find some decent remaining MA back-ups that offer some form of funding. 

Thank you! I'm doing my best to find a shred of hope, but am scrambling to find some decent remaining MA back-ups that offer some form of funding. 

I'm in a similar boat. Thus far I've racked up a nice set of rejections and am definitely glad I have a solid plan 'B' setup incase I strike out this time around.

The first DePaul acceptance and the first waitlist have been posted (and one of my best friends is actually on the short list, so I'm very excited for him!).  I was wondering though how exactly that will work, if anyone has any knowledge of their process.  Are they first going through the candidates they just interviewed, and then they'll see what spots are still open after that?  I wasn't interviewed, but I haven't been rejected or waitlisted yet either.  Maybe they have an "informal waitlist for the waitlist" for all the other non-interviewed candidates.  As a Duquesne graduate, I can tell you that they do that!  On the other hand, the rejection letter could be in the mail right now lol.