Harvard Kennedy School Admissions

pete-mc

yes, no questions asked I would :) So nervous though! 

I have a feeling that you'll get in at all the schools you've applied to.

What's your personal top ranking of these schools, if you could choose regardless of funding?

Edited by PJM

I have a feeling that you'll get in at all the schools you've applied to.

What's your personal top ranking of these schools, if you could choose regardless of funding?

Well let me start by saying that I did not expect to get into HKS, SIPA or WWS. In which case I had set my heart and soul on SAIS. My time in DC made me really like the place, people etc. It's a great school if you want to transition to public/private sector depending on where you've been before. 

However, I applied to the MPP/MPA/MIA degrees at HKS, WWS and SIPA because I didn't want a grad school degree that would add little to my past experiences in IR. I'm leaning more toward these degrees now because I didn't get enough funding from the other IR schools (Fletcher gave me the best package of $20k). If I have to take a ton of loan out I'd rather make an investment that will afford me the opportunity to pay it back and love my job. Make sense?

Now, I would be reconsidering my goals, priorities etc. I would say it would be a tough call between HKS and WWS (if I got accepted). They're both going to be on the opposite ends of my affordability scale but I like the MPP structure and it's a great fit for me. Plus being in Boston offers great networking opportunities. 

Edited by intlrlns

Now, I would be reconsidering my goals, priorities etc. I would say it would be a tough call between HKS and WWS (if I got accepted). They're both going to be on the opposite ends of my affordability scale but I like the MPP structure and it's a great fit for me. Plus being is Boston offers great networking opportunities.

Sounds like Sipa is not in the run for you any more? I dont blame you, its a good school, but if I had a choice I would also go for HKS or WWS.

My personal advice, if you get full funding go for WWS. If not, then go for HKS. The reason I say this is bcs with IR schools rankings are not as important as with MBA or JD schools.

And in your field of work later, whether you went to Princeton vs. Harvard isnt really going to matter so much. I have friends from the top 6 IR schools, and they all confirmed that the brand helps get your foot in the door, and may provide a career boost in the first 2-3 years after graduation, but after that its all about your performance and personality how good you fit in/excel at your job,

My wife did such degree a few years back, and rarely does someone ask her about it any more nowadays..

Edited by PJM

Sounds like Sipa is not in the run for you any more? I dont blame you, its a good school, but if I had a choice I would also go for HKS or WWS.

My personal advice, if you get full funding go for WWS. If not, then go for HKS. The reason I say this is bcs with IR schools rankings are not as important as with MBA or JD schools.

And in your field of work later, whether you went to Princeton vs. Harvard isnt really going to matter so much. I have friends from the top 6 IR schools, and they all confirmed that the brand helps get your foot in the door, and may provide a career boost in the first 2-3 years after graduation, but after that its all about your performance and personality how good you fit in/excel at your job,

My wife did such degree a few years back, and rarely does someone ask her about it any more nowadays..

yeah somehow SIPA vs HKS is an easy decision to make. Both WWS and HKS are great names regardless so I don't think it would be a huge compromise at all despite the location problem. I'll be giving WWS serious thought if they accept me. It's a great brand name and I'll be at ease with $$. My main concern would be where I can use the alumni network/career services better to actually get a job. You see, I'm worried about the first 2-3 years at this point because I'm going to be one of the youngest at these schools. But you're right on many points and I have a lot to think about.

yeah somehow SIPA vs HKS is an easy decision to make. Both WWS and HKS are great names regardless so I don't think it would be a huge compromise at all despite the location problem. I'll be giving WWS serious thought if they accept me. It's a great brand name and I'll be at ease with $$. My main concern would be where I can use the alumni network/career services better to actually get a job. You see, I'm worried about the first 2-3 years at this point because I'm going to be one of the youngest at these schools. But you're right on many points and I have a lot to think about.

HKS probably wont like to hear it, but Princeton has the most tight-knit alumni network. There is a strong sense of cameraderie among Princetonians.

Dont worry so much about location. You're gonna be busy studying and running from one event to another. You will barely have time to be in the "city".

And, since you're still young and pretty fresh out of undergrad, you can always do a mid-career degree later at HKS, if you get in at WWS, but I wouldnt do it the other way around. Bcs thats where Harvard beats Princeton.

Waitlisted for MPP. A couple of questions for you knowledgeable folks:

1. Any guidance on what the chances are while on waitlist? Even anecdotal?

2. Is there a similar thread for SIPA MPA? I can't seem to find one...

Cheers!

Rejected. Congrats to all who got in! My first rejection this year but can't say I'm surprised. It was the only MPP degree I applied to; I'm focused on international trade/political economy so HKS wasn't really the best program for me, so I have to say they probably made a smart decision on their part.

Funny thing - I got an email from Tufts (Fletcher school) the exact same minute as I did from HKS! What are the odds for that? Got accepted there so not all bad news : )

HI, I was rejected by HKS and accepted to Fletcher. I am also focused on international trade. My specific focus is using regionalization as a method for economic development. Pardon my ignorance by why do you think HKS is not a good fit for international trade? Is it because it is more focused on domestic policy (I've heard that) but they have lots of international students who are unlikely all focused on US-Country X relations, right?

HI, I was rejected by HKS and accepted to Fletcher. I am also focused on international trade. My specific focus is using regionalization as a method for economic development. Pardon my ignorance by why do you think HKS is not a good fit for international trade? Is it because it is more focused on domestic policy (I've heard that) but they have lots of international students who are unlikely all focused on US-Country X relations, right?

Hi. I am more focused on the economic side of things, probably more so than the majority of IR MA applicants. I even briefly considered applying for an Economics degree but soon realized that my math background is not nowhere near where it needed to be (realized that I'm that interested in econ too late). My impression is that SAIS and SIPA especially offer more opportunities in terms of international economics than HKS; the degree there is MPP after all compared to all the other programs that are exclusively focused on international affairs. HKS has a lot of international students but many of them are more public policy-oriented rather than internationally oriented if you know what I mean? I haven't heard of many people either here on this board or in real life who are going to HKS and who are international economic policy-oriented. Obviously I could be wrong.  

Edited by JFactor

How good for the MPPs that they are out of the waiting race. Wondering which decisions are up next. Any bets?

Remaining:

1) MPA/ID

2) MC/MPA

3) MC/MPA Mason

4) MPA2

Edited by PJM

Admitted students, does the new tab in sparks read "newly admitted"? Something odd happens when I click "refresh" from an iPad -- a tab called "my pages" appears for a fraction of a second, but then disappears and only the "home" and "applicant" tabs are left once the page has loaded. Not sure whether that's just a placeholder that somehow reroutes the page regardless of admission status.

Wow discovering this thread is the worst possible thing that could have happened to my productivity today. I'm a MC/MPA applicant who has also applied for the Dubin Fellowship, and have joined in on the cesspool of paranoia and obsessive refreshing of my email.

Good to luck to all, fingers crossed.

The Mason Decisions went out today according to the HKS blog. Maybe we'll hear about the MPA today? Not likely though.

Edit: Last year they seem to have gone out on the same day (Mason, MPA). Actually strike that, MPA2 decisions went out a day earlier. Who knows what HKS is doing.

Edited by AUSAJAG