Acceptance Freakout Thread

Don't lose hope! I started steeling myself for rejection when acceptances were posted yesterday, then got an email today. It looks like only a few posts are up for what I think is one of the larger cohorts (could be wrong about that, don't remember the source), so it's very possible that they are coming out in waves.

you think they have a larger cohort? because one thing I am only too conscious of is that GC doesn't house ALL acceptances and rejections -- and I just think that probably they've sent all if not all of the acceptances already -- for every 1 acceptance posted here I assume 5 others sent out that have not been posted on the results page

berkeley has made me lose control of grammar. way to go.

Don't lose hope! I started steeling myself for rejection when acceptances were posted yesterday, then got an email today. It looks like only a few posts are up for what I think is one of the larger cohorts (could be wrong about that, don't remember the source), so it's very possible that they are coming out in waves.

Berkeley's English department changed their admittance policy last year. It used to be the case that they admitted a large number of students (~25 wouldn't be unusual) with no waitlist. The catch was that half the cohort would be unfunded. Now, they admit a regularly-sized cohort (~12) with a waitlist, like every other program. Last year an unexpectedly large number of students accepted offers of admission, so I would guess the department will try to offset some this year.

Admissions decisions aren't "rolling" per se; describing them as waves is, indeed, probably more correct. A select few will hear very early (late January). These are the students nominated for Regent's fellowships (five years fully funded no teaching). Right around now, the next tier of university-wide fellowships should be hearing (diversity fellowship nominees, chancellor's fellowships, students that chaired professors want to give money to, FLAS, etc.). Next will come the departmental fellowships, and finally the waitlist will hear. Each step happens all at once, but no step happens at the same time as another step.

Hope this helps.

(I should also add that this could be a little different this year because the department has a new DGS and a number of new staff members, including a graduate secretary who was literally just hired last week. But it seems, so far, to be following the usual pattern.)

Edited by mosquito0016

Berkeley's English department changed their admittance policy last year. It used to be the case that they admitted a large number of students (~25 wouldn't be unusual) with no waitlist. The catch was that half the cohort would be unfunded. Now, they admit a regularly-sized cohort (~12) with a waitlist, like every other program. Last year an unexpectedly large number of students accepted offers of admission, so I would guess the department will try to offset some this year.

Admissions decisions aren't "rolling" per se; describing them as waves is, indeed, probably more correct. A select few will hear very early (late January). These are the students nominated for Regent's fellowships (five years fully funded no teaching). Right around now, the next tier of university-wide fellowships should be hearing (diversity fellowship nominees, chancellor's fellowships, students that chaired professors want to give money to, FLAS, etc.). Next will come the departmental fellowships, and finally the waitlist will hear. Each step happens all at once, but no step happens at the same time as another step.

Hope this helps.

(I should also add that this could be a little different this year because the department has a new DGS and a number of new staff members, including a graduate secretary who was literally just hired last week. But it seems, so far, to be following the usual pattern.)

thanks so much -- but all students are now funded? so you can confirm that not all acceptances have been sent out yet???

thanks so much -- but all students are now funded? so you can confirm that not all acceptances have been sent out yet???

All students are now funded. I am not on the admissions committee, so it would be untruthful for me to say that I am totally sure all acceptances have not been sent. I would confidently surmise, however, that departmental fellowships (the bulk of the cohort) have yet to be sent out. The only time you'll know for sure that all offers have been sent is when people begin reporting waitlist offers, or of course if they send you a negative email before that.

Edited by mosquito0016

All students are now funded. I am not on the admissions committee, so it would be untruthful for me to say that I am totally sure all acceptance have not been sent. I would confidently surmise, however, that departmental fellowships (the bulk of the cohort) have yet to be sent out. The only time you'll know for sure that all offers have been sent is when people begin reporting waitlist offers, or of course if they send you a negative email before that.

ok. I owe you my life. I can't express how grateful I am for this information -- and how much I want to get in. I really want to get into Berkeley, but if I can't then.......

but I am very, very, very grateful for the info *hug* :)

All students are now funded. I am not on the admissions committee, so it would be untruthful for me to say that I am totally sure all acceptance have not been sent. I would confidently surmise, however, that departmental fellowships (the bulk of the cohort) have yet to be sent out. The only time you'll know for sure that all offers have been sent is when people begin reporting waitlist offers, or of course if they send you a negative email before that.

Thank you so much for this.

No problem. Happy to help. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.

I don't know if this sounds horrid, but I've heard that you guys hardly accept any international students :( I'd just like to know if this is true

also I'd like to know if waitlisters are often taken in? and when they email us if we are on the waitlist, will they tell us our position? sorry if this is asking too much. am just really eager to get in :(

I don't know if this sounds horrid, but I've heard that you guys hardly accept any international students :( I'd just like to know if this is true

also I'd like to know if waitlisters are often taken in? and when they email us if we are on the waitlist, will they tell us our position? sorry if this is asking too much. am just really eager to get in :(

Tracy it's killing me to see you this anxious.

You know, I don't know why, but we don't have many international students. There are a few Canadians, some Brits. That's about it. This is actually the subject of much speculation among grad students in the department. In short, I don't know why, but what you have heard is true.

The waitlist is very dynamic here. Many admits also get into places like HYPS, which siphon them away. Thus, people get off the waitlist all the time. If you end up on it, being eager and communicative with the DGS and prospective advisors can definitely help, too. (This is in contradistinction to most waitlists at other programs, which are quite rigid.)

The waitlist is secretly ranked. You could try fishing to find your place on it (it has been done successfully), but that could backfire. I can say that the new DGS (Prof. Tamarkin) is extremely friendly and helpful, so perhaps she'd be forthcoming with information like that.

Tracy it's killing me to see you this anxious.

awww dead *hugs* I really do want to get into Berkeley; I cannot say how much. That said -- given mosquito's honest and helpful posts -- I am resigned to my fate -- it seems that they don't even take people from asia and I don't see why I should be the first...  :unsure: 

Hi everyone, 

Congrats to everybody that has been accepted!! and fingers crossed for those still waiting. This process is unlike anything else. I can claim the NYU acceptance from two days ago, and yes, it happened on that day. Until I got accepted I had sworn off Grad Cafe because of how anxious it made me when I applied to programs the first time, so that's why I didn't claim it immediately (I had forgotten my login info and couldn't reply on the forum... whoops). Also, I am currently doing my MA at Georgetown (best MA program ever!!! btw) and can say that I was notified of my acceptance in late March. I know, a very long time to wait. Hope this helps! and again, CONGRATS TO EVERYONE!!!!!

Can someone claim the Boston College acceptance?

That was me - I got an email a couple of days ago saying that they were meeting soon to make final decisions, and last night, I got a call from Laura Tanner with the official acceptance. I know that the cohort is really small (4?), but I have no idea where they are in terms of notifying everyone. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too!! And I see that you're waiting on BU as well... the end of February seems like a really really long time from now...

awww dead *hugs* I really do want to get into Berkeley; I cannot say how much. That said -- given mosquito's honest and helpful posts -- I am resigned to my fate -- it seems that they don't even take people from asia and I don't see why I should be the first...  :unsure:

The problem with people like me (that is, people close to the process, but not actually a part of it) is that we know a lot about what's typical, probable, etc., but almost nothing for certain. Patterns are made to be broken!

The problem with people like me (that is, people close to the process, but not actually a part of it) is that we know a lot about what's typical, probable, etc., but almost nothing for certain. Patterns are made to be broken!

this is a pattern that never should have been :P I refuse to believe that in general critics from Asia who are really talented are applying to Berkeley and not getting in because they're not good enough.... :ph34r: It might be the case for a few cohorts but I doubt this is true over a sustained period of time. excuse the grammar.

Guys, I need someone to tell me I'm overreacting. I'm aware of it, but I need a virtual slap in the face.

I've applied to UPenn. They're currently reading applications. However, my country is kind of being really negatively portrayed in the media everywhere, because a large heap of misinformed people is bashing the Children's Hospital in PHILADELPHIA over a medical bill for a five year old leukemia patient from my country.

Let's just assume for one second the incredible and impossible fact that someone in the UPenn admissions committee thinks my application is acceptable (even though the chances are slim). They wouldn't say "considering where she's from, she's probably a maniac, and we won't accept her," rigt? Right?

Just reading this makes me realize how crazy this sounds, but I'm so nervous I can't help it. :(